U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 02:21 PM

2,363 posts, read 1,190,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I know, but he's going to need an actual driver's license in order to get to a job, whether at home or in a new place.
If he has a transportation to the job (bus, train etc) and the job does not require driving, why would he need a DL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 02:23 PM

249 posts, read 355,899 times
Tracy, there is a long list of documents that can be used to fill in the Form I-9.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-9_(form)

When Kris turns 18, he can register to vote, and he presumably has a social security number and birth certificate, along with school records, so even if the doesn't have a passport (which, if he had it, would be the only thing he needed), he can still work without ever setting foot in a DMV.

If a driver's license were required, nobody with eyesight under 20/40 (or whatever it is in your state), or with any medical condition that prevents driving, would be employable.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:39 PM

9,228 posts, read 18,922,742 times
I know, and I did mention that the I-9 has a long list of documents that can be required. It actually has 3 columns, and you can have one from column A OR one form column B AND one from column C. Also, he has to start working NOW, not when he turns 18, so a voter reg card won't be much help.

But apart from that, I was just acknowledging how hard it is for anyone to be employed and not drive. If you live in a place with lots of public transportation, that's fine. But where I live (PA), and I'm sure in the Dakotas, there probably aren't a lot of busses, trains, subways, and light rail. Not sure about where the OP lives, in FL, but even if there is public transport, getting to work can be a problem.

I've known people who take buses/trains to work, and sometimes they're late because public transportation ran late. Having workers who take buses and trains (at least outside of a major metropolitan area) is a PITA, and you're always dealing with latenesses, and excuses, never knowing if the excuses are valid or not. Then you have people showing up looking all disheveled from having to wait out in the rain or snow for a bus. You also have to deal with having an employee that you can't just call in for extra coverage without much notice, because he has to take 2 trains and a bus, which could take over an hour. A lot of employers unofficially "discriminate" against people who don't drive (and I say rightly so, in many cases).
So I always advise people to GET THEIR LICENSE, or they will be seriously crippled in the job market (unless they're in some major metropolitan area as noted above).

Old 06-21-2013, 02:44 PM

11 posts, read 23,280 times
I do have a FL State ID card. I will be trying to convince them to let me take the road test and just get the license, saying I won't get a car or anything. That may be a possibility if I can kiss enough butt for it.

Quote:
I know, but he's going to need an actual driver's license in order to get to a job, whether at home or in a new place.
I'm a female. Just putting that out there in case I missed it in my original post.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:46 PM

Oops, sorry. Wow, you've done some very "manly" jobs! (that's a compliment).

Old 06-21-2013, 02:53 PM

15,149 posts, read 19,741,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisCros View Post
I'm a female. Just putting that out there in case I missed it in my original post.

Oops. Ignore the advice to find work in the oilfields then. I'm all for women's lib but the oilfield is not a safe place for women, even if they'd hire you (which they wont).

Old 06-21-2013, 03:04 PM

She's done some pretty physically demanding jobs, and it seems she's not afraid of dirty, hard work. So you never know, she could do great in the oil fields.
I actually heard that in one of the Dakotas, the jobs are plentiful, not just working in the oil fields, but all the industries that grow up around that industry. So likely lots of work for men and women.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:06 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,960,082 times
Find a cheap place to live: Mississippi, North Dakota, etc.
Find a part time job
Rent a cheap room
Enroll in community college
Transfer to a state university and earn a practical degree (engineering, nursing, etc)

It can be done; people do it all the time.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:13 PM

15,149 posts, read 19,741,426 times
Quote:
She's done some pretty physically demanding jobs, and it seems she's not afraid of dirty, hard work. So you never know, she could do great in the oil fields.
I actually heard that in one of the Dakotas, the jobs are plentiful, not just working in the oil fields, but all the industries that grow up around that industry. So likely lots of work for men and women.

Yes, there are oilfield-related jobs for women, especially in the service industry. But she can wait tables or prepare fast-food closer to home. There will also be clerical jobs but (forgive me if I'm mistaken) she doesnt seem inclined to do that kind of work.

The macho attitude in the oilfield, though, does not make it friendly to women who are competing for the same jobs as men.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:19 PM

11 posts, read 23,280 times
The kind of work I'm looking for is either oilfields, or farm/ranch hand.

I have to have something that has some sort of physical demand to it. Pretty much every "woman" suited job isn't fitting in that aspect. I don't see an issue with a female working in a assumed male occupation, as long as I'm just as fit and willing as a male is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search