U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 11:00 AM

280 posts, read 582,605 times

Advertisements

When you were unemployed, how many jobs--on average--did you apply for each week? (ie--50, 100, 200, etc). A rough estimate is fine.

Also, roughly after how applications did it take before getting interviews/offers? In other words, what would you estimate was your application: interview and applicationffer ratios?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 11:36 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,570,268 times
I haven't been unemployed, but when my last employer let me know I would be getting laid off soon, I applied to about several - dozen jobs daily (there would also be days when I sent zero apps out). I received a few dozen interview requests, got 3 job offers and settled on a new position within 3-4months

Old 06-19-2013, 11:43 AM

503 posts, read 1,032,946 times
Here are my current statistics:
205 Applications over 68 Days (Approx 21 per Week)
2 Interviews, 1 Job Offer (Turned down, too expensive to relocate.)

The key for me is just getting in for an interview. As long as I can talk to somebody I can usually sell myself pretty well. I got rejected from the other interview because the retail store was upscale and wanted models, not salesmen.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:44 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
When you were unemployed, how many jobs--on average--did you apply for each week? (ie--50, 100, 200, etc). A rough estimate is fine.

Also, roughly after how applications did it take before getting interviews/offers? In other words, what would you estimate was your application: interview and applicationffer ratios?

1 or 2 but my goal was 5. It was not that often I saw 5 jobs to apply to each week

Old 06-19-2013, 11:57 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nifear View Post
I haven't been unemployed, but when my last employer let me know I would be getting laid off soon, I applied to about several - dozen jobs daily (there would also be days when I sent zero apps out). I received a few dozen interview requests, got 3 job offers and settled on a new position within 3-4months

Well don't talk like it can't happen

Old 06-19-2013, 12:01 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,708,350 times
is that because you were only looking in the pennysaver for jobs, wpd?

i'm employed and looking, and i only started keeping good track in the last couple of months, but i'd say i apply to on average 7-10 jobs a week. if i've been consistent with that, and i think i have, i've applied to about 225 jobs, give or take, in the last 7 months. i've had interviews (including phone interviews and interviews i canceled) at 30 places. 1 job offer that i didn't take.

my first interview came from my very first job application and i figured i was set! ha!

Old 06-19-2013, 12:18 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
is that because you were only looking in the pennysaver for jobs, wpd?

i'm employed and looking, and i only started keeping good track in the last couple of months, but i'd say i apply to on average 7-10 jobs a week. if i've been consistent with that, and i think i have, i've applied to about 225 jobs, give or take, in the last 7 months. i've had interviews (including phone interviews and interviews i canceled) at 30 places. 1 job offer that i didn't take.

my first interview came from my very first job application and i figured i was set! ha!

It's because I was more concerned with me being a good fit instead of just accepting anything and not liking the job 3 months later and then stuck like chuck

Old 06-19-2013, 12:44 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,708,350 times
i was just teasing. but i do try to be open-minded about jobs because you can't always tell what is and isn't a good fit just from the ad. i had an interview in an industry i didn't have much interest in, for a job that sounded just ok, and it turned out to be one of the most interesting opportunities i've ever interviewed for. i'm picky when i apply to jobs, increasingly so, but i still try to keep my options open.

it doesn't hurt to apply and you can always turn down an interview if you want to.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:04 PM
FBJ

Quote:
i was just teasing. but i do try to be open-minded about jobs because you can't always tell what is and isn't a good fit just from the ad. i had an interview in an industry i didn't have much interest in, for a job that sounded just ok, and it turned out to be one of the most interesting opportunities i've ever interviewed for. i'm picky when i apply to jobs, increasingly so, but i still try to keep my options open.

it doesn't hurt to apply and you can always turn down an interview if you want to.

Actually for the whole year i just applied for jobs in my field. It wasn't until late 2012 that I started to apply to other jobs

Old 06-19-2013, 01:54 PM

27,283 posts, read 15,762,848 times
Quote:

The issue is there are some job coaches who say that you need to have a specific job targeted. The issue is not every job people are looking for exists.

As for how many jobs I apply to weekly. I try to apply to at least one each day of the work week because only a few jobs are posted on Saturdays and Sundays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or