U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 11:28 AM

14 posts, read 95,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I tell ya, job B must be a horrible ass job to not want it this badly.
It's not that exactly. Job A is the dream job. Job B is just a job. Job A is 35% administrative, 30% programmatic, and 35% research on issues I care deeply about. Job B is 90% administrative, 5% research, 5% programmatic. Both are at nonprofits that work on human rights and civil liberties, but Job A does way cooler and more innovative work with top notch professors and research.

Job A is the reason why I did everything I did for the past four years - which includes 5 internships (2 of which were paid), volunteering and extracurriculars, scholars groups at the top university I attended (not ivy but right under), 20 hours work/week to help pay for that college, and all the late nights at the library so that I could graduate with a high GPA.

Maybe I'm about to learn a hard lesson. Maybe I'm about to get my dream job. Who knows. I will say that I have a pretty high success rate in the job market (not to brag, sorry, judge for yourself). About 25% rate for interviews from applications (mostly online from idealist), and of those interviews, I've had four offers (if we count these two - yes, I know many of you will say Job A is not an offer yet, but I'll count it). If I wanted to just settle on a job, any job, I could've done that two weeks ago. If I'd just taken the first offer I got, I'd be working a temp full time position with only the possibility of going permanent. If I took the second offer, I'd be working in Rochester, NY, which is not my top choice location, especially 'cause I have family concerns.

Maybe I'll get totally screwed by Job A. But I don't doubt that my credentials are good enough to get me another offer. But I just found out that I've advanced forward in another job application process at another nonprofit. Not sure if I'd take it over Job A, but definitely over Job B. Plus, I have been accepted to teach English in France next year, so I do have a back up plan. If there's any time to reach for the dream job, it's now when I have financial leeway.

Anyways, got an extension on Job B till tomorrow morning. Speaking with the director of Job A later today. If they can't offer me a soundly written contract with at least a year guarantee with the "contractor" position if university approval fall through, I'll take Job B.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 11:56 AM

799 posts, read 1,321,919 times
Oh my.

Pride goeth before the fall as they say.

Let me break this down for you:

1.You are young in both experience and age.
2.You are full of yourself.
3. You have no idea how even the nicest sounding org can screw someone who so badly wants to work there they will put up with lots of BS.
4. Five internships are not 5 years or work experience.
5. There are TONS of other people out there who are looking for a job just like you.
6. Jobs as described during an interview seldom end up being EXACTLY the job you do.
7. You don't even have enough time out of school to understand what a "dream job" is-- most orgs don't hand them out to those who just got out of school.

Good luck. You seem to know everything "lilmiss" so I won't give any more guidance. You won't listen anyway. I would be interested to chat with you in five years to hear how your perspective has changed.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:57 AM

5,510 posts, read 6,157,203 times
I will say, my prior advice, as well as that of most of the others I suspect, was predicated on two things:

1. You're not currently working

2. The jobs were comparable, but you preferred A over B.

I'm not sure supposition 1 is accurate. I'm also, after your last post, not convinced that Job B is a good fit for you. I was recently briefly unemployed and turned down the first offer I received because of location concerns (it would have required relocation to another state we had no interest in moving to). That was risky, but the right decision. I was very fortunate in that within days I received another offer that I was thrilled to accept, and my response rate for other positions was pretty good as well. While I would have originally advised you not to take the contract position over the permanent offer, your explanation, as well as some thoughtful recollection of my own recent experience, makes me now think the situation is a little less cut-and-dry. Considering your situation, perhaps you need to take a risk to secure your "dream job." You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. I think you've also received a lot of good advice here. It is now up to you to make the decision that is best for you. But I think you know that already. Once again I wish you luck, and I do hope that you will let us know how it turns out.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:05 PM

5,510 posts, read 6,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Oh my.

3. You have no idea how even the nicest sounding org can screw someone who so badly wants to work there they will put up with lots of BS.
5. There are TONS of other people out there who are looking for a job just like you.
6. Jobs as described during an interview seldom end up being EXACTLY the job you do.
7. You don't even have enough time out of school to understand what a "dream job" is-- most orgs don't hand them out to those who just got out of school.

Good luck. You seem to know everything "lilmiss" so I won't give any more guidance. You won't listen anyway. I would be interested to chat with you in five years to hear how your perspective has changed.
I agree with all your points except #2. I don't think she's not listening, I think she's truly got a tougher decision than we originally thought. Cut her a little slack. Whatever decision she makes will be the one she thinks is best for her situation. Hopefully it will work out for the best.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:08 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,291,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlemiss1;30202157[B
]It's not that exactly. Job A is the dream job. Job B is just a job. Job A is 35% administrative, 30% programmatic, and 35% research on issues I care deeply about. Job B is 90% administrative, 5% research, 5% programmatic. Both are at nonprofits that work on human rights and civil liberties, but Job A does way cooler and more innovative work with top notch professors and research.[/b]

Job A is the reason why I did everything I did for the past four years - which includes 5 internships (2 of which were paid), volunteering and extracurriculars, scholars groups at the top university I attended (not ivy but right under), 20 hours work/week to help pay for that college, and all the late nights at the library so that I could graduate with a high GPA.

Maybe I'm about to learn a hard lesson. Maybe I'm about to get my dream job. Who knows. I will say that I have a pretty high success rate in the job market (not to brag, sorry, judge for yourself). About 25% rate for interviews from applications (mostly online from idealist), and of those interviews, I've had four offers (if we count these two - yes, I know many of you will say Job A is not an offer yet, but I'll count it). If I wanted to just settle on a job, any job, I could've done that two weeks ago. If I'd just taken the first offer I got, I'd be working a temp full time position with only the possibility of going permanent. If I took the second offer, I'd be working in Rochester, NY, which is not my top choice location, especially 'cause I have family concerns.

Maybe I'll get totally screwed by Job A. But I don't doubt that my credentials are good enough to get me another offer. But I just found out that I've advanced forward in another job application process at another nonprofit. Not sure if I'd take it over Job A, but definitely over Job B. Plus, I have been accepted to teach English in France next year, so I do have a back up plan. If there's any time to reach for the dream job, it's now when I have financial leeway.

Anyways, got an extension on Job B till tomorrow morning. Speaking with the director of Job A later today. If they can't offer me a soundly written contract with at least a year guarantee with the "contractor" position if university approval fall through, I'll take Job B.

Hmmm.

Again, let me play devil's advocate:

When I recruited, I did my best to describe the job in a "glowing" light. I kept away from more of the unpleasant tasks. My job was to make people want to work in my organization.

I also have experience hiring recent grads for support positions. Again, we talk up the fun parts of the job, not the mindnumbing admin tasks that make up most of the job. This is common.

I don't care how successful you have been at getting people to interview you. You interview well, that's fine and dandy. DREAM JOBS are not handed out like candy. There are dues paying tasks in just about any org. You usually are sold a bill of goods that has partial truth. Sounds like Job B may be more honest than Job A.

And NEVER accept a contract position in lieu of a real honest to goodness employee position. Bad move. You would have been better with that temp to perm offer you turned down.

And if you have "family concerns" why teach English in France? That one has me scratching my head.

You aren't listening. You are determined. Good luck. This will be a learning experience for you, if nothing else.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:12 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,291,554 times
Quote:
Oh my.

I pretty much agree with this.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:14 PM

14 posts, read 95,751 times
Quote:
Oh my.

You know, I have been nice and professional and very courteous. Certainly, everyone on this forum has been telling what I have NOT wanted to hear, but I have appreciated all of the advice and frankness until your post. It was rude and condescending, and I suspect that if this conversation was going on in real life, you would not have spoken this way.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:14 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,463,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlemiss1 View Post

Well, heck, if this means you have enough financial cushion to wait this out then go for it!

Old 06-26-2013, 12:38 PM

799 posts, read 1,321,919 times
Quote:
You know, I have been nice and professional and very courteous. Certainly, everyone on this forum has been telling what I have NOT wanted to hear, but I have appreciated all of the advice and frankness until your post. It was rude and condescending, and I suspect that if this conversation was going on in real life, you would not have spoken this way.

Oh you don't know the half of it! I'd be a lot harsher in person.

I was not being rude nor condescending. I *do* think anyone who brags "think what you want- I am very successful at getting job offers! My response rate is 25%!" on a forum where many are openly lamenting their long term unemployment and inability to find a job out of college comes across as being very full of one's self. And sadly, you refuse to take the advice that you are asking for. I understand that you are excited about an opportunity being dangled in front of you but maybe it wouldn't hurt to listen to those who are all saying the same thing.

Only those who are inexperienced think they know more than the experienced. And only those who are full of themselves reject all advice in favor of their own fantasy POV. Sorry, kiddo.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:31 PM

2,709 posts, read 4,669,031 times
Quote:
If we were in the same room, I'd put it exactly this way: you're about to *********rself. Your ego is writing checks your ability can't handle, and you're not indispensable. Take the sure job.

I used some variation of that phrasing 3 times in May, with graduating students who thought they were all that.

You obviously think you're all that. Good for you. I work with a lot of students like that, and I can tell you: most aren't all that they think they are. Here's some news: you're being rude and condescending back in the above message. She's telling you the truth, and you don't like it. Life's pretty much like that, but you wouldn't know yet. You haven't been anywhere but college, and your 'experience' at internships isn't worth that much yet.

Hope it works out for you with the dream job. If it doesn't, well, life lesson learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or