U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 05:05 PM

1,765 posts, read 1,953,086 times

Advertisements

While Unemployed, How Many Jobs Did You Apply for Every Week?

As few as possible! Good lord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 07:20 PM

12,313 posts, read 15,228,409 times
Probably applied to 20 postings, but hard to say how many jobs that works out to, since many jobs are posted about that many times. If the description was the exact copy of another one, I skipped it. I saw one posted repeated times with the same typo.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:17 AM

8,024 posts, read 10,905,960 times
Much of this will depend on your skillset and what type of job you are looking for. If it is clerical, there are bound to be way more jobs than if it is for a structural engineer.

When I was unemployed at the height (or depth if you want) of the downturn in 2009, I spent at 4 solid hours a day and often more trolling the web and networking with people I knew and applying for jobs. (I also had some occasional contract work for a couple of companies I did) Even then some days, I had nothing I could apply for. Some days I had 5.

And then, IMO, there are categories of jobs. Some are longshot, because you weren't really quite qualified, some "perfect fit" jobs and some fill-in only jobs that were below what you really needed and you were overqualified for. Of course, for unemployment here, you had to apply for 2 jobs a week and had to be on two different days. So, I would make sure that I applied for any perfect fit jobs as soon as I found them and devoted lots of time to ensuring the resume was tuned like I wanted it and had a good cover letter and save the fill in stuff to make sure I had my days covered with unemployment with a stock resume and cover or no cover if I truly did not care.

But there is no cookie cutter formula that fits everyone and every type of job. You have to tailor to your situation. But, usually, applying to more jobs is not going to hurt your chances.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:46 AM

24 posts, read 64,702 times
I want to apply to more but there aren't that many job openings in the field that I got laid off from. I've been looking into other fields but they probably don't even look at my resume.

I'm averaging about 5 apps per week.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:21 AM

22 posts, read 25,274 times
I think I applied to about 50-100 jobs per week.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:14 PM

841 posts, read 1,085,240 times
When I was last unemployed, it was for about four months, and I only applied for six jobs in that entire period. So that's about one job per two weeks. But I'm a high level, highly specialized professional, so I was looking for a very specific kind of job, which there aren't many. It paid off, because I did find a job that matched my specialized skills, and paid me appropriately.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:05 PM

874 posts, read 1,080,172 times
I did a lot of quick applications (mostly 1-2 clicks worth) through LinkedIn and the like (100-200/wk) along with some very targeted applications with tailored cover letters and I reached out to contacts at, or with a connection to, each company (~15-25/wk).

Old 11-05-2013, 07:17 PM

3,966 posts, read 9,426,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
When you were unemployed, how many jobs--on average--did you apply for each week? (ie--50, 100, 200, etc). A rough estimate is fine.

Also, roughly after how applications did it take before getting interviews/offers? In other words, what would you estimate was your application: interview and applicationffer ratios?
how about unemployed? 10 a day would be my max. This did not include the applications I sent into the box stores. I applied to so many jobs a week, I would run into ones I've already applied for.

Box stores have a funny system. Dump your application into an e-barrel, then be chosen on a lottery basis. I wanted to work at Wal-Mart because I knew I could move up, even if it meant moving to AK when that happened. But I spoke with several shift managers and all of them answered the same "Apply, call HR, and wait." Well I wasn't going to wait, so I called everyday for a couple weeks. After the HR manager of a store knew me by name, she told me to stop calling and that I will need to wait like everyone else. I am unemployed, I don't want to be on UE anymore, that **** is a nightmare.

After 6 months, they called me in for an interview and then 2 weeks later received a call asking if they wanted me to work bakery. Even after that, I had to wait some more. What a broke ass system.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:15 AM

2,108 posts, read 1,866,932 times
I did about 10 a day. Used LinkedIn most of the time. In the meantime I did things to keep active.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:04 AM

27,418 posts, read 15,833,777 times
I think if you try and do jobs you are a fit for it can be lower but if you just do resume and application blasts (IMO a bad call) it is considerably higher. I average 5 a week or so by trying to focus my search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or