Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 12:17 PM

35 posts, read 83,073 times

Advertisements

to hiring-managers, HR(Human Resources People), overall, to employers? Why has it always been like that and probably always will? why do they always want to know what the applicant, job-seeker has been doing in that time span? why does it matter to them? why should it matter? Even if the person is not a criminal, has no criminal record, etc. Why do they always have to assume that the person was lazy? I wish hiring-managers, employers, would mind their own business sometimes, I hate how the past always has and unfortunately always will matter to hiring-managers, employers, because a person's past should not dictate their future. Even one person agrees with me by saying: "I know man, how you feel! Its like can't people change? I guess they wonder that maybe you have aproblem of some sort. I say anyone can change, A person can say "tomorrow I will start to be more responsible, and do this etc. Like its really a joke to me, that Hrs put so much weight into your past. smh" If a person is never given a chance to change how can they? An example is this "
Humans are weird that way. Same with criminals. An employer may say "this guy has a criminal record. I don't want him." How's a person to reform if he's never given a chance? So I see what you mean. Again, humans are weird."
Because i'd been reading posts in here about some people who are in their 20's who have never had a job before or they just have limited job, work experience, they don't have much job experience for someone there age, and entry-level jobs, customer-service jobs, minimum-wage jobs, you know, for example: McDonald's and other Fast-Food places, Movie Theaters by being an Usher, Grocery Stores, easy position by being a Grocery Bagger or Stock postion, Retailers such as Walmart, Target, Home Depot, OSH, JC Penny, Macy's, SEARS, overall, those type of Jobs, you need experience for even those type of jobs, why are employers so lazy, reluctant to train inexperienced people nowadays for easy jobs like those I mentioned? I hate how you are expected, employers require you to have certain employment, job experience by a certain-age, why do they feel they can judge an applicant before they completely know him or her? why can't they just train him or her for a month without pay so the applicant can have a chance to prove himself/herself to the manager, boss.

A person's past should not dictate their future, people say that all the time when giving people advice for how to succeed in life, on how to take charge, control for their lives, that you gotta leave the past behind, don't dwell in the past, but yet hiring-managers, human resources, employers for entry-level job positions, customer-service jobs, minimum-wage jobs, they always have to be so damn judgemental, they always have to assume, think that a person's work ethic in the past is the same in the present, why does Volunteering look good on a resume, application? I find it preposterous that people have to work, volunteer just to get hired, to get a job, it's almost like slavery again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 12:30 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,506 times
tell me about it, geeze, you really nailed it man.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:35 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
The sheer repetition in these posts is mind-numbing. So many negative and miserable people railing against everything and with not a positive spark in sight. Employers can see the chip on the shoulder has long since enveloped the whole body - and is visible from a mile away. Oh, but wait, silly me. I was raised in another era where we all had it SO good and SO easy and we have NO clue at all how hopeless everything is today.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The sheer repetition in these posts is mind-numbing. So many negative and miserable people railing against everything and with not a positive spark in sight. Employers can see the chip on the shoulder has long since enveloped the whole body - and is visible from a mile away. Oh, but wait, silly me. I was raised in another era where we all had it SO good and SO easy and we have NO clue at all how hopeless everything is today.
you really enjoy rubbing it in everyones faces do you?

Old 04-16-2012, 12:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
It is pretty obvious why it matters. You are being compared to people without employment gaps, or gaps that were filled with school or volunteer work. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see which looks better.

Think of it from the perspective of the applicant who doesn't have gaps. Why should you get hired over that person?

Old 04-16-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It is pretty obvious why it matters. You are being compared to people without employment gaps, or gaps that were filled with school or volunteer work. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see which looks better.

Think of it from the perspective of the applicant who doesn't have gaps. Why should you get hired over that person?
some people even have school or volunteer work, but they still do not get hired, the reason why a person should get hired is because thats the only way they will get experience, it should not be late for something in life like employment, people can change you know

Old 04-16-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by despiseloatheinitiating View Post
some people even have school or volunteer work, but they still do not get hired, the reason why a person should get hired is because thats the only way they will get experience, it should not be late for something in life like employment, people can change you know
They CAN, but nothing promises they WILL. With so many applicants for each position, it wouldn't make any sense to hire someone who is questionable over someone with a solid work history. I'm sure you are frustrated, but it isn't a difficult concept.

Just an FYI before you think I'm some a-hole manager rubbing it in, I've been home with my kids for 5 years and am not currently working. I have to hope someone out there thinks raising my kids plus a little volunteer work was a good enough gap-filler.

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 04-16-2012 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-16-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
They CAN, but nothing promises they WILL. With so many applicants for each position, it wouldn't make any sense to hire someone who is questionable over someone with a solid work history. I'm sure you are frustrated, but it isn't a difficult concept.

Just an FYI before you think I'm some a-hole manager rubbing it in, I've been home with my kids for 5 years and am not currently working. I have to hope someone out there thinks raising my kids plus a little volunteer work was a good enough gap-filler.
i just hate how the type of jobs i mentioned, you know, entry-level jobs, customer-service jobs, retail, minimum-wage jobs, fast-food places, because i feel sorry for some of the users on here who don't have much work experience for their age, and they have no choice but to volunteer, because volunteering you don't get paid for it, yes the people i feel sorry for, it is their fault, they are accountable, responsible for their lack of experience somewhat but a person's past should not dictate their future, people in life deserve a second-chance

Old 04-16-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by despiseloatheinitiating View Post
i just hate how the type of jobs i mentioned, you know, entry-level jobs, customer-service jobs, retail, minimum-wage jobs, fast-food places, because i feel sorry for some of the users on here who don't have much work experience for their age, and they have no choice but to volunteer, because volunteering you don't get paid for it, yes the people i feel sorry for, it is their fault, they are accountable, responsible for their lack of experience somewhat but a person's past should not dictate their future, people in life deserve a second-chance
I do feel sorry for the young people who don't have experience simply because of their age. to me that isn't an "employment gap".

Old 04-16-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I do feel sorry for the young people who don't have experience simply because of their age. to me that isn't an "employment gap".
yeah, but deep inside, i know, there is way too much competition in this weak, horrible economy, it has become an employers, hiring-managers market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search