U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-24-2013, 09:08 PM
 
14 posts, read 95,264 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
Never put your life on hold waiting an informal job offer to be "formalized." Job A could also be stalling YOU! They might have an offer out to someone else and be waiting for he/she to respond yes or no before giving YOU the "formal offer." I've seen it.

Take Job B. Seriously think about the slow response of the people at Job A. That would give me great pause for concern.

Best of luck & Congratulations!
Thank you! And what are some signs to look out for when an org may be stalling you? I mean, they told me flat out that I'm their top choice, that they want me and that it's basically a done deal. And they've been mostly responsive and seemingly honest. Is it unethical to act this way, but to actually have offered the job to someone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2013, 10:23 PM
 
2,839 posts, read 4,988,233 times
Reputation: 3702
Accept job B, make your start date as late as possible, and even IF the other job calls and you accept it, you can always resign. Jobs are pretty much at-will nowadays, you are under no obligation to stay.

If you get the other job and a START date, then put in your notice, let your boss know it's nothing personal, but that the other job is a better fit for you. Thank them, and go to the other job.

We have a girl right now who started abotu 2 months ago, she commutes over an hour ONE way to work, and told me she spends $20 a DAY on gas. When she got this job, she turned down another job interivew IN HER AREA, a job where she knew someone who said they would get her the job. It was full time, benefits, etc. This job she's at now with my company? She's a TEMP, no benefits, and no chance of a change in status in site for many years to come. When I asked her why she turned down the interview she said she thought she couldn't leave. I was like hun you can leave at ANY TIME! No one can point a gun to your head and make you work.

She looked pretty upset when I told her that...

So bottom line, take the job and if the other one calls you and gives an offer letter GO! But don't miss out on this job, you NEVER KNOW what could happen. They might have a hiring freeze all of a sudden and you just turned down a job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2013, 11:38 PM
 
195 posts, read 269,181 times
Reputation: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Bird in the hand, and all that.

Take the job offer you have, unless you're prepared to be out of work if (when) job A doesn't pan out.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2013, 06:46 AM
 
15,353 posts, read 17,603,354 times
Reputation: 13483
even if the slow job approves you, they can have sudden budget cuts/hiring freezes and your job could be put "on hold" for months. It could fall through the cracks and never get filled.

Take the offer with Job B.

IF job A works out, then resign from Job B if you already started.

I would not resign from another position until I actually started my first day of work at Job A. Things can fall through quickly. Even if they want you on the team and you are the top choice. There are many things that are out of the control of the team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2013, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,581 posts, read 11,070,781 times
Reputation: 10292
Just if it isn't clear by what everyone is saying...

Right now you have ONE job offer, and job A is smoke. It's nothing. Promises on the wind. They can change their mind, change the scope, change the job, or just do nothing. You can be their top candidate, best buddy, super duper first choice, a #1, but you still have no offer. If it's not in writing, it doesn't count. Period.

Take job B. If A materializes and you like it better, go do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2013, 10:41 AM
 
5,911 posts, read 6,711,111 times
Reputation: 15253
You did the correct thing, notifying job A that you had been made a competitive offer by another firm and that if A wanted you they needed to move pronto.

They have chosen NOT to move. I don't buy all the BS about delays and admin and 'formalities'. If I need to hire someone NOW I take the papers, go down the hall, get them signed, run it through HR and contact the candidate with a formal offer. I don't fart around for days knowing that MY candidate is going to take another job if I don't get the hustle on.

There is no A job. They made their choice clear by not responding to your sincere message that you have been bid away and will accept that position if A doesn't move quickly. A didn't move. Accept B and don't look back.

I am old fashioned, so I wouldn't leave B in a week or two to accept an offer from A. But that is just me, and it limited my career for sure. You do as your moral compass permits. In today's world, employees don't give a second thought to resigning from a job before they even start.

Good luck. Today is THE day...Wednesday. I hope it works out as you wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2013, 11:22 AM
 
Location: In the city
1,581 posts, read 3,282,214 times
Reputation: 2357
OP, you seem to have your heart set on Job A, but here is the thng-- universities get positions cut all the time. Nepotism is often rampant. You may truly want Job A, but you don't HAVE it yet, no matter how optimistic you might be.

Take Job B. If Job A comes in after, go for it. But dollars to donuts they are going to slow roll your start date just like your offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2013, 11:43 AM
 
2,367 posts, read 1,192,339 times
Reputation: 2381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
You did the correct thing, notifying job A that you had been made a competitive offer by another firm and that if A wanted you they needed to move pronto.

They have chosen NOT to move. I don't buy all the BS about delays and admin and 'formalities'. If I need to hire someone NOW I take the papers, go down the hall, get them signed, run it through HR and contact the candidate with a formal offer. I don't fart around for days knowing that MY candidate is going to take another job if I don't get the hustle on.

There is no A job. They made their choice clear by not responding to your sincere message that you have been bid away and will accept that position if A doesn't move quickly. A didn't move. Accept B and don't look back.

I am old fashioned, so I wouldn't leave B in a week or two to accept an offer from A. But that is just me, and it limited my career for sure. You do as your moral compass permits. In today's world, employees don't give a second thought to resigning from a job before they even start.

Good luck. Today is THE day...Wednesday. I hope it works out as you wish.
Absolutely. I had an interview in a huge corporation with huge HR department, mandatory processes,
meetings etc. The hiring manager liked me, and in the next day I got an official offer.
And still, even with a written offer I don't considered myself "I have a job!" until I'm in the office and they assigning me a cubicle with a computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2013, 11:54 AM
 
14 posts, read 95,264 times
Reputation: 19
Thanks everyone for the advice and I really appreciate the honesty and frankness! Here are the latest developments and I hope you guys can continue to be frank and honest with me. I'm a recent grad and this is my first time navigating the job market and so this is all very new and very, very stressful.

Job A has been keeping in contact via email and has been very responsive to me. The director said that her HR contact has told her that it's unlikely that the university will be able to get an answer to her before the end of the week. I want to stress that this is a university, not a for-profit firm or company. And I have been assured by multiple people that universities do indeed take a long time in responding. Anyways, she has asked that I try to get an extension from the other job because I am her top choice and they would be "crushed" if they couldn't get me the green light in time.

Then, another person I interviewed with (she is a director of a program at the org) emailed me from abroad, where she is doing research, stressing that I am absolutely their top choice and that they would hate to miss out working with me. Both of them have also stressed that this job will not disappear because I'm someone they absolutely need for the org to function, and their budget for next year has already been approved.

If I were getting played, why would they be SO responsive and keep stressing I'm their top choice? A colleague of mine who works at a university says that she didn't hear anything from the university when they were pursuing another candidate and it was only after that candidate declined that she was contacted by them. I'm inclined to say that they're being genuine and honest with me, but I'm not sure.

Also, I can't stall job B too much longer, as they want me to start July 1. And I don't want to start Job B and then quit. I know a lot of people don't have a problem with that, but it's a moral compass thing for me. It would completely derail Job B's work and make their lives much more difficult. Plus, I would burn all bridges there, which I really don't want to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2013, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,581 posts, read 11,070,781 times
Reputation: 10292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlemiss1 View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice and I really appreciate the honesty and frankness! Here are the latest developments and I hope you guys can continue to be frank and honest with me. I'm a recent grad and this is my first time navigating the job market and so this is all very new and very, very stressful.

Job A has been keeping in contact via email and has been very responsive to me. The director said that her HR contact has told her that it's unlikely that the university will be able to get an answer to her before the end of the week. I want to stress that this is a university, not a for-profit firm or company. And I have been assured by multiple people that universities do indeed take a long time in responding. Anyways, she has asked that I try to get an extension from the other job because I am her top choice and they would be "crushed" if they couldn't get me the green light in time.

Then, another person I interviewed with (she is a director of a program at the org) emailed me from abroad, where she is doing research, stressing that I am absolutely their top choice and that they would hate to miss out working with me. Both of them have also stressed that this job will not disappear because I'm someone they absolutely need for the org to function, and their budget for next year has already been approved.

If I were getting played, why would they be SO responsive and keep stressing I'm their top choice? A colleague of mine who works at a university says that she didn't hear anything from the university when they were pursuing another candidate and it was only after that candidate declined that she was contacted by them. I'm inclined to say that they're being genuine and honest with me, but I'm not sure.

Also, I can't stall job B too much longer, as they want me to start July 1.
Tell them to give you a job offer in writing.

TAKE JOB B!

Take the existing job, and once the university gets their poop in a group, you can move if you so desire. As of right now, you have nothing but feelings, not a job.

TAKE JOB B.

Have you noticed a trend in the responses?

TAKE JOB B.

But if you decide to slow roll B, and they move with someone else, and then A doesn't pan out, don't say we didn't warn you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top