Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 07:39 AM

2,619 posts, read 3,149,268 times

Advertisements

You have a lot against you right now, but you have to play the cards you are dealt. Sadly, you don't have much time to get used to any of this and no extended adolescence at all, like many have enjoyed. You have no time for a laid back lifestyle right now. Like it or not you have to get in gear and drive yourself.

You worked summer jobs before at landscaping, sidewalk repair, etc. Call everyone you worked for, see about work now. You have some record with them. Take anything any of them may have & that is a start, doesn't have to be where you live the next 50 years. Start your resume too and list these places first. List teachers as your references. Force yourself to work hard and do a good job, even when you don't feel like it.

Are there elderly people nearby that would pay you to shop for them and deliver groceries? You could probably do that on your bike for awhile. Do you have any $ at all? Can you buy a small lawn mower and make a few dollars mowing lawns? Some people make money washing cars. Buyh a bucket, sponges & soap. Go door to door. Wash in their yard, using their water & hose. Someone mentioned Labor Ready. Sometimes they can find you work you could not find on your own. Labor Ready, Labor Force, Labor World, Manpower and others are out there.

Someone mentioned finding a church. Absolutely; find an evangelical church nearby with lots of young people. If you are working hard, they will gather round and help you all they can. You may find others in the same boat and provide mutual moral support. Do what you can to help the church too, this is a 2 way street. You will find yourself encouraging and helping others as you move along.

Check with your close friends & see about rooming with one of them and/or their families. If you still have no job, offer to do the laundry, housecleaning or yardwork. Maybe a mom or dad would help you get your driver's license. You really need that to clear some hurdles.

I suggest these routes as it is easier to start from where you are than going to a strange new place with so little. If you can make something happen there, easier to move later.

BTW, do you have any other family nearby or was that already addressed? Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins? Could any of them help you with a place to stay?

Last edited by jmellc; 06-22-2013 at 07:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 07:50 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
If he has a transportation to the job (bus, train etc) and the job does not require driving, why would he need a DL?
That's really beside the point. She's about to begin living independently and it is entirely up to her to decide that she should have a driver's license.

This young woman's parents have utterly failed to prepare her for adult life and now they are standing in her path to prevent her from living independently. These parents still have a legal obligation to support her until age 18. We hear about some terrible parents, but these parents are way up there.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:46 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
That's really beside the point. She's about to begin living independently and it is entirely up to her to decide that she should have a driver's license.
Sure, I just showed that it's not a matter of life and death if she doesn't possess a DL at this time. There are a lot of people without a DL in major cities with good transportation, and off course the ones who can not drive because of medical issues.
We have a situation in which she cannot get a DL now. I don't want to kill all of her hope, while I agree that a DL is very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
This young woman's parents have utterly failed to prepare her for adult life and now they are standing in her path to prevent her from living independently. These parents still have a legal obligation to support her until age 18. We hear about some terrible parents, but these parents are way up there.
Legally her parents obligated to put food in her plate, roof above her head and clothes on her back. That all. Nobody owns her a DL or a car, while I agree that they could really do better in this situation.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:47 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
In most states, a driver's license is considered the most basic ID and anyone without one faces many additional questions and suspicions.
Even if you have an official state ID?

Old 06-22-2013, 10:08 AM

188 posts, read 414,513 times
I would check out Apprenticeships:

Apprenticeship Openings

You could also try to get in an ROTC program (in state tuition would be cheaper):

The GATORDET - Detachment 150

Locate Schools | goarmy.com

Example of some mechanic jobs Mechanics | goarmy.com

Old 06-22-2013, 10:18 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisCros View Post
So, if the title is lacking description, here is my issue:

-I turn 18 in 5 months. My parents have given me one option, at 18 I must vacate their house, and they couldn't care less what happens after that.
-I have worked of-the-book jobs in the summer, ranging from landscaping to remodeling houses to cutting down trees to replacing sidewalk sections.
-I don't have a license. I've had a permit since 15, and am more than capable driving, but my parents refuse to take me to get road tested and licensed.
-I'm an introvert. I can mingle and fit in well, but I have 0 references to use on a resume or job application. Which really, really hurts my odds at getting a job.

I have my high school diploma, and I'm thinking my best option is to head north (Currently in Florida, I don't like the weather here, at all) and take advantage of the oil industry there. I've been told Montana is a good start. My best option at the moment is likely to travel by bus, I can condense all of my belongings into two suitcases and a carry on, as well as I'm able to scrounge enough to pay for a ticket.

The issue lies in, how do I find employment, and somewhere to live/rooming, for somewhere outside of where I am now. Also, being 17, that is going to likely pose a challenge where most places require you to be 18 for employment?

If anyone can offer any advice, or has further questions, any and everything is greatly appreciated.
You're parents are kicking you out of their house and you "mingle and fit in well", but don't have anyone you can ask for a reference? You have dropped out of school and never had a "real" job.

You need to stop and ask yourself why you cannot get along with people. Being an introvert is not an excuse if you "mingle and fit in well" with people. THAT IS NOT BEING AN INTROVERT.

There is a whole lot more to this story that you are not disclosing. If you want fair, honest responses, you need to be fair and honest with us as well.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-22-2013, 10:32 AM

11 posts, read 25,423 times
@20yrsinBranson

I did NOT drop out of school. I have my diploma. I've never had a real job because I wasn't allowed to work during the school year, and all I could get was poo-poor labor jobs off the books.

I never said I couldn't get along with people either. I get along fine, but the relationships I form are like when you take dogs to a dog park, the dogs play together, but don't become friends. They make do with what they have for the moment. I avoid forming long term bonds. It works better for me, usually. I have no references because for the past 17 years I've either been at home or at school. I kept my head down and did my work, I didn't bother with social interaction unless the situation needed it. I was never very close to my family, and the temporary friends I did have I no longer have contact with and don't wish for it either.

Sometimes, there isn't much to the story, other than a quiet person that chooses to not be a cookie cutter human being.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:39 AM

501 posts, read 801,228 times
Since when is it a requirement to need a driver's license in order to be hired for non-driving jobs? On the I9 other acceptable required documents are state id and passport. He will still be hired with a state id because it is a valid form of identification unless he is applying for positions that require driving.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:09 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I was in your situation at 18. I actually had a full scholarship to college, but my parents threw me out and I had to go to work full-time. I gave up on the scholarship because I kept falling asleep on the bus (working full-time and going to school full time and spending at least three hours a day on the bus didn't leave much time for sleep) and waking up with gross things happening to me. I was also too large to join the military.

I noticed people suggesting Job Corps, which is possibly a good option for you. They will teach you a trade (my husband learned welding and auto repair there) and help you get your driver's license. It would be a roof over your head and three meals a day.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:45 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen View Post
Since when is it a requirement to need a driver's license in order to be hired for non-driving jobs? On the I9 other acceptable required documents are state id and passport. He will still be hired with a state id because it is a valid form of identification unless he is applying for positions that require driving.
That is true, I had a state ID for a long time and it was never a problem when I brought it as a document for I-9. In fact, I continue to use the state ID for my travel wallet. Don't get me wrong, a driver's licence opens up new jobs. You can enter into Fed Ex or UPS, even USPS driver jobs. However there are a number of jobs that do not require a driver's licence even for ID.

I repeat that the military (if you can get the weight down) is a good option and jobcorps is too. I guess try with jobcorps first because you fit the criteria that they look for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search