U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 04:42 PM

20 posts, read 126,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
They called you to let you know you didn't get the job? To me that is so unnecessary
I actually thought it was very decent of him, and it made me feel better about a deeply disappointing situation. He explained that it was between me and another candidate, that he was very impressed with my qualifications, but the other candidate had a slight advantage, so the interview panel went with them.

Just as interviewees are expected to do their homework about the potential employer and personalize their thank you email/letters --ideally, interviewers would extend the same courtesy when saying "thanks, but no thanks." I don't really expect employers to personally contact every single applicant; just the ones that they interviewed. And it doesn't need to be a phone call either, a slightly personalized and brief email will do. Sometimes the job search/application process feels like being herded like cattle, and for this interviewer to call was comforting and encouraging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 04:54 PM
FBJ

39,611 posts, read 50,267,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymla77 View Post
I actually thought it was very decent of him, and it made me feel better about a deeply disappointing situation. He explained that it was between me and another candidate, that he was very impressed with my qualifications, but the other candidate had a slight advantage, so the interview panel went with them.

Just as interviewees are expected to do their homework about the potential employer and personalize their thank you email/letters --ideally, interviewers would extend the same courtesy when saying "thanks, but no thanks." I don't really expect employers to personally contact every single applicant; just the ones that they interviewed. And it doesn't need to be a phone call either, a slightly personalized and brief email will do. Sometimes the job search/application process feels like being herded like cattle, and for this interviewer to call was comforting and encouraging.

A email would have been better since most people don't want to hear bad news in a live phone call. I can't even see myself staying on the phone after hearing they went with someone else because what else is there left to say?

That's why a email makes more sense

Old 06-16-2013, 05:47 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,660,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
The fact that they are checking references is a good sign. Wait, at this point.
Absolutely true!!

Old 06-16-2013, 09:19 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,706,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymla77 View Post

i've had a couple of phone rejections and while i know that the managers have good intentions, and i appreciate that, especially when they give you some encouragement and feedback, it can really get your hopes up for nothing. typically rejections come by mail or e-mail. a phone call means an offer. so if i get a phone call from the employer, it's a huge bummer to find out that it's a rejection.

i did have one interview where i was told that both offers and rejections would come by phone call. at least in that case i knew that i shouldn't make any assumptions about what kind of news would be coming in a call.

i don't have any trouble dealing with the rejection though, i just say i'm disappointed but thank them for letting me know.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:21 PM
FBJ

39,611 posts, read 50,267,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i've had a couple of phone rejections and while i know that the managers have good intentions, and i appreciate that, especially when they give you some encouragement and feedback, it can really get your hopes up for nothing. typically rejections come by mail or e-mail. a phone call means an offer. so if i get a phone call from the employer, it's a huge bummer to find out that it's a rejection.

i did have one interview where i was told that both offers and rejections would come by phone call. at least in that case i knew that i shouldn't make any assumptions about what kind of news would be coming in a call.

i don't have any trouble dealing with the rejection though, i just say i'm disappointed but thank them for letting me know.

Thank you, normally a phone means they are going to offer you the job. I know it sounds unprofessional but I think it would be really hard for me not to hang up if a interviewer called to say i didn't get the job.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:31 PM

17,000 posts, read 20,661,755 times
Quote:

This is very true. Years ago I did an phone interview from CA to WA and it went very well, the position was almost identical to my current job.

I had a VM at home about a week later asking me to call one of the people who interviewed me back. I thought for sure it was a job offer.

I called her back only to be told by her live that I didn't get the job, I just don't know why she couldn't have said that on her VM. While it's not what you want to hear, hearing it on a VM would have been easier to take than hearing it live. You don't have to react to a VM.

So I ended up paying for a long distance call only to be told I didn't get the job....LOL.

I think as a courtesy you should hear back, but do it in the form of an email.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:36 PM

ugh, a voice mail without specifics is even worse! seirously, at that point you just need to leave the rejection in the voicemail.

i haven't had that happen but i did have hr call me after an interview to say they wanted to talk to me about "this position". and then the woman didn't call me back, then was out of the office, etc through several business days and a weekend.

it turns out i wasn't hired for the job i interviewed for but she had another position she thought i might be interested in. she REALLY could have left a more specific voice mail!

Old 06-16-2013, 10:59 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,190,570 times
Wow, I disagree. Having the opportunity over the phone to hear more about wht you weren't chosen is gold for future reference. And even though disappointed I'd want to leave as good an impression as I could in hopes there would be another job down the line with this employer

Old 06-16-2013, 11:11 PM

17,000 posts, read 20,661,755 times
Quote:
ugh, a voice mail without specifics is even worse! seirously, at that point you just need to leave the rejection in the voicemail.

i haven't had that happen but i did have hr call me after an interview to say they wanted to talk to me about "this position". and then the woman didn't call me back, then was out of the office, etc through several business days and a weekend.

it turns out i wasn't hired for the job i interviewed for but she had another position she thought i might be interested in. she REALLY could have left a more specific voice mail!
Eaxctly groar, just say on the VM as to why you're calling. It saves us all time. In my example if she had just stated we went with an internal candidate(which is what she told me when I called back long distance) it would have been enough. There was no reason to talk live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Wow, I disagree. Having the opportunity over the phone to hear more about wht you weren't chosen is gold for future reference. And even though disappointed I'd want to leave as good an impression as I could in hopes there would be another job down the line with this employer
Ummmm....no company these days(or even going back the last 15yrs or so) is going to tell you why you didn't get the job other than they went with another candidate. They certainly aren't going to go into any detail as to why you weren't chosen.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
i would feel extremely awkward asking for feedback over the phone. i'd feel like i was putting the person on the spot and potentially making them uncomfortable.

if they volunteer the information, that's great, but they could do that in an e-mail or letter as well. and if they e-mail the rejection (from their own e-mail address rather than an automated system), you can ask for feedback, which gives them more of a choice as to whether they want to respond, and time to think about their answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or