U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 02:11 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The issue is there are some job coaches who say that you need to have a specific job targeted. The issue is not every job people are looking for exists.

As for how many jobs I apply to weekly. I try to apply to at least one each day of the work week because only a few jobs are posted on Saturdays and Sundays.

And the one job I had in mind each day was Job Coach/Job readiness Trainer which was only posted 5 times between January 2012 and December 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 02:17 PM

10,077 posts, read 14,025,351 times
Most often 5, now more like 10 a week.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:24 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,411,228 times
This was several years ago when I was unemployed:

~160 applications total in a little over a year, lots of callbacks/phone screens, ~15 f2f interviews, 3 offers.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:32 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,571,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Well don't talk like it can't happen
hah, I do know it sure can happen. For the past several years, NIH funding has been dwindling and I've come close to being laid off many times due to grants running out.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:40 PM

303 posts, read 510,603 times
Year before last I was unemployed for about a month. Lost my job due to a bad situation, so I spent the first week kind of licking my wounds. Hopped on the ball, started applying to anywhere from 2 - 5 jobs a day. I was able to cast a wide net because I've got a car and live in a Metro-accessible area.

Of those, I was getting maybe one or two phone interviews at a time. Of THOSE, most of them had lengthy hiring practices (standard in the DC area).

Anyway, was offered a temp job that was full-time and took that but was getting and attending interviews in the meanwhile. By early December, I had 6 job offers on the table. I liked my temp job, but it was temp and the company has Christmas Vacation, which meant I would have been unemployed for 10 days straight.

Accepted one of the several jobs, put in my 2-week notice, the company I was temping for then cast their hat into the ring and offered me Staff. I accepted, and 2 years later here I am.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:45 PM

12,030 posts, read 16,771,078 times
Once I got started and had a bunch of tailored resumes and cover letters, I was applying to 15-20 jobs a day. Each application would be tailored to the ad - if you have 15 "templates" to go by, you can limit how much you have to tweak! At the time, I had just graduated from college, was looking to get my foot in the door in a few industries (higher ed, nonprofits, government), and was open for worldwide assignment.

Now I work at least 9-5, have a 2 hour round trip commute, and manage to apply to at least 10 jobs a week. I have developed a specialization so there are less appropriate jobs to apply to plus I'm working, taking classes to continue to update my skills, and am much more limited in where I'm looking for work (mostly because I can't imagine a company being too interested in putting up with a relocation of someone still fairly early in her career!).

Old 06-19-2013, 02:53 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Once I got started and had a bunch of tailored resumes and cover letters, I was applying to 15-20 jobs a day. Each application would be tailored to the ad - if you have 15 "templates" to go by, you can limit how much you have to tweak! At the time, I had just graduated from college, was looking to get my foot in the door in a few industries (higher ed, nonprofits, government), and was open for worldwide assignment.

Now I work at least 9-5, have a 2 hour round trip commute, and manage to apply to at least 10 jobs a week. I have developed a specialization so there are less appropriate jobs to apply to plus I'm working, taking classes to continue to update my skills, and am much more limited in where I'm looking for work (mostly because I can't imagine a company being too interested in putting up with a relocation of someone still fairly early in her career!).

10 jobs a week sounds more realistic than 15 a day

Old 06-19-2013, 02:56 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,443,422 times
I did 2-4 a day usually. Some for jobs I didn't really qualify for but really wanted. At the end though, I stopped doing that and applied for jobs I know I could get and did. I really wanted to do a career change but it didn't happen and I couldn't wait any longer.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:52 PM

42 posts, read 71,089 times
Honestly, I have not been applying as much as I should. I often put out 5-10 applications a week. But I am having problems finding jobs for which I would be a good match for the following reasons:

1) I am trying to find an entry-level corporate position related to accounting. Since I am not in college anymore and not wanting to do the public accounting or auditing route (after having a bad experience auditing in the government and realizing audit is not for me, and hating tax), there are some times that I find that I do not have enough experience to apply for most of the jobs I see.

I wonder if when an employer say 1-2 years of related experience, the employers actually mean less than that. I would love to get jobs like these, but I am not having much luck in my application process when the posting requires that much experience.

I have had luck in accounting/finance postings that actually say that they don't require experience at all.

That stated, I am having a good turnaround rate from my job search (getting lots of interviews from the applications that I do put out), and perhaps my rate is so good because I am doing a targeted search.

2) I am stuck looking for jobs in one metropolitan area because my boyfriend has a job there. DC does have a lot of jobs, but I wish I could have access to all of Virginia and Maryland to find a job. My grad school has connections with many firms in one region of Virginia, but I can't move there.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:03 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,184,015 times
I've only been out of work for a couple of months total in my life, but probably 2-3 a day on average. When I lost my job (twice) I went and got temp gigs pretty quickly as I didn't want gaps on the resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or