Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:34 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,306 times

Advertisements

I know this question sounds stupid. But I want to know, do I have chance to find a job?

In a couple years I want to come to the USA.

I'm a 30 years old, single man. For about 10 years I have been working in their field.

Mostly I work in InDesign and make books. Besides I work in CorelDraw, Photoshop a little.

Can you advice me something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 07:40 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
You will need to be sponsored by an employer who can proved there is no local talent available to do the same kind of work. Then, you would need to be one of thousands of applicants to get one of the small number ofvisas available. You must be eligible to legally work in the USA.

Employment-Based Immigrant Visas

Old 06-24-2013, 08:03 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Chances are pretty slim. You do not have a critical skill and your position could be filled with local talent.

If you are part of the EU, your best bet is to find a job in the EU with a company that also operates in the US. Either that, or bring over enough money to start your own business.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:09 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
There’s not a lot of demand for desktop publishing/typesetting in the US anymore. Technology and templates have killed the industry—and a lot of the work is being outsourced to places like India.

The people who get visas to work in the US are usually programmers, not designers.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:25 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
As a print-only designer, you will have a very tough time. The only jobs that will be available will be for small print shops. Most of the job postings for "graphic designer" require SOME web/digital experience, even if it's not a large part of the job.

You have a few years to plan. Pick a region of the US you are thinking of moving to, and search on Monster or CareerBuilder for the job that you want -- you will see exactly what skills they are looking for.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:27 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
I'm in the industry and graphic designers are a dime a dozen here. Whenever I hear someone telling me that they are going to go back to school to become a graphic designer and drop $20-$30,000 on a degree I try to talk them out of it.

The only graphic designers that I know making a living designing print tend to have a very specific niche. As an example, just got off the phone with someone who specializes in designing labels for retail packaging. Most of the graphic designers who work in house at a print shop generally are there to clean up the files for pre-production. So they really don't design much, just convert files, clean up bad artwork and the like.

I've actually worked with graphic designers overseas, you might be better off staying there and figuring out how to market your services online.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:59 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atai J. View Post
I know this question sounds stupid. But I want to know, do I have chance to find a job?

In a couple years I want to come to the USA.

I'm a 30 years old, single man. For about 10 years I have been working in their field.

Mostly I work in InDesign and make books. Besides I work in CorelDraw, Photoshop a little.

Can you advice me something?
The only chances are marrying an american or winning the DV lottery. Your chances are better in immigrating to one of the big Russian cities.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:25 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Chances are pretty slim. You do not have a critical skill and your position could be filled with local talent.

If you are part of the EU, your best bet is to find a job in the EU with a company that also operates in the US. Either that, or bring over enough money to start your own business.
Look at his location. Kyrgyzstan is nowhere near the EU, it borders western China

Old 06-24-2013, 12:30 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Look at his location. Kyrgyzstan is nowhere near the EU, it borders western China

Just because it is written doesn't make it true.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:35 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
I hope not (and no offense). I can do those skills and so can many Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search