Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 10:46 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,743,126 times

Advertisements

I just spent the last 90 minutes applying for a job online.

First I had to answer a bunch of questions if I qualified for the job,
Are you over 18 years old?
Have you ever been convicted of a crime?
Are you legally able to work in this country?
Do you have experience in computers? and so on.

Then they wanted me to list my specific experience that applied to the job posted. I had to pull this information out of my resume and format it into something that made sense.

Then they wanted me to post my resume into a text only box, even after pasting it into notepad and fixing it, it still screwed up the formatting so I had to fix that.

Now I can upload my resume to the system. Not sure what the point of me posting in text for was for, if your just going to have me upload it anyway.

Then it extracts the resume jobs into a list of boxes, that I have to go into each one and confirm it translated correctly, Of course it didn't and I have to fix some and add two jobs missing.

Then it want me to break out my skills and say how much experience I have in each one and when is the last time i used it.

Not they want certifications, the cert number, when I obtained it.

Not it's on to references, I have to add each one.

This it's back to have you ever been convicted of a crime? This is one of the first questions I answered at the beginning of the application. Maybe I should have typed in I haven't been yet, but I might be before I finish this application.

A couple of agree boxes and I'm done. I'm rewarded with a canned email,

"We appreciate your interest in our company. While we would like to contact each applicant directly, due to the number of responses that we receive, we are only able to contact the most qualified candidates based on the criteria for the position..."

After all that, I think they should be down on there hands in front of me begging me to take the job. I never had to go through so much BS to fill out a job application. Complete BS if you ask me. If it wasn't a tight job market, I'd call them and tell them where to shove there online application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 10:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,134 posts, read 80,221,880 times
It does sound like they have some pretty crappy software, but if you want to work there you have to put up with it. Hopefully most are not that bad. Sometimes I wonder if they do that as a way of testing your patience.
If you give up then they didn't want you anyway.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:51 PM

503 posts, read 1,168,828 times
Sounds like my last 204 applications.
It devours your soul around #25.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Hopefully most are not that bad.
Most are not, I've seen the upload resume and it extracts it into job boxes you sometimes have to correct, but never write about your exp, copy paste in text format, upload resume, fix boxes, give experience for each skill, it was awful.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:41 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,802,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I just spent the last 90 minutes applying for a job online.

First I had to answer a bunch of questions if I qualified for the job,
Are you over 18 years old?
Have you ever been convicted of a crime?
Are you legally able to work in this country?
Do you have experience in computers? and so on.

Then they wanted me to list my specific experience that applied to the job posted. I had to pull this information out of my resume and format it into something that made sense.

Then they wanted me to post my resume into a text only box, even after pasting it into notepad and fixing it, it still screwed up the formatting so I had to fix that.

Now I can upload my resume to the system. Not sure what the point of me posting in text for was for, if your just going to have me upload it anyway.

Then it extracts the resume jobs into a list of boxes, that I have to go into each one and confirm it translated correctly, Of course it didn't and I have to fix some and add two jobs missing.

Then it want me to break out my skills and say how much experience I have in each one and when is the last time i used it.

Not they want certifications, the cert number, when I obtained it.

Not it's on to references, I have to add each one.

This it's back to have you ever been convicted of a crime? This is one of the first questions I answered at the beginning of the application. Maybe I should have typed in I haven't been yet, but I might be before I finish this application.

A couple of agree boxes and I'm done. I'm rewarded with a canned email,

"We appreciate your interest in our company. While we would like to contact each applicant directly, due to the number of responses that we receive, we are only able to contact the most qualified candidates based on the criteria for the position..."

After all that, I think they should be down on there hands in front of me begging me to take the job. I never had to go through so much BS to fill out a job application. Complete BS if you ask me. If it wasn't a tight job market, I'd call them and tell them where to shove there online application.

That sounds like a very unproductive 90 minutes. I would try to research other job search strategies instead of that 90 min application mess

Old 06-15-2013, 11:34 AM

2,845 posts, read 5,991,042 times
I have done job applications that take hours to fill. To where even though they ask you to attach your college transcripts, you STILL have to list out all courses taken in chem, bio, etc.

It got to the point I made a word file on my computer and it had a lot of my responses already there so I could just copy/paste!

Old 06-15-2013, 11:42 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,317,824 times
I don't know how it is now but back when I was in college a new Walmart was going to open in town and thought I should apply there for a summer job.......I laugh every time I think about Walmart.

They want me to remember everything I did since the beginning of time. I show up and the brain-washing begins with this "It's YOUR store" video crap before I even started my first interview. I was told that if I did well after the first interview, they wanted me to come back for two more interviews.....I was like....OMFG...I'm just trying to get a part-part time cashier job for the summer working minimum wage, I'm not applying to be CEO of Walmart. LFMAO.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,738,402 times
Sounds like one of the the whole we'll take your resume but then you still have to manually type in every part of the application anyway and are often limited in how many characters you can put in the descriptions of the job.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Sounds like one of the the whole we'll take your resume but then you still have to manually type in every part of the application anyway and are often limited in how many characters you can put in the descriptions of the job.
I remember those. Ten years ago I showed up to apply for a job in person with my resume and they handed me one of those applications to enter my resume into tiny boxes. I just entered my name at the top and signed the bottom and attached my resume. I told them I wasn't going to reenter everything by hand. Needless to say I didn't get the job, but I was gainfully employed at the time and didn't NEED the job, unlike now.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,738,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I remember those. Ten years ago I showed up to apply for a job in person with my resume and they handed me one of those applications to enter my resume into tiny boxes. I just entered my name at the top and signed the bottom and attached my resume. I told them I wasn't going to reenter everything by hand. Needless to say I didn't get the job, but I was gainfully employed at the time and didn't NEED the job, unlike now.
Somehow those redundant applications still exist. I guess the nobody told the emperor that he is still naked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search