U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 12:36 PM

11 posts, read 23,330 times

Advertisements

So, if the title is lacking description, here is my issue:

-I turn 18 in 5 months. My parents have given me one option, at 18 I must vacate their house, and they couldn't care less what happens after that.
-I have worked of-the-book jobs in the summer, ranging from landscaping to remodeling houses to cutting down trees to replacing sidewalk sections.
-I don't have a license. I've had a permit since 15, and am more than capable driving, but my parents refuse to take me to get road tested and licensed.
-I'm an introvert. I can mingle and fit in well, but I have 0 references to use on a resume or job application. Which really, really hurts my odds at getting a job.

I have my high school diploma, and I'm thinking my best option is to head north (Currently in Florida, I don't like the weather here, at all) and take advantage of the oil industry there. I've been told Montana is a good start. My best option at the moment is likely to travel by bus, I can condense all of my belongings into two suitcases and a carry on, as well as I'm able to scrounge enough to pay for a ticket.

The issue lies in, how do I find employment, and somewhere to live/rooming, for somewhere outside of where I am now. Also, being 17, that is going to likely pose a challenge where most places require you to be 18 for employment?

If anyone can offer any advice, or has further questions, any and everything is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 12:46 PM

973 posts, read 1,245,713 times
If you are going to get a HS Diploma, the best suggestion I could make would be talk to a Military Recruiter now.

If you go off on your trip like you want, you better factor in food money

No matter which way you go, it is a hard situation.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:46 PM

15,151 posts, read 19,908,205 times
Without knowing why your parents are evicting you and why they refuse to help you get a driver's license, it's difficult to give you very much advice.

I'll tell you that North Dakota and Pennsylvania are also good places to start working in the oil/gas fields. Be aware that, if you secure a job there (or anywhere else), you'll probably be doing undesirable jobs for probably not much pay to start. But, for someone who's willing to work hard and not complain about anything, the oil field offers a fair amount of security and opportunity for advancement -- at least, that's been my observation as someone who spent 45 years in the industry.

Edited to add that I do agree with BP72's advice to talk to a military recruiter, although I understand anyone's being reluctant to join the service and be deployed these days. Should you go see a recruiter, be sure to bring your "BS Detector" along.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:52 PM

My older brother was in college, dropped out, and came back home, he does nothing to help. They don't want another "freeloader" like him.

I have spoken to a military recruiter, of every branch, I do not meet the physical requirements for any of the branches.
They refuse to let me get a drivers license because I "don't need it" since I can obviously ride my bike everywhere I need to, and they don't want me getting a car and parking here.
Overall, they're just unsupportive and been pushed to their limit by older brother, who should be the one getting booted alongside me.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:57 PM

27,619 posts, read 15,973,743 times
I would go look at the National Guard or Air Force if you want to get into the military. Through this you can gain experience and then jump into a job based on relevant work experience or use the GI bill to get an associates or bachelors in a field you would do good in and there is a need in (hopefully you can use the military experience for this job after school.)

Old 06-21-2013, 12:57 PM

KrisCos, can you make an arrangement with your parents that you'll get a job and pay them rent -- and that, if you stick to your end of the deal, they wont evict you?

I understand their being fed up with your brother's freeloading but it seems unlikely that they'd make you (and only you) pay for his sins.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:00 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,276,506 times
You can use your teachers for references.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:04 PM

I've already attempted to make such an arrangement with them. They have declined my offer due to the fact I haven't found a job yet, and they don't believe I will in our area (there is nothing within biking distance here that I haven't applied to, I either don't meet age requirement, or they don't want to hire me. Lack of references is killing me in this.).

My brother is supposed to be leaving for community college in August(?)ish, that is the only reason they even tolerate him, if he isn't gone, I am sure they will treat him the same. The problem is I have 0 plans on what to do now that I've graduated, and they aren't okay with that. My mom has said that it will be better to boot me on my own and make me figure it out, instead of what they did with my brother by letting him come back and over-stay his welcome.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:15 PM

973 posts, read 1,245,713 times
Well, if I remember Florida Law correctly, they have to go to court to legally kick you out since you considered a resident of that household. That buys you at least 30 days of being 18 to get rolling locally if you have to. Thats if you want to push it. They can call the cops all they want, the cops will do nothing without the court on evictions. I was a L.E.O. in Fl. many years back. Don't just take my word on it. Check it out for yourself.

You have done landscaping and tree cutting... focus there. House Remodeling... look into house construction.

Build up money there where you can before you make the jump to Montana. Maybe start contacting help groups like Salvation Army, Dept. of Human Services and such for leads on what you can do in your situation. No matter what, your going to have to hustle.

Edit: If they do call the Police without a Court Order... talk with the Officer while they are there anyways. They might know places you can call for help too.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:20 PM

So you have no job and no probable way to get one in your area. Now your parents' actions are more understandable -- although not totally acceptable. How is your brother paying for college? You can apply for one (or more) of many loans/grants online. My adult daughter (who got a GED 20 years ago) and my grandson (age 26) are both currently attending college using loans and grants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search