U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-22-2013, 09:14 PM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,660 posts, read 3,050,698 times
Reputation: 3112

Advertisements

We all know they are discriminating against people who haven't worked in awhile, so I was wondering, if I get a job, and it's not in my field, let's just say it's a PT retail job at PetSmart or something.

Should I put that on my resume so they can see I'm still working, even if it's not in my field? Or do I only put jobs that are relevant to my field? Hmmm....thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-22-2013, 09:31 PM
 
Location: S. Florida
1,100 posts, read 2,661,484 times
Reputation: 1419
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
We all know they are discriminating against people who haven't worked in awhile, so I was wondering, if I get a job, and it's not in my field, let's just say it's a PT retail job at PetSmart or something.

Should I put that on my resume so they can see I'm still working, even if it's not in my field? Or do I only put jobs that are relevant to my field? Hmmm....thoughts?
You want to put down current work experience (even if it's not in your field.) It's important that you show you have been working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2013, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Brambleton, VA
2,187 posts, read 6,831,691 times
Reputation: 2161
Actually, it depends on the job and when you had that job. If you had the job at Petsmart during college, and it isn't relevant to the field you work in, don't include it. If you had it during a time that you weren't in school, include it. There is more harm including a job that you didn't actually have or a degree that you didn't earn than not including a job that you did have that doesn't happen to be relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2013, 09:46 PM
 
503 posts, read 1,033,345 times
Reputation: 410
The problem is that some candidates have no relevant experience in the field they are pursuing yet due to misfortune with the job market and/or career transitions.

If I were to leave the only relevant job on my resume for say, PetSmart, it would appear as if I only worked 1 job from 2010-2011 and was unemployed since. Upon asking, I'd have to tell them my job history. Upon a background check, they would find out my job history. Why hide it?

For most people though, their situation isn't as drastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2013, 09:50 PM
 
Location: Brambleton, VA
2,187 posts, read 6,831,691 times
Reputation: 2161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
The problem is that some candidates have no relevant experience in the field they are pursuing yet due to misfortune with the job market and/or career transitions.

If I were to leave the only relevant job on my resume for say, PetSmart, it would appear as if I only worked 1 job from 2010-2011 and was unemployed since. Upon asking, I'd have to tell them my job history. Upon a background check, they would find out my job history. Why hide it?

For most people though, their situation isn't as drastic.
Actually, background checks only verify the employment you list, the education you claim, and they do not verify anything that you don't list, nor can they legally (unless you work for the CIA or some other security clearance required job) do that extensive of a background check. It is a huge embarrassment for organizations to have a senior executive claim that they worked for a certain company, or got an education from say Harvard, when they didn't. Which is why the background check industry has gotten quite busy. It is a huge misconception that background checks will find employment that you didn't list. There is no good way for them to do that, nor is it in their best interest 99% of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2013, 09:58 PM
 
503 posts, read 1,033,345 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Actually, background checks only verify the employment you list, the education you claim, and they do not verify anything that you don't list, nor can they legally (unless you work for the CIA or some other security clearance required job) do that extensive of a background check. It is a huge embarrassment for organizations to have a senior executive claim that they worked for a certain company, or got an education from say Harvard, when they didn't. Which is why the background check industry has gotten quite busy. It is a huge misconception that background checks will find employment that you didn't list. There is no good way for them to do that, nor is it in their best interest 99% of the time.
Wow. I really wish I knew that. I've been told by everybody I ask that they can check your unlisted job history, etc. Like there's some HR database where they can check everything linked to school and work for you.

If that's the case, time to re-do my resume for the umpteenth time. Unless employers would think no resume work since 2011 is worse than job hopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2013, 10:03 PM
 
Location: PHL
287 posts, read 548,189 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Actually, background checks only verify the employment you list, the education you claim, and they do not verify anything that you don't list, nor can they legally (unless you work for the CIA or some other security clearance required job) do that extensive of a background check. It is a huge embarrassment for organizations to have a senior executive claim that they worked for a certain company, or got an education from say Harvard, when they didn't. Which is why the background check industry has gotten quite busy. It is a huge misconception that background checks will find employment that you didn't list. There is no good way for them to do that, nor is it in their best interest 99% of the time.
Here's a question for you, I have done web sites and other things [freelancing] on the side during the time when I was going to school . How does the background check verify that? should I just use my self as an reference or have someone listed as a verifier? How does one get around that or are they completely screwed?

My education verifies as well as the loans unfortunately.

Last edited by Merchant_ZZZ; 06-22-2013 at 10:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2013, 01:02 AM
 
Location: California
4,402 posts, read 11,608,768 times
Reputation: 3129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
Wow. I really wish I knew that. I've been told by everybody I ask that they can check your unlisted job history, etc. Like there's some HR database where they can check everything linked to school and work for you.

If that's the case, time to re-do my resume for the umpteenth time. Unless employers would think no resume work since 2011 is worse than job hopping.
Careful with that. Social Security traces sometimes will come back with employment history on them. It is not complete, but it is there. Each job you have reports to Social Security. Some employers require there is a trace done on your social showing where it was issued, if it is in the death index, etc. Sometimes the verification of the trace digs up something you may have tried to hide. Not all companies do the trace, but some do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2013, 02:00 AM
 
503 posts, read 1,033,345 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Careful with that. Social Security traces sometimes will come back with employment history on them. It is not complete, but it is there. Each job you have reports to Social Security. Some employers require there is a trace done on your social showing where it was issued, if it is in the death index, etc. Sometimes the verification of the trace digs up something you may have tried to hide. Not all companies do the trace, but some do...
And the circle is complete. I feel like I'm watching the OJ trial all over again. Incriminating evidence towards one verdict, yet we're presented the other. It's the same advice I get for every college major, too.

I think I should stop using the internet. It puts me at a mental stalemate by every evening. But it's so addicting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2013, 03:23 AM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,660 posts, read 3,050,698 times
Reputation: 3112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
You want to put down current work experience (even if it's not in your field.) It's important that you show you have been working.
I think that summed up what was said everywhere else, thank you. I was thinking with so many companies not hiring people out of work for more than 30-days, I'd better get some sort of job, any job.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Actually, it depends on the job and when you had that job. If you had the job at Petsmart during college, and it isn't relevant to the field you work in, don't include it. If you had it during a time that you weren't in school, include it. There is more harm including a job that you didn't actually have or a degree that you didn't earn than not including a job that you did have that doesn't happen to be relevant.
Actually, it'd be a job while I'm looking for a position in my field. I'm currently unemployed and see so many things say "requirements: working within the past 30-days" which made me think, I'd better find anything so I can qualify for those places, if I want to. But I get what you're saying.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
The problem is that some candidates have no relevant experience in the field they are pursuing yet due to misfortune with the job market and/or career transitions.

If I were to leave the only relevant job on my resume for say, PetSmart, it would appear as if I only worked 1 job from 2010-2011 and was unemployed since. Upon asking, I'd have to tell them my job history. Upon a background check, they would find out my job history. Why hide it?

For most people though, their situation isn't as drastic.

Yeah, this is what I figured. But like I said, figured I'd ask because I have no idea what's really going on. I haven't been unemployed since I was 17 (and that's because I didn't have to work, lol). I do have to admit. The time off has been nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top