Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:51 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times

Advertisements

I got 4 jobs with just a state ID before I got a driver's license. Driving was not a requirement for any of those jobs, and I lived within walking distance of 3 of them. I caught the bus to get to the 4th job. No one cared that I didn't have a driver's license.

If body fat percentage is your issue with getting into the military, just dieting is not going to solve the problem. You need to build muscle by doing weight training. If you don't have access to weights, focus on push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, squats, lunges, and other exercises that build muscle. You can also buy resistance bands pretty cheaply.

I like the Job Corps idea, but you'll receive training similar to what you would get in a trade at a community college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 11:54 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
I hear people bashing his parents but I somewhat support them to a degree.. I wish I would have gotten kicked out sooner to be honest... perhaps 18 is a bit harsh but hey if he's not going to college and there are no jobs around, I'd say the kid just start over somewhere else and in a few years he'll be thanking his parents that they kicked him out. Some kids at that age need a helping hand out the door, especially if they hit 20-21 and are still sitting around at home with no intentions of going to college and especially if they don't have a job and are sitting around playing video games or not helping. Even if they are helping, after age 21-22 they should be kicked out, in my opinion, unless of course they are in college, doing well, but then they are probably on their own already.

With all that said good paying jobs are hard to come by and most jobs pay crap these days... 10-12 bucks an hour maybe up to 15 in a major metro area where rent will cost you 1000+ a month. You might be able to 'live' with that pay but you'll never get ahead, just be stuck as a wage slave spinning in a hamster wheel in a town you hate. Choose your locations carefully. I'd recommend perhaps Chicago area if you are looking for a big city, or perhaps Portland, Oregon. Go out there and see the world and don't worry about being too 'responsible' at your age. See the US/world and find what you like and where you want to live. Don't let anyone tell ya how you need to live your life... a long job history and all that is great, but it's also counterproductive to a person actually having the time to 'see' the world, like they can do in Europe because of universal healthcare and government mandated extra long amounts of vacation we simply do not have here.

It sounds like Obama did one good thing, let adult children remain on their parents health insurance plans. You have to try to get your parents to do this. If they won't, and you are uninsured, don't go saving up huge sums of money.. if you have to go to the ER for any reason the bill will be enormous and I'd just file bankruptcy on it, since I believe we should have a form of Universal healthcare in the US that protects people, even unemployed, from major medical expenses, and the cost of medical care in the US is what I would call 'rediculous' .. so try not to break any bones or you'll end up with a $50,000 medical bill.

If you really want to get ahead, you need to be a doctor or pharmacist, engineer, etc. You could also be in plumber, electrician, independent auto mechanic... so if you are looking to actually want to earn good money, google the highest demand jobs, look at what they pay, and go from there. Blue collar work is mostly crap. There's a few companies left that pay well, not many. Federal government work is a route to go. CIA? FBI?

Military is an option and way to see the world while getting useful training and getting paid and insured at the same time, definitely a good option. Marines would be the best. Part of me wishes I had done this right when I turned 18, but then I probably would have ended up in Iraq or Afghanistan. Also there's the depleted uranium that they love using that can be an issue and cause health problems.

Last edited by sholomar; 07-06-2013 at 12:18 PM..

Old 07-06-2013, 12:12 PM

362 posts, read 559,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Oops. Ignore the advice to find work in the oilfields then. I'm all for women's lib but the oilfield is not a safe place for women, even if they'd hire you (which they wont).
That is so sexist.

As a woman that has worked in predominantly male dominated jobs (law enforcement, firefighting), I am offended.

OP, don't be discouraged, do your research and find out for yourself what opportunities are out there for women. Women snag big chunk of new oil jobs - May. 28, 2013

It seems when brains are needed, they look to the ladies for help.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:36 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisCros View Post
I'm not within the weight standards. Even when taped for body fat, I'm over. I've tried to lose the fat layer causing it, but correct diet is not possible. I've tried everything within my means, and exercise daily and rigorously. Stupid fat layer is very determined to stay
Wow, Wow, Wow. What do you mean that a correct diet is not possible? You want to lose weight? Do what I did.

Eat: lots of vegetables and fruits. Do this at least 2 times a day. Make sure that you have a good breakfast to start the day off.

Drink: Water, lots of water. I normally drink 8 or 9, 20 ounce bottles of water a day. (I refill the same bottle)

Don't eat: things made with milk, flour, fructose, sugar, fat.

I love fiber.

Here is my daily eating habit:

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs. 2 sausages, a cup of potatoes with onions and peppers.

Lunch: A plate of raw spinage, tomatoes, grated carrots, and what ever other vegetable I want to toss on there. No dressing at all.

Dinner: Another salad but add some chicken or Carne Asada with it.

Never eat before 7AM

Never eat after 7PM.

Never snack.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:23 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post

If you really want to get ahead, you need to be a doctor or pharmacist, engineer, etc. You could also be in plumber, electrician, independent auto mechanic... so if you are looking to actually want to earn good money, google the highest demand jobs, look at what they pay, and go from there. Blue collar work is mostly crap. There's a few companies left that pay well, not many. Federal government work is a route to go. CIA? FBI?
The OP seems determined not to go to college even if it's just for a vocational/trade program. Most jobs in the CIA and FBI will require a bachelor's degree.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:56 PM

265 posts, read 409,542 times
I wonder if you're ever too old to join the military. Like, if I wanted to 10 years from now at 34 would I be able to?

Old 07-06-2013, 04:35 PM

11 posts, read 25,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
I wonder if you're ever too old to join the military. Like, if I wanted to 10 years from now at 34 would I be able to?
This article may help you: US Military Enlistment Standards -- Age Limits

____

To reply to other things said since I last checked back here:

-Mom has agreed to help me get my license before 18.
-Older brother has agreed to drive me to and from wherever I may find employment (as my biking range has turned up zilch) as long as I compensate for gas money.
-I'm currently looking into option to "work from home", which seems a viable idea for now to build up a nit of cash to have a safety net. If anyone knows any ways that I may be able to accomplish this with what you know of me from this post, please direct message me, I'd really appreciate it.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:59 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
Please very careful--most "earn money from home" offers are a scam. Even the non-scam ones will involve you trying to sell come crappy product online that will never sell as well as they say it will. But some of the ones that make it sound like you'll be selling some wonderful product are really about just trying to get more people to sign up. since you posted your question, you may now get a lot of people messaging you, trying to get you to sign on, so that they'll make a few bucks from signing you up.

Besides, you are concerned about getting some good references; you won't gather those trying to sell crap online from home.

I'm so glad your mom is now willing to help you get your license before she kicks you out. Keep trying really hard, and maybe that'll make an impression on your parents, who might reward your hard work by easing up a little until you can get out of the house on stable footing.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:08 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
If you are trying to loose weight nothing beats long distance bicycling. The average rider will burn 30-40 calories per mile. I ride 100 miles often though even 20 miles or so will burn significant weight. It also is a decent mode of transportation.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:55 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,899 times
Your "friend" Obama is not helping anybody except forcing people to pay for a product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search