U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 11:09 AM

15,402 posts, read 17,704,964 times

Advertisements

No, they won't take offensive if you don't drink. Don't say anything about it. Order whatever you want to drink while others are drinking...whether it be an iced tea or lemonade or root beer I wouldn't say "I don't drink". There is no reason to say that. Besides, how do they know if you drink alcohol, once in awhile. Just not worth bringing it up...ESPECIALLY in a 2 day interview...or ever. If you say that you don't drink, they might ask why!!!! or they might assume you have some issues, possibly medical. Just order your lemonade and act like you hang around chatting and drinking lemonade on a regular basis.

I would not bring up relo assistance unless THEY bring it up first. This stuff is almost always withheld during the interview phase and brought up at offer time. You want them to "fall for you" first.

Go with the flow as if you are being shown the ropes. Take notes. Ask questions. This is a 2 day job interview. Don't send your food back or be picky with ordering. Don't mention the oppressive heat or that you think it's isolated or rural or anything that might be interpreted as 'not liking' the area. Make sure you fit in with everyone you meet.

They might be concerned about you handling the winters there. Just let them know that IL gets some cold, windy snowy winters as well.

Wyoming sounds AWESOME. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 05:46 PM

9,081 posts, read 8,480,785 times
Yes, I should have been clearer.

Do not talk about relo, benefits, pay, etc unless they bring it up first, preferably in the context of an offer. However, if they are paying for you to fly out for a couple of days it is likely that some form of relocation will be part of the package.

Order ice tea, seltzer water, whatever. Nobody will even think about it. Would you really want to join a company where drinking was expected?

Keep all of your receipts, including airport parking. Turn them in very promptly.

Ask questions, offer a few mild observations and be complementary of them, as well as of your past employers.

Give them a reason to think you would enjoy moving to Wyoming. Talk about your love for winter sports, rock climbing, that great vacation you had in Yellowstone, whatever is applicable and true.

Turn off your cell phone.

Expect to meet lots of people. Everybody you would potentially work with, HR, others. Remember all of their names and use them. Take notes if you have to. I prefer to ask for everybody's card in the guise of taking a quick note about their job area. I do that, but I also write a quick coded description of the person on the card because I am terrible with faces. For me, this is a coded description of hairstyle. Br/M/S would be brown, medium straight hair.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:23 PM

8 posts, read 5,008 times
It's a small company plane, they offered to pay for lodging to begin with but then called back saying I can fly over with his attorney and partner. A 3hour flight vs a 13hour drive is a no brainer. I want it to be clear that they weren't going to buy me a ticket I think I just got lucky that I could hitch a ride.

So now I have a 3 hour flight rubbing elbows with the company attorney and the co-owner which is his brother to boot. I am very anxious about the whole thing and kind of freaking out.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:55 PM

2,384 posts, read 1,203,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adank View Post
It's a small company plane, they offered to pay for lodging to begin with but then called back saying I can fly over with his attorney and partner. A 3hour flight vs a 13hour drive is a no brainer. I want it to be clear that they weren't going to buy me a ticket I think I just got lucky that I could hitch a ride.

So now I have a 3 hour flight rubbing elbows with the company attorney and the co-owner which is his brother to boot. I am very anxious about the whole thing and kind of freaking out.
A can understand your anxiety. Those 3 hours in the plane can be very important. Learn the location of the plain, take some extra time for not being late to the flight, god forbid.
Good luck!

Old 06-22-2013, 07:13 PM

112 posts, read 246,472 times
I didn't drink until I was about 40. I didn't say "I don't drink" because I thought it sounded like either I could be judgmental of those that did drink or I was in recovery. So I didn't say anything. Looking back, that is the best thing to do. Just order a ginger ale or a coke and don't feel the need to share.
Good luck.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:12 AM

145 posts, read 319,891 times
Please don't be offended but I saw your post and want to be candid....it sounds like your resume gives the impression you are more 'experienced' than you might be in getting treated like you have the experience. This sounds like someone who is impressed with your resume and conversation with you and IS interested in you working for him. I would highly suggest: keep a humble mind BUT look at yourself as the professional he thinks you are. If you haven't been given that kind of responsibility I am sure with effort you will grow into it. The point is....people who are successful and serious offer this....he is more interested in you BEING interested in his business more than you making a paycheck. This c/b a real blessing b/c he would value you once you have proven yourself to him and maybe his team. Now with this said, the markets have been tough and relocation has dwindled. I would expect a modest relocation package, that he will put you up for 14-30 days so you can find a place (this usually does not include food, just housing). If you are impressed with this company/position....think like you HAVE been treated in such a matter. If he offers you $25k as a relo package, do NOT let your mouth drop open. If he gives you a lump sum for the move, you don't have to spend it all on the move. I have done this several times and then instead of hiring a moving company, I'd pack up then hire 2 men and a truck on both ends, and drive the truck myself. Also....between now and then....make lists. 1. Ask questions about the job OPPORTUNITY. Show him you are interested in his business, not just what you can get out of it. What does he want you to do? What is his business plan for the year, five years, ten years. What has he had difficulty with in his endeavor, this will tell you how you can help him out and impress him and show your value. 2. Ask about the community, the people, recreation. 3. Know what living expenses are like in Wyoming, to get there and to live there. 4. Come up with what you 'need' to get there and moved in, then raise it 20%. But, in keeping with changing your mind set about yourself before Monday, also be sure you are gracious, humble, appreciative. It sounds like you need to change your mindset. Look at the opportunity, be interested in more the opportunity than a paycheck or the mini details. It is in the opportunity that you could write your own ticket and make Wyoming your home. Best of luck!

Old 06-29-2013, 08:39 AM

15,402 posts, read 17,704,964 times
How did the trip go?

Old 06-29-2013, 08:51 AM

It went great! I'm sure he will offer a position. We drove around 500 miles in a day and a half and got along great we are the same age 33. I'm just not sure how long to wait. Also if anybody can tell me the best way to buy a house 900 miles away while I'm paying mortage on one here? That seems to be the hardest part of the transition.

Thanks

Old 06-29-2013, 09:15 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,470,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adank View Post
It went great! I'm sure he will offer a position. We drove around 500 miles in a day and a half and got along great we are the same age 33. I'm just not sure how long to wait. Also if anybody can tell me the best way to buy a house 900 miles away while I'm paying mortage on one here? That seems to be the hardest part of the transition.

Thanks
If you cannot carry two mortgages for a short period of time then make the offer on the new house contingent on the sale of the current one.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:34 AM

How would i do that? A contract with homeowner or mortgage co.? I have just been looking at homes on zillow, should i contact the online agent? This part seems way over my head and I don't want to get in trouble. Forgive the dumb questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or