Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have You Ever Received a 'Rejection Letter' After an Interview?
Yes 26 86.67%
No 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 12:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
^^^ Yes!

Its common to just get a rejection letter but sometimes you are lucky to even get that. Sometimes you never hear back ever in life.

And I've gotten one rejection phone call and that was really uncomfortable. You get your hopes up, cause they are calling and then to be don't nope, not you, awkward! An email would suffice.
Exactly, I had that happen years ago. The employer left a VM on my home phone to call them back for a job in another state that I interviewed for.

I thought for sure it was an offer, it wasn't...LOL. And the kicker was I paid for the long distance call to be told I didn't get the job.

An email or just saying on the VM that you didn't get the job would have been a better solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 08:57 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Your name suits you.

There are threads on this forum by posters who have gone on 3 interviews for the same position and than don't even hear back.

One on here right now by someone who traveled long distance for an interview and had to contact the HR woman to be told "no you didn't get the job". Had they not followed up they weren't going to be told they didn't get the job.

How would you have liked to have to get on a plane to get to a job interview and than never hear back?

Be thankful you are at least getting a status.

That situation wouldn't apply to me- I'm not looking to move somewhere faraway. If I can't get to the interview in a relatively short manner via car then I wouldn't apply (which is why I'm looking to stay local).

I am thankful to go on interviews and be notified; however it just seems like an easy, impersonal way out. Perhaps whats bugging me is that I know a lot of the people who are interviewing me. I feel comfortable talking on the phone to them, so a rejection letter just seems odd considering our relationship.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:58 PM

Maybe it depends what field or position you're applying for?

Old 06-19-2013, 11:32 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Really it's 2013 not 1950 you get rejection e-mails not letters. I know TV and Sports is going to chime in and say he got a letter

Old 06-19-2013, 11:34 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
Hello there.

I recently have been applying for jobs in the teaching field and unfortunately have been turned down for several job offers. From my experience, I thought that employers called you to tell you the results; however today I got a 'Rejection Letter' and I'm somewhat surprised at how tacky it is.

Is it just me?

IMO, I'm trying for a professional, full-time, long-term position and the best a company can do is leave me hanging for over a week and then send me a letter? Is this that common? I know I'm upset because I didn't get the job, but it just seems rather lazy and tacky.

Has this happened to you? Is this common?

Why would you want a phone call to let you know you didn't get the job???

Old 06-19-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Why would you want a phone call to let you know you didn't get the job???

Based on the interview, I kind of know what kind of call I'm going to get beforehand, so there's no shock.
Getting a call is much faster then waiting to get the letter in mail. I would rather have the rejection over quickly then wait a week for the mail.

From what I've experienced... no call, email, or letter in the first 1-2 days after the interview means I didn't get the job.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:53 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
That situation wouldn't apply to me- I'm not looking to move somewhere faraway. If I can't get to the interview in a relatively short manner via car then I wouldn't apply (which is why I'm looking to stay local).

I am thankful to go on interviews and be notified; however it just seems like an easy, impersonal way out. Perhaps whats bugging me is that I know a lot of the people who are interviewing me. I feel comfortable talking on the phone to them, so a rejection letter just seems odd considering our relationship.

It's an interview, not a dinner date.

It is impersonal. How do you know these people? Are you personal friends?

My friend's daughter had a heck of a time getting a teaching job after graduating two years ago, including interviewing where she did her student teaching. The principal even commented to her after the interview how much they thought of her. Guess what? She had to follow up with them only to be told they went with someone else.

She finally landed two part time teaching jobs with two different districts.

Unless these people are your personal friends you're expecting too much from them. I know with my friend's daughter they were conducting up to 30 interviews per position, that would be a lot of people to contact by phone to tell them they didn't get a job.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It's an interview, not a dinner date.

It is impersonal. How do you know these people? Are you personal friends?

Some of them, yes. Some of them are parents of friends.
The way they hire is personal. I've seen many relatives and friends get hired, so not calling back seemed kind of odd... especially running into them numerous times after the interview. Small town.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:44 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times
I would rather get some closure about not getting a job than absolutely nothing. That is how I see it. Usually an email or letter is the usual way for them to notify you. Getting a phone call of rejection can happen but not often. Most commonly, in my experience anyway, you don't hear anything from the employer that you were not selected.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:22 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Based on the interview, I kind of know what kind of call I'm going to get beforehand, so there's no shock.
Getting a call is much faster then waiting to get the letter in mail. I would rather have the rejection over quickly then wait a week for the mail.

From what I've experienced... no call, email, or letter in the first 1-2 days after the interview means I didn't get the job.

Well phone calls usually mean a verbal job offer so I definitely don't want to be called to hear someone was selected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search