Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 06:56 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,297 times

Advertisements

I was offered a promotion in another city with a different organization. I accepted yesterday and gave notice today.

My current work environment is beyond terrible. Six months ago I asked to transfer to another department in the same org but they refused saying that the work I do currently is "essential." I applied for a job in the other department, got it, and our leadership told the manager to pick someone else.

Today, I was told that I would now be allowed to move to the job in the other department. This is a lateral move. The position I accepted has a 16K pay raise but is in a higher cost of living city, so it probably evens out. I love the city I am in now, but even if I move to the other department, there won't be many opportunities for advancement.

I still feel I should go. I don't trust the leadership to keep any promises. But now I have some doubts.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 07:05 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Leave. Never accept a counteroffer.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:08 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
i'd say very very very rarely take a counteroffer, but yeah. you don't trust the leadership and you hate your job. money's not going to make that better. and there are a lot of other reasons to not take a counteroffer. go.

congrats on the offer as well!

Old 06-18-2013, 07:15 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
A counteroffer is not worth it. Their hand was forced to get that offer. When you outgrow that position in a year or two, you will be denied a promotion/transfer again.

If you have not been exposed to different companies, it's a good idea to see what other managers and companies are like. You take the best knowledge and experience from each company to the next company. It's how you develop.

I made a lateral move for $25k more, last year, after a layoff. My new boss is awesome and appreciates everything I do. I get some freedom to come in when I want and what projects I work on.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:28 PM

Under what conditions should someone take a counteroffer?

To clarify-- the out of town job I accepted has a 16k raise. The position at my current organization in a different department is the exact same pay I have now.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:31 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Under what conditions should someone take a counteroffer?

To clarify-- the out of town job I accepted has a 16k raise. The position at my current organization in a different department is the exact same pay I have now.
I wouldn't. Ever. If you wanted to leave, and that's the only time they stepped in and offered you more - what's it going to take next time?

Employers either step up and pay to the level of talent they have/want/need or risk losing them. That's the game.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:33 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
It doesn't make any sense to accept a counteroffer when you are so unhappy with the company. Now, if you are leaving because another job will pay more, but you do like your current job and just need to make more money, then it makes sense. But, it is clear that you don't like your current job, and I hope that you will like this new job more. If anything, it does give you security to get an offer like that, because say that things don't work out with the new job. It is likely that your old job would take you back. They evidently think of you highly enough to even offer you something like that. So, even though you don't like them, it is clear they like you.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:36 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Never ever accept a counter offer.

Run away as fast as you can.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
I wouldn't. Ever. If you wanted to leave, and that's the only time they stepped in and offered you more - what's it going to take next time?

Employers either step up and pay to the level of talent they have/want/need or risk losing them. That's the game.
Well said. I agree. If you have good employees that you abuse and only react when they have one foot out the door, you don't deserve to have those employees.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:49 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
the only reason i'd take one is if the ONLY reason i was leaving was money. and if i was reasonably sure that my trying to leave wouldn't affect me negatively if i ended up staying.

it's very rare for both of those conditions to be met. in your case, probably neither one is. and if they are, odds are that your employer is reasonable enough that they'd just give you a raise if you asked for one, or let you transfer if you asked. i can invent some super specific scenarios where taking a counter might make sense (say, your awesome boss has someone above them who was preventing a raise and then relented when you gave notice, or if for some weird reason you didn't ask for a raise in the first place), but, like i said, odds are those situations are never going to happen. and they definitely don't apply to you.

Last edited by groar; 06-18-2013 at 07:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search