Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 01:00 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,084,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisCros View Post
@20yrsinBranson

I did NOT drop out of school. I have my diploma. I've never had a real job because I wasn't allowed to work during the school year, and all I could get was poo-poor labor jobs off the books.

I never said I couldn't get along with people either. I get along fine, but the relationships I form are like when you take dogs to a dog park, the dogs play together, but don't become friends. They make do with what they have for the moment. I avoid forming long term bonds. It works better for me, usually. I have no references because for the past 17 years I've either been at home or at school. I kept my head down and did my work, I didn't bother with social interaction unless the situation needed it. I was never very close to my family, and the temporary friends I did have I no longer have contact with and don't wish for it either.

Sometimes, there isn't much to the story, other than a quiet person that chooses to not be a cookie cutter human being.
I can relate to your situation because I too, am not a "friend maker" by nature. In fact, I have lived in the same small town for a very long time and I doubt if three people know me well enough to say hello on the street.

That having been said, it is to your ADVANTAGE to cultivate acquaintances that will benefit you in the future. Do not feel like a user in doing this because this is what people DO. They get to know people who will help them. In fact, a very large percentage of "friendships" are created solely for this purpose. In professional circles it's called networking, and nobody feels the least bit bad or guilty about using each other for their own advancement. You have to be willing to play the game a little if you hope to get ahead in the world.

As the other posters have mentioned the first step would be to get a State ID card so that you can get a "real job" without having to have a driver's license. You might check around to see if there is any public transportation available. Here, where I live, there is a "2Go bus that will take people places. Although, I have not seen it lately, maybe funding was cut due to the sequestration. Anyway, you might contact your county to see if there are any options available.

You need to check the paper to see if there are any low-cost housing options such as rooms for rent. You may have to move to a larger town after you turn 18 in order to find employment that you can bike/walk or ride a city bus to.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 06:45 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,406,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen View Post
Since when is it a requirement to need a driver's license in order to be hired for non-driving jobs? On the I9 other acceptable required documents are state id and passport. He will still be hired with a state id because it is a valid form of identification unless he is applying for positions that require driving.
When there's 500 applications for a bagger job at the supermarket, the manager can and WILL look for ways to eliminate applicants. Not having a drivers license is only one of the many ways, and YES, it doesn't matter what the job is.

I just got my license in November, right before my birthday. Even I would have a leg up against this person. Especially for something like pizza delivery jobs.

I don't agree with how employers are doing things these days but it's happening.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:19 AM

417 posts, read 824,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I know, but he's going to need an actual driver's license in order to get to a job, whether at home or in a new place.
I thought the Op was 17, had non-supporting parents, didn't have a job and thereby no money, and that the driving test wasn't free. Where I live I think it's up to about 300$ for people to take the road test. In any case, getting a license might open up some kind of driving jobs in the future. So if you can swing it...the driving centric United States is probably a good place to have a license...

As for advice on what to do, having skimmed a few post I don't see anything I can further add.

GL OP...

Old 06-23-2013, 08:49 AM

5 posts, read 4,937 times
Try job corps there is one in jacksonville you can live there and get job training you can look the up online. good luck

Old 06-23-2013, 08:54 AM

5 posts, read 4,937 times
try job corps you can live there and get free job training theres one in jacksonville look them up online

Old 06-24-2013, 05:03 PM

2,607 posts, read 3,133,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Even if you have an official state ID?
Most anywhere I have worked the past 20 years, they request a DL as ID. While they will take other forms, they ask a lot of questions about why no DL. They suspect DWI's or lack of initiative to get a DL. Much easier to have one & avoid the questions.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:26 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,406,925 times
My parents wanted me to go to job corps and after recieving the forms for it, I found out it's basically like a concentration camp/prison. If you are just an honest young kid looking for direction in life job corps may not be the best option. Unless you enjoy living with ex-felons and ex-gang members. You can also get robbed.

Not to mention, congress wants to cut programs like this.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:47 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,681,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
My parents wanted me to go to job corps and after recieving the forms for it, I found out it's basically like a concentration camp/prison. If you are just an honest young kid looking for direction in life job corps may not be the best option. Unless you enjoy living with ex-felons and ex-gang members. You can also get robbed.

Not to mention, congress wants to cut programs like this.
My brother works at Job Corps and yes there are ex-felons and gang members there. However, he says it usually depends on the Job Corps in your area as to how rough it is. Some Job Corps locations are better than others. However, if you are a decent person, it can offer the opportunity to learn a trade, have a place to live, and even complete an apprenticeship.

My brother told me that one kid he worked with moved to a Job Corps in California and was offered the opportunity to learn solar panel installation and now makes $30 an hour. Not to shabby for someone with no degree.

Job Corps is a lot better than the street no matter what because at least you get a bed to sleep in.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:23 PM

650 posts, read 1,809,650 times
As a woman, you should have an easy time getting into a construction trade union. They are required to have a certain amount of women to avoid discrimination lawsuits, so your chances are very high. Here in NYC, the lowest union trade makes $36 an hour.

With that said, your toughest challenge is finding housing and lasting long enough for the unions to call you back after you apply. They are slow with that process and NYC is expensive.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:32 PM

2,607 posts, read 3,133,422 times
Any progress here? How about the people you did your off book jobs for in the past? How about the lawn mowing or car washing? How about the grocery delivery idea? Have you checked with the temporary services?

Have you checked about flipping burgers at McDonald's or similar places? Not the most fun job but more available than some. How about Home Depot? They hire clerks & stock people. Same with supermarkets & variety stores like Dollar General, Family Dollar, etc. Someone will hire you if you stay at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search