Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 07:09 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times

Advertisements

I've decided to have my resume professionally done because I'm not getting even nibbles on the one I have out there. I had a version that had no dates on it and did generate some interest with that one but it was only to ask for dates. I'm trying to make a return to engineering after being downsized out of a 17 year career in automotive engineering in 2007. I've been teaching high school chemistry, physics and math since then but have decided that the politics of teaching is too much to handle. (FTR, I'm not alone. 50% of teachers quit teaching by the 5 year mark).

My resume, obviously, needs something that I haven't given it because it is not generating interest. Now the question is, which service to use.

Here are the ones I've looked at. Does anyone have any experience with any of them?

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]http://www.resumewritinggroup.com/index.html[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]http://www.resumemycareer.com/[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]http://employmentboost.com/[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]http://www.thelettersmith.com/[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 11:15 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,093 times
Wish I could help but I have no experience with any of the links you provided but I'll say that it works wonder for my wife (she's trying to get a state job) when she finally did hired someone to redo her resume. She hasn't gotten a job offer yet but she has gotten more calls than her old resume. Definitely saw a huge difference in call backs for interviews. She paid $50 for resume and cover letter. The lady that wrote my wife's resume did a pretty fine job for $50. Should she have paid more? No, I don't think it would have benefited her to pay more since she is just looking to get into Admin support/office type of job. Make sure the resume writer you hired has the experience level to write the resume you want. You don't want someone who only have experience writing resume for low level jobs to write a resume for you if you are seeking an executive type job.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:49 AM

501 posts, read 801,089 times
I used one that is not on the aforementioned list, however, I paid $100 for a one page resume and I never received one response. So I am somewhat reluctant to go that route again; hopefully you will have better luck that I did.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:07 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
I think you'd be far better off reading one of the gazillion resume books and writing your own resume as opposed to paying someone else to write one for you.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:23 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,252 times
this book might be a bit old, but I used it when I needed to refresh my resume and cover letter. I found it really helpful. And it would be a lot cheaper than hiring a professional resume service.

How to Say It in Your Job Search: Robbie Miller Kaplan: 9780735201859: Amazon.com: Books

Old 07-11-2013, 03:59 PM

382 posts, read 664,191 times
It is called using that space in between your ears. The fee is zero. Do your research and tailor your resume and asked for criticism/feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search