U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 03:17 PM

27,454 posts, read 15,849,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Actually it is a communication tool. It has been said that those who do not write so others can read have no desire to communicate. My husband applied for a job that required a handwriting analysis. Your handwriting reveals your strengths and weaknesses in many different ways. It tells how ambitious you are, how honest you are and whether you are overly sensitive, your energy level, your attention to detail, etc.

Graphology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Graphoanalysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's the same as you got the answer wrong because you didn't fill in the bubble on a scantron or you marked another bubble and either erased it (but traces are left) or you screwed up transposing. It is fairly subjective to a point. Someone can say oh because your 0 looks too much like an O, you are not a good writer, you won't be a good employee. Hello, not everyone is an effective communicator, does that make them a bad worker, not at all. They just have different skills that you could work around. Or is that asking too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 03:25 PM

12 posts, read 16,865 times
No one is expected to have perfect handwriting but if you can't understand what is written then the application is likely discarded and the person will no longer be considered.

Following the various rules and regulations asked for on the employment application seems like common sense even if they have a great resume. If the application says don't refer to resume anyone who simply states SEE RESUME just shows themselves as a trouble maker and someone who does not follow directions.

You have to prove yourself in the industry and employer before you can ignore possibly silly rules.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:13 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,124,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Recruiter View Post
No one is expected to have perfect handwriting but if you can't understand what is written then the application is likely discarded and the person will no longer be considered.

Following the various rules and regulations asked for on the employment application seems like common sense even if they have a great resume. If the application says don't refer to resume anyone who simply states SEE RESUME just shows themselves as a trouble maker and someone who does not follow directions.

You have to prove yourself in the industry and employer before you can ignore possibly silly rules.
It's already been stated that applicants are downgraded based on handwriting, and those who can't write neatly to save their lives will be erroneously eliminated even if thy were the best person for the job. This application requires many paragraphs of handwriting to be done in a timed period while waiting for an interview. There is no reason to not allow someone to type this information in advance and bring it with them, that proves an ability to follow directions, and shows the company has joined us in 2013, and values actual job skills over silly HR hoops.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:40 PM

805 posts, read 1,013,855 times
Quote:

Someone who writes SEE RESUME also demonstrates that they don;t believe in wasting time doing needless and unnecesary tasks.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
Someone who writes SEE RESUME also demonstrates that they don;t believe in wasting time doing needless and unnecesary tasks.
Yeah except needless and unnecessary tasks are some what subjective. I see writing See Resume as a time saver to work on more important parts of the application like if there are personality questions and what not.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:26 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,738,193 times
there's also a big difference depending on whether the application SAYS not to write "see resume" for redundant information. if the instructions specify it, i'll write everything out (i will be annoyed, but i will do it if i feel like the job could be worth it). but if there's no indication of what to do, i'm doing the most efficient thing.

the OP hasn't given any indication that there are instructions on their application saying that writing "see resume" for job duties is not acceptable.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
there's also a big difference depending on whether the application SAYS not to write "see resume" for redundant information. if the instructions specify it, i'll write everything out (i will be annoyed, but i will do it if i feel like the job could be worth it). but if there's no indication of what to do, i'm doing the most efficient thing.

the OP hasn't given any indication that there are instructions on their application saying that writing "see resume" for job duties is not acceptable.
I am guessing it is one of those dreaded we won't say it's a requirement but is a requirement that comes up in job searches.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:39 AM

32,681 posts, read 16,707,945 times
Quote:

Man, this entire "understanding job requirements and reading resumes" is just such a drag, isn't it?

If you're going to come up with something purely to whittle down the numbers, why not be up front about it? Worked for the Chinese Imperial Civil Service - you'd never get a job there if you couldn't cite Confucius, do calligraphy and write original poetry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or