U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-24-2013, 03:23 PM
 
14 posts, read 95,381 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

Hi all,

I recently posted on this forum about a dilemma and everyone was super helpful, so I thought I'd try again!

I received an informal job offer to a small nonprofit within a university (call it job A) a little less than a week and a half ago. The director told me that I was their top pick and that my candidacy had to just be approved by the university. She said that this was basically a formality since the nonprofit is independently funded. When she told me this, they had already submitted my app for formal approval for about 3 days. In total, the university has been sitting on approval for a little less than two weeks now.

On Friday, I received an official job offer (call this job B) from another nonprofit and then received the offer letter via email on Saturday. This nonprofit has given me till about Wednesday to respond but said sooner is better. Right after I received this offer, I contacted job A to let them know and they were super responsive saying that one more dept (finance) just needed to approve me and then I would get an official offer. Job A was hoping that this would happen today, but as of now, I have not received any word. Job A is definitely my top choice. But, job B is waiting for a response and I feel terrible because they were so welcoming and very efficient and I would definitely not mind working there.

I know that universities do take a loooooonnnng time to approve people. And the director said that she has no doubt that I'll be approved. Based on your experiences, do you think the university will hustle and get me approved by Wed? If not, what should I do? Would it be stupid to turn down the official offer from job B and wait for job A?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2013, 03:31 PM
 
2,376 posts, read 1,195,551 times
Reputation: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlemiss1 View Post
Hi all,

I recently posted on this forum about a dilemma and everyone was super helpful, so I thought I'd try again!

I received an informal job offer to a small nonprofit within a university (call it job A) a little less than a week and a half ago. The director told me that I was their top pick and that my candidacy had to just be approved by the university. She said that this was basically a formality since the nonprofit is independently funded. When she told me this, they had already submitted my app for formal approval for about 3 days. In total, the university has been sitting on approval for a little less than two weeks now.

On Friday, I received an official job offer (call this job B) from another nonprofit and then received the offer letter via email on Saturday. This nonprofit has given me till about Wednesday to respond but said sooner is better. Right after I received this offer, I contacted job A to let them know and they were super responsive saying that one more dept (finance) just needed to approve me and then I would get an official offer. Job A was hoping that this would happen today, but as of now, I have not received any word. Job A is definitely my top choice. But, job B is waiting for a response and I feel terrible because they were so welcoming and very efficient and I would definitely not mind working there.

I know that universities do take a loooooonnnng time to approve people. And the director said that she has no doubt that I'll be approved. Based on your experiences, do you think the university will hustle and get me approved by Wed? If not, what should I do? Would it be stupid to turn down the official offer from job B and wait for job A?

Thanks in advance!
Take both of the offers, wait until the BC cleared on both companies and pick the one you like. Don't feel ashamed. Nobody will be ashamed on their side when they will call you to the manager office and kick you to the street like a dog just to show "Efficiency" to the stockholders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2013, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,595 posts, read 11,082,415 times
Reputation: 10308
Bird in the hand, and all that.

Take the job offer you have, unless you're prepared to be out of work if (when) job A doesn't pan out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2013, 03:35 PM
 
15,370 posts, read 17,625,409 times
Reputation: 13496
what mikeyyc said ^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2013, 03:41 PM
 
2,633 posts, read 5,517,436 times
Reputation: 2871
This one seems like a no brainer. Job B for sure.

If they're this inefficient hiring someone they want - what happens when you need to get approvals down the line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2013, 03:54 PM
 
14 posts, read 95,381 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
This one seems like a no brainer. Job B for sure.

If they're this inefficient hiring someone they want - what happens when you need to get approvals down the line?
Good point. But I spoke with my former colleague/contact at another university and she says that, across the board, universities move very slow. While it's a downside in terms of hiring, they also provide better benefits and have more job security. Job A is a position this place needs to have and they're committed to keeping it. Job B seems to be a growing org, but I don't have as good a grasp on their stability.

Anyways, all logic says to accept Job B if Job A doesn't get approval in time. But Job A has more interesting work and would help me more in my future path/educational goals (possibly with tuition remission). Plus, I clicked a lot better with the staff of Job A. The only thing that gets me nervous is how long this approval process is taking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2013, 04:01 PM
 
Location: On the corner of Grey Street
6,075 posts, read 8,372,651 times
Reputation: 11560
They know you need the official offer - if they don't make it happen by Wednesday then I think I'd go with the for sure job. I worked at a University and I can vouch it takes a long time to get things approved sometimes. Someone may be out on vacation, super busy, who knows. But it would be a shame to give up the job you know you have and then if something happens with the first job you will have to start looking all over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2013, 06:16 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,414,562 times
Reputation: 19654
Can you push the start date out for job B?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2013, 07:37 PM
 
Location: State of Waiting
607 posts, read 763,360 times
Reputation: 1392
Don't over think this, and PLEASE do not worry about accepting a job (Job B) and then having to change your mind when and if Job A comes through, and you want to go work there.

Trust me, if either one of these non profits had to downsize they would not give a care about cutting staff.

Never put your life on hold waiting an informal job offer to be "formalized." Job A could also be stalling YOU! They might have an offer out to someone else and be waiting for he/she to respond yes or no before giving YOU the "formal offer." I've seen it.

Take Job B. Seriously think about the slow response of the people at Job A. That would give me great pause for concern.

Best of luck & Congratulations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2013, 09:04 PM
 
14 posts, read 95,381 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Can you push the start date out for job B?
Sadly, no, Job B wants me to start quite soon so I've got a pretty finite amount of time to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top