U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 07:46 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,254,818 times

Advertisements

I applied to this job that I want, a week later it is no longer listed on the company website, it was on the iste for 2 months or so.

And it says when I login

"job status inactive (no longer accepting job submissions) submission status completed"

What does this mean?

I have also not received a rejection email or anything

now what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 08:20 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,706,702 times
it depends on the hr software this company uses and how they use it.

they may have closed the job to new applications but are looking at the applications they have now. or they may have found someone to fill the position - 2 months is a pretty long time for a job listing to be up! your application actually might have reminded them that they need to take it down.

you may or may not get a rejection e-mail. not everyone sends them, not even to people who interview!

now what? same thing as if the job status wasn't inactive. apply to more jobs!

Old 06-13-2013, 08:28 PM

Well I have seen job listings up for over a year sometimes, so I have no idea if the duration means anything. If I get rejection letter or will the status eventually say, "no longer being considered" and I need to login to check often?I assume I will have to do this... the software is Taleo.
I have also seen jobs up one week and then no longer up the next weekI have no idea what that means

Old 06-13-2013, 09:17 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,570,081 times
Until a company contacts you, assume you are not being considered for the position and keep on looking.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
Well I have seen job listings up for over a year sometimes, so I have no idea if the duration means anything. If I get rejection letter or will the status eventually say, "no longer being considered" and I need to login to check often?I assume I will have to do this... the software is Taleo.
I have also seen jobs up one week and then no longer up the next weekI have no idea what that means
it's certainly possible for a job to be posted for a long time and still be available, but it's also not surprising for one that is 2 months old to close.

if postings are up for a week, they found someone or they decided they had enough applicants or the position got cancelled. who knows.

it's not right, but you may never get any kind of response, not even a rejection, and your status in the system might never change. nifear is right, it's best to just assume you're rejected and move on unless you hear from them. really, you should do that with every job you apply to. there's no point in doing otherwise when so many companies never get back to applicants who aren't selected.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
it's certainly possible for a job to be posted for a long time and still be available, but it's also not surprising for one that is 2 months old to close.

if postings are up for a week, they found someone or they decided they had enough applicants or the position got cancelled. who knows.

it's not right, but you may never get any kind of response, not even a rejection, and your status in the system might never change. nifear is right, it's best to just assume you're rejected and move on unless you hear from them. really, you should do that with every job you apply to. there's no point in doing otherwise when so many companies never get back to applicants who aren't selected.
That other job that was up for a week disappeared and now it's up again, and it has the old date of June 5th on it when it was posted. It was gone from the site earlier and now it's back. I don't get it all.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,748 posts, read 54,373,866 times
That happens, I have done it a few times. It normally means that the application period closed, but they didn't find anyone that they considered qualified for the position, so they posted it again.

It can also mean that they received too few applicants and wanted to cast a wider net to have a larger pool to select from.

Unless it states otherwise in the posting, you can apply again and perhaps take the opportunity to fine-tune your resume. If they need someone badly and no one better applies in this second round, they may go ahead and do interviews so you could still have a chance. If you don't re-apply they may not consider your first application.

Meanwhile I would keep looking, because your chances in this case are probably less than they were originally.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:47 AM

Do you think they could be just reviewing the applications? and then may call some folks? With this job there is a chance that I am over qualified. doesnt matter to me I want it anyways.Also these positions are not on indeed or anything. Only on their website

Last edited by Swan Dive; 06-14-2013 at 09:11 AM..

Old 06-21-2016, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 21,800 times
I applied for clinical associate position in my previous worked hospital with reference. After a week it shows pending review, but the job posted does'nt appear on the website and my status shows pending review. what is it means?

Old 06-30-2016, 01:30 PM

probably that they closed the position because they feel they have enough applicants. they are currently reviewing resumes and will be contacting people for interviews. maybe they have already started doing that, maybe they haven't.

some places will properly change your status as you move through the process but some will just leave people in a category like "pending review" forever. they may or may not tell you you're rejected. but if you're not contacted for an interview within the next couple of weeks, you PROBABLY won't be. no guarantees though, sometimes these things can just take forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search