Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 04:26 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,814,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
for the record, i got this job! i was the frontrunner all along. despite the "either way" and "other candidates" KISSES OF DEATH!!

I thought you already started a new job??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 04:28 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan2011 View Post
I am actually going through the same situation. I had a great interview and they emailed me the same day requesting references. It will be one week tomorrow since the interview & they said they would get back to me shortly. I don't understand how anyone could give a bad reference-- that is bad karma on their end. Believe me. I don't know what is going on and I will follow up today just to show interest. I would rather they just accept or reject me...The funny thing is that they are wasting time and it makes me question whether I want to work for a company that does not respect time.

It depends on what type of reference it is because if it was a email form that your references had to complete and email back, then it may take a little longer

And hopefully you made each person on your reference list aware to expect to be contacted within in the next week or so that way they won't be caught off guard

Old 08-15-2013, 05:21 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,627,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I thought you already started a new job??
yes, i am talking about the job i started last month.

the post i was quoting was from june, before i was offered the job, and i was following up. i actually forgot about the fact that they said "either way" and "other candidates", but this thread reminded me!

Old 08-15-2013, 06:53 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
yes, i am talking about the job i started last month.

the post i was quoting was from june, before i was offered the job, and i was following up. i actually forgot about the fact that they said "either way" and "other candidates", but this thread reminded me!

If I ever "either way" I would probably throw in the towel. But I see that's not always the case

Old 01-20-2016, 03:51 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,595,949 times
I am kind of in a similar situation in regards to a particular job, interview went well-asked for references-gave references- waiting...

The golden rule is always "you don't have the job until you have the job/signed the letter" . However I have to think that you are at least in serious consideration for the job if they have approached the reference stage.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 643 times
Default So Confused

Hi everyone.

I applied for a job on 6/28/19. I was called about 2 weeks later for a phone screening. That went well and I was called the next week to do a face to face 2 panel interview. After that interview I realized that I knew someone that worked with this company. I reached out to her to put in a good word for me and she did. A week later the HR dept reached out and asked for my references. I sent them over and my references contacted me to let me know that they gave me glowing reviews.

This is where it gets weird. I then reached out to the girl I know at the company and she stated that she was sorry to inform me that a girl from her dept got the job I was applying for. When I heard this news I then reached out to HR and sent a follow up email from my references expecting a reply along the lines of "we are sorry to inform you...…." instead I got an email stating that they haven't made a decision yet and would let me know something soon. I then asked if it would be ok to keep our lines of communication open and if I could follow up next week if I didn't hear anything. She told me of course and also told me that I'm a top candidate. Can anyone make any sense of this. Why would HR tell me that a decision hasn't been made and that I was a top candidate if they knew the position was already filled?

I need help with this one. any suggestions as to what might be happening?

Old 08-09-2019, 10:39 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,747,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWHITE1508 View Post
Hi everyone.

I applied for a job on 6/28/19. I was called about 2 weeks later for a phone screening. That went well and I was called the next week to do a face to face 2 panel interview. After that interview I realized that I knew someone that worked with this company. I reached out to her to put in a good word for me and she did. A week later the HR dept reached out and asked for my references. I sent them over and my references contacted me to let me know that they gave me glowing reviews.

This is where it gets weird. I then reached out to the girl I know at the company and she stated that she was sorry to inform me that a girl from her dept got the job I was applying for. When I heard this news I then reached out to HR and sent a follow up email from my references expecting a reply along the lines of "we are sorry to inform you...…." instead I got an email stating that they haven't made a decision yet and would let me know something soon. I then asked if it would be ok to keep our lines of communication open and if I could follow up next week if I didn't hear anything. She told me of course and also told me that I'm a top candidate. Can anyone make any sense of this. Why would HR tell me that a decision hasn't been made and that I was a top candidate if they knew the position was already filled?

I need help with this one. any suggestions as to what might be happening?
They're just roping you along.

Keep applying and don't get attached.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:22 PM

10,585 posts, read 12,009,720 times
Quote:
the funny thing is that they are wasting time and it makes me question whether I want to work for a company that does not respect time.
You have no idea what's going on on their end internally. So how you can say they're "wasting" time I have no idea.

Even them saying they'd get back to you shortly, and it's been a week, doesn't mean they're "wasting" time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search