U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 05:24 PM

4,492 posts, read 4,318,558 times

Advertisements

I found my job on Linkedin, so I have nothing but good things to say. However, be ready to spend a lot of time connecting with people and researching who to connect with. Its a part time job at least as far as time commitment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 05:42 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I understand the part about just making sure my profile is up to date and lists all my accomplishments etc... and then let the recruiters come to me. But I am seeking employment 2,000 miles from home. I am guessing most the recruiters coming to me will be near me geographically. How can I reach out to the companies or get recruited 2,000 miles away using LinkedIn?
You can do an advanced search where you enter the parameters. For example, you can put in the zipcode of where you want to be geographically, the industry, and keywords. So let's say you are looking to move to FT. Lauderdale, FL and get hooked up with a restaurant job. You would type in 33351 (zip), restaurants as industry (you can also add hospitality and food service), and a key word such as "Management Recruiter." It will then search for the people who match your specific search parameters. You can also search in the job section to see who is posting for what, where and how to apply.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:49 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,412,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'm currently employed but searching for work in another part of the country. I am on LinkedIn but haven't used it much at all outside of setting up my profile. I am interested in utilizing LinkedIn to network with a few companies I am interested in another state.

I want to do this discreetly since I do not want my current job to know I'm job hunting out of state. I also want to do this in a way that is not too forward or weird (when I approach the new company).

I know there is a job seekers account you can pay for and you get so many networking emails you can send out with "guaranteed" replies. Does anyone know how this works or does anyone have any advice on how I can go about utilizing LinkedIn to meet some people at some prospective employers? I am not even sure how I would choose a specific person to attempt to network with or how I would start the conversation of "I'm in another state but I'd love to come work for your company".

I understand that LinkedIn isn't the greatest or best way to go about things but I'm using other avenues as well and I just want to see if I can leverage my LinkedIn presence at all to network and meet potential employers that I am interested in.

If you don't already know someone on Linkedin who knows someone else important then the site is not going to be that much of a help.

No point in going on there and sending out tons invitation to strangers

Old 06-19-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
If you don't already know someone on Linkedin who knows someone else important then the site is not going to be that much of a help.

No point in going on there and sending out tons invitation to strangers

Your loss!! You obviously have no idea how linkedin works, and how valuable it really is to network.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:05 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
Your loss!! You obviously have no idea how linkedin works, and how valuable it really is to network.

I don't want invitations from people I don't know

Old 06-19-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I don't want invitations from people I don't know
You don't have to accept invitations. You can start with present or past co-workers, school classmates, etc. If you are in a particular industry, and you want to network with all the higher ups, you can search for them, and send them an "invite" to connect with you. Some won't accept. But most will. Everyone has the choice to accept it or not. That is how your network starts to grow. Join some groups that pertain to your job interests, personal, business, networking, etc. Once you become active, you will start to see how your connections relate to one another.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I found my job on Linkedin, so I have nothing but good things to say. However, be ready to spend a lot of time connecting with people and researching who to connect with. Its a part time job at least as far as time commitment.
Truth! I spend A LOT of time on linkedin. But it has a huge positive return for me.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:50 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,264,477 times
There are certain things I don't understand about linkedin. I've gotten about a dozen "Connection Requests" from complete strangers in my town.

I'll accept, and ask something like, "Hi, Do I know you?" , and I never get a response.

I'll look at the profile, and the person has no connection to me, nor are they a recruiter. Typically it's an employee of a company I've never heard of, in a field I don't work in.

Do people just "Connect" for the sake of expanding the size of their network?

Last edited by le roi; 06-20-2013 at 07:03 AM..

Old 06-20-2013, 07:11 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,738,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
yes.

i decline requests from people who i don't see some kind of connection with. i get random requests on facebook sometimes too, same thing.

sometimes i get people who bought something from me on ebay years ago who are obviously just adding everyone in the gmail contacts.

i don't use linkedin that heavily but a few times i've gotten a clue about the status of a job application because someone from a company or organization i applied to looked at my profile. that in itself makes having an account worthwhile to me.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:29 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
There are certain things I don't understand about linkedin. I've gotten about a dozen "Connection Requests" from complete strangers in my town.

I'll accept, and ask something like, "Hi, Do I know you?" , and I never get a response.

I'll look at the profile, and the person has no connection to me, nor are they a recruiter. Typically it's an employee of a company I've never heard of, in a field I don't work in.

YES which never made sense to me. And the reason for that is because Linkedin is promoted so hyped up as this great NETWORKING site that people just go there to connect with anyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search