U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 03:23 PM

9,228 posts, read 18,925,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisCros View Post
The kind of work I'm looking for is either oilfields, or farm/ranch hand.

I have to have something that has some sort of physical demand to it. Pretty much every "woman" suited job isn't fitting in that aspect. I don't see an issue with a female working in a assumed male occupation, as long as I'm just as fit and willing as a male is.
Good for you! Also, make sure you develop a thick skin and don't get easily offended. In an all-male field, you'll encounter some "testing" or hazing, but you can tough it out. Don't be the kind of employee to go running to HR because somebody says something sexist. Just know that you'll be expected to prove yourself by working harder than the guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 03:25 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,968,211 times
Quote:
The kind of work I'm looking for is either oilfields, or farm/ranch hand.

Sounds like really hard work with a large supply in the labor pool (it's basically unskilled labor right?) which probably means low wages. Don't expect to earn too much money and don't expect the work experience to be that valuable.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:30 PM

2,612 posts, read 4,765,944 times
Quote:
My brother has a disability, he has a colostomy bag, which means he gets 25,000 a year for college, and his 700 a months in SSI, he pays 250 rent here, so he's set.

I really don't even know how to get started to apply for loans and grants, and college was never really something on my radar. It's one of those things that screams misery and not-for-me.
You have awfully good writing skills for someone who thinks college is not for them. I'd think again if I were you. Also, community colleges have a lot of less academic programs you might like - mine has things like landscaping, fire science and auto mechanics.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:43 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,191,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
You have awfully good writing skills for someone who thinks college is not for them. I'd think again if I were you. Also, community colleges have a lot of less academic programs you might like - mine has things like landscaping, fire science and auto mechanics.
I agree. It seems that this young lady has also some kind of maturity that you don't always find in american youth.
KrisCros, please think again about college.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:25 PM

11 posts, read 23,282 times
College just isn't for me. The simple ways of living life make me happy, and the 'hustle-bustle' and have to get a degree to be "successful" and the "misery before happiness" associated with todays world, it just isn't for me...

I need a job thats enjoyable by my simplicity standard, that pays enough for the basics to make me happy.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:12 PM

27,284 posts, read 15,762,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I agree. It seems that this young lady has also some kind of maturity that you don't always find in american youth.
KrisCros, please think again about college.
I would look at Marie's idea of community college for a trades skill. Too many people in this economy are struggling to find work or get a job with their bachelor's degree. I am one of those in that boat. Without a degree, you will not make a whole lot anymore. Unless you are extraordinary, you will be eaten alive with a degree because even those with degrees are struggling as well.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:19 PM

16,017 posts, read 19,666,166 times
Military is actually a very good suggestion. You'll get training, you'll get experience and you'll be safer than on the streets. You expressed interest in oil, so I was gonna send some links. But, actually, military is much better alternative for someone your young age.
If you are interested in oil, look in the N.D. forums...Williston N.D. is the hub. There are many negatives, lack of housing especially...and the cost of rent and living is outrageously expensive. I strongly suggest Navy or Airforce. Get your training and your benefits. Good luck in your life.

Last edited by JanND; 06-21-2013 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: added text

Old 06-21-2013, 05:20 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,430,608 times
Quote:
I've already attempted to make such an arrangement with them. They have declined my offer due to the fact I haven't found a job yet, and they don't believe I will in our area (there is nothing within biking distance here that I haven't applied to, I either don't meet age requirement, or they don't want to hire me. Lack of references is killing me in this.).

My brother is supposed to be leaving for community college in August(?)ish, that is the only reason they even tolerate him, if he isn't gone, I am sure they will treat him the same. The problem is I have 0 plans on what to do now that I've graduated, and they aren't okay with that. My mom has said that it will be better to boot me on my own and make me figure it out, instead of what they did with my brother by letting him come back and over-stay his welcome.
You might want to look into Job Corps. You will get room and board, plus the ability to learn a trade which would help with employment. You can Google Job Corps and find the nearest center in your area.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:44 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,747,775 times
What exactly is it that keeps you from the military, yet you can do a demanding physical job?

Old 06-21-2013, 05:57 PM

11 posts, read 23,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
What exactly is it that keeps you from the military, yet you can do a demanding physical job?
I'm not within the weight standards. Even when taped for body fat, I'm over. I've tried to lose the fat layer causing it, but correct diet is not possible. I've tried everything within my means, and exercise daily and rigorously. Stupid fat layer is very determined to stay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search