U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2013, 03:26 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,526,822 times
Reputation: 9451

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
for the record, i got this job! i was the frontrunner all along. despite the "either way" and "other candidates" KISSES OF DEATH!!

I thought you already started a new job??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2013, 03:28 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,526,822 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan2011 View Post
I am actually going through the same situation. I had a great interview and they emailed me the same day requesting references. It will be one week tomorrow since the interview & they said they would get back to me shortly. I don't understand how anyone could give a bad reference-- that is bad karma on their end. Believe me. I don't know what is going on and I will follow up today just to show interest. I would rather they just accept or reject me...The funny thing is that they are wasting time and it makes me question whether I want to work for a company that does not respect time.

It depends on what type of reference it is because if it was a email form that your references had to complete and email back, then it may take a little longer


And hopefully you made each person on your reference list aware to expect to be contacted within in the next week or so that way they won't be caught off guard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 04:21 PM
 
7,422 posts, read 13,763,738 times
Reputation: 4944
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I thought you already started a new job??
yes, i am talking about the job i started last month.

the post i was quoting was from june, before i was offered the job, and i was following up. i actually forgot about the fact that they said "either way" and "other candidates", but this thread reminded me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 05:53 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,526,822 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
yes, i am talking about the job i started last month.

the post i was quoting was from june, before i was offered the job, and i was following up. i actually forgot about the fact that they said "either way" and "other candidates", but this thread reminded me!

If I ever "either way" I would probably throw in the towel. But I see that's not always the case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2016, 02:51 PM
 
1,545 posts, read 2,079,111 times
Reputation: 1185
I am kind of in a similar situation in regards to a particular job, interview went well-asked for references-gave references- waiting...

The golden rule is always "you don't have the job until you have the job/signed the letter" . However I have to think that you are at least in serious consideration for the job if they have approached the reference stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:33 AM
 
1 posts
Reputation: 10
Default So Confused

Hi everyone.


I applied for a job on 6/28/19. I was called about 2 weeks later for a phone screening. That went well and I was called the next week to do a face to face 2 panel interview. After that interview I realized that I knew someone that worked with this company. I reached out to her to put in a good word for me and she did. A week later the HR dept reached out and asked for my references. I sent them over and my references contacted me to let me know that they gave me glowing reviews.


This is where it gets weird. I then reached out to the girl I know at the company and she stated that she was sorry to inform me that a girl from her dept got the job I was applying for. When I heard this news I then reached out to HR and sent a follow up email from my references expecting a reply along the lines of "we are sorry to inform you...." instead I got an email stating that they haven't made a decision yet and would let me know something soon. I then asked if it would be ok to keep our lines of communication open and if I could follow up next week if I didn't hear anything. She told me of course and also told me that I'm a top candidate. Can anyone make any sense of this. Why would HR tell me that a decision hasn't been made and that I was a top candidate if they knew the position was already filled?


I need help with this one. any suggestions as to what might be happening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:39 AM
 
2,153 posts, read 1,882,234 times
Reputation: 2753
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWHITE1508 View Post
Hi everyone.


I applied for a job on 6/28/19. I was called about 2 weeks later for a phone screening. That went well and I was called the next week to do a face to face 2 panel interview. After that interview I realized that I knew someone that worked with this company. I reached out to her to put in a good word for me and she did. A week later the HR dept reached out and asked for my references. I sent them over and my references contacted me to let me know that they gave me glowing reviews.


This is where it gets weird. I then reached out to the girl I know at the company and she stated that she was sorry to inform me that a girl from her dept got the job I was applying for. When I heard this news I then reached out to HR and sent a follow up email from my references expecting a reply along the lines of "we are sorry to inform you...." instead I got an email stating that they haven't made a decision yet and would let me know something soon. I then asked if it would be ok to keep our lines of communication open and if I could follow up next week if I didn't hear anything. She told me of course and also told me that I'm a top candidate. Can anyone make any sense of this. Why would HR tell me that a decision hasn't been made and that I was a top candidate if they knew the position was already filled?


I need help with this one. any suggestions as to what might be happening?
They're just roping you along.

Keep applying and don't get attached.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:22 PM
 
6,957 posts, read 7,364,938 times
Reputation: 9890
Quote:
the funny thing is that they are wasting time and it makes me question whether I want to work for a company that does not respect time.
You have no idea what's going on on their end internally. So how you can say they're "wasting" time I have no idea.

Even them saying they'd get back to you shortly, and it's been a week, doesn't mean they're "wasting" time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top