U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 06:37 AM

8,794 posts, read 13,281,490 times

Advertisements

References are easily faked. TV pitchmen do it all the time they pay people $70 off the street to say that this POS product is great and changed their life. Contractors often do this as well. Find someone or pay someone who will say nice things about you.

My opinion is references are a rather useless part of the hiring process. Most places aren't allowed to say much for fear of lawsuits, anyone can find someone to say nice things about them and in cases where someone gives a bad reference it is more often about the person giving the reference (sociopath) than the person the reference is about.

In todays job market you are expected to market yourself so you have to act like a salesmen/marketer lying, hyperbole, cheating etc are part of the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 06:47 AM

1,464 posts, read 2,752,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisCros View Post
So, if the title is lacking description, here is my issue:

-I turn 18 in 5 months. My parents have given me one option, at 18 I must vacate their house, and they couldn't care less what happens after that.
-I have worked of-the-book jobs in the summer, ranging from landscaping to remodeling houses to cutting down trees to replacing sidewalk sections.
-I don't have a license. I've had a permit since 15, and am more than capable driving, but my parents refuse to take me to get road tested and licensed.
-I'm an introvert. I can mingle and fit in well, but I have 0 references to use on a resume or job application. Which really, really hurts my odds at getting a job.

I have my high school diploma, and I'm thinking my best option is to head north (Currently in Florida, I don't like the weather here, at all) and take advantage of the oil industry there. I've been told Montana is a good start. My best option at the moment is likely to travel by bus, I can condense all of my belongings into two suitcases and a carry on, as well as I'm able to scrounge enough to pay for a ticket.

The issue lies in, how do I find employment, and somewhere to live/rooming, for somewhere outside of where I am now. Also, being 17, that is going to likely pose a challenge where most places require you to be 18 for employment?

If anyone can offer any advice, or has further questions, any and everything is greatly appreciated.
Personally, I do think that your parents are asking you to leave their home a bit early; they could have their reasons but I don't believe in tossing a kid to the wind so to speak until the are financially ready..meaning a job at least and a place to live.
Have you ever considered enlisting in the armed forces..perhaps not the Army or Marines but maybe the Coast Guard, Navy or Air Force?? The Coast Guard offers education, work, and more. I had a brother in law who belonged to the Coast Guard and he did extremely well.
Before you rush off and grab that bus to Montana, why don't you talk to a recruiter? At least with the armed forces you will have a place to live, some discipline, a steady pay coming in and an education.
In the meantime, sit your parents down and explain to them that you might be thinking of the service and to be patient with you while your plans come together.
If you decide to follow through with a job and a place to stay in Montana, then go online and see what kind of work is available. Don't get on that bus with no direction in mind..have at least that much..a job.
Good Luck to you and I am in your corner...often times we are forced to make moves that are difficult and ones we are not quite ready for. I was married at age 19, had a baby when I was 20 and moved to Northern Maine where I knew NO ONE. I missed my family back here in CT big time and had to work at adjusting to my new life. I was simply too young to be doing all that and to then have a child.
I will be thinking of you and hoping for only the best...by the way...I am 65, old enough to be your Grandma and have a son who is 44..we both survived and you will too.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:57 AM

7,238 posts, read 10,891,939 times
With all due respect OP, your parents are *******s.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:42 AM

2,608 posts, read 3,844,004 times
I live right in the center of oil activity in North Dakota. I've read through the responses and I see you didn't respond to JanND. She is right. I wouldn't come to work the oilfields here without a drivers license and at least $2,000 saved up (if not more). Housing is difficult right now and when you find a place to live it's expensive. (Renting a room costs around $1,000 a month.) Despite what some other posters say, women CAN work in the fields up here. It's not common, but if you have the skills you can do it. There is also a lot of construction work here. Due to the fact that you're introverted I would say avoid the service industry, even though if you are personable and friendly (or can even pretend that you are) you could actually make quite a bit of money as a waitress.

Honestly, I see the two biggest obstacles for you getting employment in the oilfields as having no drivers license and your age. Many of the high paying positions require you to be 21 for numerous reasons (insurance, you have to have your CDL, etc). You'd find work up here no matter what, but it's expensive and it's busy. If you come with no drivers license and no money you put yourself in a position that has the potential to be dangerous up here.

Also, growing up in Florida makes me hesitant to recommend coming here to get your foot in the door. Have you considered Texas? They are also booming as far as oil goes, it's cheaper, and the weather is more comparable to where you are from. Temperatures in the oilfields in ND in the winter can be -30 with a -50 or -60 windchill. You walk outside and it feels like your chest freezes up when you try to breath. A lot of people think they can handle it, but come each winter we see a mass exodus of people realizing they can't. Look into Texas, they'll have similar type work available but the cost of living will be cheaper, it is closer to Florida, and you won't have to deal with some of the issues we're dealing with up here.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:24 PM

7,959 posts, read 9,702,165 times
Quote:
-I turn 18 in 5 months. My parents have given me one option, at 18 I must vacate their house,
Before you were given this ultimatum, what did you plan on doing with your life?

Old 07-03-2013, 05:51 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,465,525 times
Quote:
So, if the title is lacking description, here is my issue:

-I turn 18 in 5 months. My parents have given me one option, at 18 I must vacate their house, and they couldn't care less what happens after that.
-I have worked of-the-book jobs in the summer, ranging from landscaping to remodeling houses to cutting down trees to replacing sidewalk sections.
-I don't have a license. I've had a permit since 15, and am more than capable driving, but my parents refuse to take me to get road tested and licensed.
Does the law prevent people from getting road tested without their parent until 17? If that's the case, you will just have to take the test on your 18th birthday.

I would get another summer job locally and save up money for your rent deposit. You don't have a vehicle or the funds to move north.

One meal can be 1500-2000 calories. 30 minutes of cardio would burn 100-200 calories. Fat loss starts with eating habits first and exercise last. Stick to water for beverages and eat 2-3 meals a day. Give up snacks and sugar.

If you have no place to stay, look for a Covenant House shelter and join their residency program. It's a homeless shelter that supports teens and young adults under 21. I was homeless at 20 and lived there. I got my first job within my first month of living there. After 8 months of employment, I saved up enough money to move out and got a used vehicle. A shelter may seem scary, but the staff are often more supportive than your own parents. I preferred being at the shelter than living with my parents.

http://www.covenanthouse.org/

Last edited by move4ward; 07-03-2013 at 06:34 AM..

Old 07-03-2013, 06:42 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,465,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
References are easily faked. TV pitchmen do it all the time they pay people $70 off the street to say that this POS product is great and changed their life. Contractors often do this as well. Find someone or pay someone who will say nice things about you.

My opinion is references are a rather useless part of the hiring process. Most places aren't allowed to say much for fear of lawsuits, anyone can find someone to say nice things about them and in cases where someone gives a bad reference it is more often about the person giving the reference (sociopath) than the person the reference is about.

In todays job market you are expected to market yourself so you have to act like a salesmen/marketer lying, hyperbole, cheating etc are part of the game.
If they left on good terms, I would start with contacting the employers at their previous summer jobs before faking them. While they are talking to them, they might also be rehired.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:48 PM

85 posts, read 163,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Before you were given this ultimatum, what did you plan on doing with your life?
Is that relevant or are you just looking for a way to berate the OP?

Old 07-06-2013, 06:34 AM

6,223 posts, read 5,356,171 times
I wouldn't recommend the military unless you really have the smarts. Most of the people I knew that joined got out after 4 years working minimum wage jobs since they didn't qualify for any of the "smart" jobs that can lead to a career after.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:48 AM

7,959 posts, read 9,702,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyBottoms View Post
Is that relevant or are you just looking for a way to berate the OP?
Not trying to berate the OP, just trying to understand what the original plan was. I'm assuming this "out of the house" is interfering with the original plan. If we knew what the ultimate plan was, we might be able to provide specific advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search