U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your companies policy regarding employment applications?
None required, the applicants resume is all that is needed 3 20.00%
Applicants fill out an employment application online 8 53.33%
Applicants are emailed an employment application and they give it to HR at their interview 4 26.67%
The Employment Application is completed after the employee starts work 0 0%
I just don't know 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 01:39 PM

111 posts, read 562,167 times

Advertisements

At the company I work for even though a person submits a resume they still have to fill out an Employment Application in the lobby of the building, which they give to the receptionist or HR Assistant. I am told this might be an usual situation and most employers will not require an Employment Application if they already have your resume.

So I am curious, where you work what is the policy regarding an employment application? Please complete my survey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 01:47 PM

606 posts, read 756,738 times
All applications to my company are done online. Once an interview is set up, all relevant information is forwarded to the hiring manager and the other people on the team that will be doing the interview. Each person doing the candidates interview will therefore be better prepared to meet with the candidate and ask the appropriate questions.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:51 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,712,016 times
you didn't include your company's policy in the poll - that's kind of weird!

anyway i work (in a professional office role) for a large hospital system and they have an online application. you can upload or paste a resume but you also have to go through and enter a lot of the same stuff into the application form. it does save it for future applications after you've done it once.

i've had approximately 1 bazilllion interviews and most of the jobs where i've had to fill out an application by hand (or in one case, i had to type it!!) were for the state or state-funded. or schools with grant conditions that were written in 1983. either the application was requested along with my resume, or it was e-mailed to me after a phone screening and before the in person interview.

i had one interview, at a vet office, where they had a paper application to fill out when i got there. it took about 10 minutes and did not include job duties/accomplishments, just a list of employers.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:52 PM

3,118 posts, read 4,290,944 times
Of course.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:53 PM

12,578 posts, read 15,050,467 times
It seems to depend on the company. The more developed (Fortune 500, etc) companies will usually require a completed application before or during the interview in addition to the resume. Start-ups, smaller firms and mid-tier companies usually just require a resume.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:54 PM

3,881 posts, read 7,305,657 times
A resume is all that was needed for the last 8 post-college jobs I've had.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:38 PM

499 posts, read 966,969 times
I'm sure this varies a lot from industry to industry -- being more specific would make the poll more useful ("professional" office jobs is very broad).

Old 06-17-2013, 04:16 PM

503 posts, read 1,033,221 times
If you consider a call center professional, we filled out an online application, did a phone interview, sent our résumé to the recruiter and to HR, filled out and faxed another application, and then gave resumes to our interviewer. All the same information.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:34 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,466,629 times
They include many things that I would not put on a resume.

Salary at previous jobs.
Available start date?
Referred by? (This is usually for giving referral bonuses to the other employee.)
How did you learn about your company?
Are you willing to work weekends?
What is your availability?
Have you worked for our company before?
Have you ever been convicted of a felony?
Are you 18 years or older?
What is your date of birth?
Emergency contact
Current address and previous addresses within the last 1-3 years
Are you seeking a part time or a full time position?
May we contact your current employer?
Are you a veteran?(They may have incentives to hire veterans)
Are you married or related to any current employee?(Some companies have policies about keeping people in different departments, if they are related or married.)

They usually have a legal disclaimer at the end, that you certify everything is true. They are allowed to reject or terminate employment, if the information provided is determined to be false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or