U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 03:41 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,402,723 times

Advertisements

The city government job I have now is the first job ever I didn't have to fill out a application for during the hiring process and after I was hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 04:29 PM

9,036 posts, read 8,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Somehow those redundant applications still exist. I guess the nobody told the emperor that he is still naked.
Those fill in the blank applications do serve a purpose.

The usually include a waiver for both the hiring company and previous employers to talk about you and you agree not to sue. They also include waivers to allow credit/criminal background checks. Lastly, the fine print says that if you misrepresent anything on the application that is a firing offense, so employers can dismiss you years later if you lie.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:53 PM

27,440 posts, read 15,844,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Those fill in the blank applications do serve a purpose.

The usually include a waiver for both the hiring company and previous employers to talk about you and you agree not to sue. They also include waivers to allow credit/criminal background checks. Lastly, the fine print says that if you misrepresent anything on the application that is a firing offense, so employers can dismiss you years later if you lie.
You missed the point of what I was saying. What I was saying is say there was about the website says to attach your resume and it does not auto add everything in it so you repeat adding the places of employment, education with GPA even if it is already in the resume. I was not saying "why does company X have the online application this way?" As your post was implying.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:51 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,736,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Then they wanted me to list my specific experience that applied to the job posted. I had to pull this information out of my resume and format it into something that made sense.
i filled out an application that had this part, it was painful. and it asked for the last time you used the skill TO THE DAY. seriously, isn't the year enough information? it had a lot of other annoying stuff, although not quite the same as yours.

the kicker was when i went back to apply to another job, despite the fact that i had to make an account, NONE OF THE INFORMATION WAS SAVED. i decided to stop applying to this employer at that point. it would take a pretty killer job opportunity for me to go through that again.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:54 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,736,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I have done job applications that take hours to fill. To where even though they ask you to attach your college transcripts, you STILL have to list out all courses taken in chem, bio, etc.

It got to the point I made a word file on my computer and it had a lot of my responses already there so I could just copy/paste!
google docs is great for this, then you can access the documents you need anywhere. i have google docs of my cover letter template, resume, performance reviews (which i use in lieu of a reference since my current employer has a no reference policy), and also the job descriptions for all the jobs i apply for so i can refer back to them.

i just copy job descriptions/accomplishments out of my resume for applications that need them, and i edit them as needed to meet character limits.

tiny character limits are bad enough, but the best is when it doesn't tell you what the character limit is and you just have to keep doing trial and error. or when it tells you something's just wrong with the application but doesn't tell you what. or teensy text boxes where you can see like 3 words at a time. fun times!

Old 06-16-2013, 10:36 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,519,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
Sounds like my last 204 applications.
It devours your soul around #25.
This got me laughing so hard 'cause it is SO TRUE! LOL

There were days when I just said, "F&*# it!" and backed away from the computer!

It was like "let's find a way to minimize the number of applicant's for this crappy job ANY way we can!"

Oh, and how about the "personality inventory" that runs on for 30 pages! I kid you not! I did one for Borders Bookstore (no wonder they went out of business) that was that long.

And then I'd wonder where in the hell they'd find these bizarre looking kids that worked there.

After all this I took to using Craigslist and good old fashioned walk-ins and computer carrels to apply.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:38 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,519,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
somehow those redundant applications still exist. I guess the nobody told the emperor that he is still naked.
rotflmao!!!!!!!! :d

Old 06-17-2013, 02:54 AM

501 posts, read 668,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
I don't know how it is now but back when I was in college a new Walmart was going to open in town and thought I should apply there for a summer job.......I laugh every time I think about Walmart.

They want me to remember everything I did since the beginning of time. I show up and the brain-washing begins with this "It's YOUR store" video crap before I even started my first interview. I was told that if I did well after the first interview, they wanted me to come back for two more interviews.....I was like....OMFG...I'm just trying to get a part-part time cashier job for the summer working minimum wage, I'm not applying to be CEO of Walmart. LFMAO.
Don't forget that obnoxious Walmart cheer you are mandated to perform before starting your shift.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:26 AM

1,545 posts, read 2,072,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
Sounds like my last 204 applications.
It devours your soul around #25.
Quoted for the win

Old 06-17-2013, 05:16 AM

2,713 posts, read 6,237,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Oh, and how about the "personality inventory" that runs on for 30 pages!
I remember filling one of those out for a retail store application. It basically said everyone steals, how much do you steal. Something I refused to say I did steal. I might download some movies from the internet, but I've never stolen anything for an employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search