Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 06:03 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,620,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Ummmm....no company these days(or even going back the last 15yrs or so) is going to tell you why you didn't get the job other than they went with another candidate. They certainly aren't going to go into any detail as to why you weren't chosen.
it's rare, but i've had it happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 10:50 AM

20 posts, read 152,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i don't have any trouble dealing with the rejection though, i just say i'm disappointed but thank them for letting me know.
That's exactly what I did. I remained poised and calm, and told him that while I was very disappointed, I truly appreciated him taking the time to make a courtesy call (he explained that he wanted to let me know before I received the generic email).

Based on his choice of words/statements, I get the impression that the panel's choice was split between me and the other candidate. If this is the case, I'd like to think that if it doesn't work out with the selected candidate, I showed poise in handling a difficult situation, and my chances of being re-considered improve. Or he may even consider me for a future job opening.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymla77 View Post
That's exactly what I did. I remained poised and calm, and told him that while I was very disappointed, I truly appreciated him taking the time to make a courtesy call (he explained that he wanted to let me know before I received the generic email).

Based on his choice of words/statements, I get the impression that the panel's choice was split between me and the other candidate. If this is the case, I'd like to think that if it doesn't work out with the selected candidate, I showed poise in handling a difficult situation, and my chances of being re-considered improve. Or he may even consider me for a future job opening.
yep, i think that's a good strategy.

you never know when a person might come up again in your career, or when another position might open up in the same company/organization. taking rejection gracefully can make an impression and really work out in your favor. i know that one of my phone rejections probably happened because my contact really really liked me and i even got the impression that she thought that they made the wrong decision, but was overruled. she wanted to tell me how great she thought i was and that i should keep an eye out for other jobs at her organization. that was nice, even if the initial disappointment was tough.

i was the second choice for my current job and the person they chose over me never showed up. you just can't know what's going to happen. and in today's job market, coming in as a close second is nothing to be ashamed of (although of course it's nicer if you come in first!)

Old 06-17-2013, 12:57 PM

14 posts, read 115,792 times
Quote:
Could it be possible that we interviewed for the same job? Your circumstances sounds eerily similar to mine. Unfortunately for me, I didn't get the job. The Director who will supervise the position (and was part of the interview panel) personally called me to give me the news. He was polite, gracious and thoughtful and I very much appreciated the courtesy. While I'm incredibly disappointed, I do believe whomever gets to work with him will be very fortunate.

Nonetheless, whether or not we interviewed for the same position: good luck!
Sorry to hear you didn't get the job! I don't think we interviewed for the same position because I interviewed with a female director.

And the good new is that I did get the job! Thanks everyone for telling me to be patient - it really does pay to wait! They are still waiting for clearance from the university but called to give me an informal offer. Since this nonprofit is separate from the university in funding, they don't expect a problem with getting cleared, it's basically a formality. I should be getting an official offer this week! (Of course, I'm still keeping all my options open in case this falls through, including going to another interview tomorrow).

Old 06-17-2013, 01:07 PM

congratulations!!!! thanks for sharing the good news!

Old 06-17-2013, 01:44 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,791,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Wow, I disagree. Having the opportunity over the phone to hear more about wht you weren't chosen is gold for future reference. And even though disappointed I'd want to leave as good an impression as I could in hopes there would be another job down the line with this employer

Future reference? So someone is supposed to sit around and wait for a job to open up at that place in the future? LOL

It's called MOVING ON with your life

Old 06-17-2013, 01:45 PM
FBJ

Quote:

How do you know you would be in position to accept a future job with that company? Unless you plan to just sit around and hope another opportunity opens up.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
How do you know you would be in position to accept a future job with that company? Unless you plan to just sit around and hope another opportunity opens up.
No one is saying to sit around and wait. But you might get some feedback that applies to future jobs you apply to, even if it's not at the same company. And something could certainly come up at the same company again. Why not leave the manager with a good impression? What could it hurt? It doesn't mean that you stop your job search and just wait for another chance at the same place, but why not keep your options open there? Getting rejected isn't personal and it doesn't mean they wouldn't hire you under different circumstances.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:27 PM

i mean, my current job is a perfect example.

i didn't get rejected over the phone (i got a letter so it wasn't practical to reply), but imagine i did.

a month later, the person they hired didn't show up for her first day.

if they called me to reject me, and i had hung up on them, or gotten mad, do you think they would have called me up to offer me the job, which is what they ultimately did?

i didn't stop my job search to wait for them to change their minds and offer me the job, but it happened anyway. so if i'd had the opportunity, i certainly would have striven to leave them with a good impression of me even after being rejected. it's just common sense because you never know what will happen. amd it's just not a good idea in general to take things too personally, even though it's often hard not to.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:33 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
No one is saying to sit around and wait. But you might get some feedback that applies to future jobs you apply to, even if it's not at the same company. And something could certainly come up at the same company again. Why not leave the manager with a good impression? What could it hurt? It doesn't mean that you stop your job search and just wait for another chance at the same place, but why not keep your options open there? Getting rejected isn't personal and it doesn't mean they wouldn't hire you under different circumstances.

When someone calls to tell you that you were not selected, there is nothing else left to say but

"OK THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK AND HAVE A NICE DAY"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search