U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:32 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,345,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
yes.

i decline requests from people who i don't see some kind of connection with. i get random requests on facebook sometimes too, same thing.

sometimes i get people who bought something from me on ebay years ago who are obviously just adding everyone in the gmail contacts.

i don't use linkedin that heavily but a few times i've gotten a clue about the status of a job application because someone from a company or organization i applied to looked at my profile. that in itself makes having an account worthwhile to me.

Yup they are only doing it to increase their connections numbers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 10:27 AM

370 posts, read 621,080 times
Given that you can always disconnect from someone, I don't see why you wouldn't accept pretty much any request that comes in short of just not accepting co-workers in order to cloak your activity. (I know people who do that). Unless you plan on being employed in the same small company the rest of your career, you never know when the information will be helpful.

Some days people need help from you; some days, you need help from other people. That's the purpose about having an online professional rolodex. The person that has nothing to do with you today may be at or may be connected to somebody at a company you want to penetrate two years from now.

There's nothing "wrong" with people who want to keep their network intimate, but for those of us who want to make new professional contacts, there's way more potential upside than downside in being an active part of the ecosystem.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:08 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,345,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post
Given that you can always disconnect from someone, I don't see why you wouldn't accept pretty much any request that comes in short of just not accepting co-workers in order to cloak your activity. (I know people who do that). Unless you plan on being employed in the same small company the rest of your career, you never know when the information will be helpful.

Some days people need help from you; some days, you need help from other people. That's the purpose about having an online professional rolodex. The person that has nothing to do with you today may be at or may be connected to somebody at a company you want to penetrate two years from now.

There's nothing "wrong" with people who want to keep their network intimate, but for those of us who want to make new professional contacts, there's way more potential upside than downside in being an active part of the ecosystem.

Accept any request that comes your way?

Old 06-20-2013, 01:50 PM

370 posts, read 621,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Accept any request that comes your way?
Sure. You either have to be in my extended network or know my email address or be in a mutual group to find me. If you turn out to be a spammer, I can always unlink.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:12 PM

874 posts, read 1,078,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'm currently employed but searching for work in another part of the country. I am on LinkedIn but haven't used it much at all outside of setting up my profile. I am interested in utilizing LinkedIn to network with a few companies I am interested in another state.

I want to do this discreetly since I do not want my current job to know I'm job hunting out of state. I also want to do this in a way that is not too forward or weird (when I approach the new company).

I know there is a job seekers account you can pay for and you get so many networking emails you can send out with "guaranteed" replies. Does anyone know how this works or does anyone have any advice on how I can go about utilizing LinkedIn to meet some people at some prospective employers? I am not even sure how I would choose a specific person to attempt to network with or how I would start the conversation of "I'm in another state but I'd love to come work for your company".

I understand that LinkedIn isn't the greatest or best way to go about things but I'm using other avenues as well and I just want to see if I can leverage my LinkedIn presence at all to network and meet potential employers that I am interested in.

Set up as detailed a profile as possible. On LI, you have the option to call out different details and embellish positions more than on a bulleted resume.

Don't waste your money on the Job-Seeker account. The only thing it would help with is the one thing you want to avoid: letting your current employer know you're on the prowl.

Two ways to reach out: 1. people in the position or a relevant role to the one you want -- message them expressing interest in securing such a position and learning more about their experience. 2. people in HR at the company you're applying to. Again, express interest in the role and a desire to set up some phone time with them (where you will get the opportunity to pitch yourself OR it'll automatically be your first interview).

You may think it's not the greatest, but it can be your best friend. Set up job search alerts - 1 or 20 - and check them frequently or have the new postings mailed to you daily/weekly. LI job listings are at least a notch or two above Monster, Careerbuilder, etc.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search