Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,924,351 times

Advertisements

I just got a call from a medical group company (marketing position) that I applied to. I was excited to hear from him and then he told me that the salary is tops $47,000!!! Keep in mind that this is pricey Los Angeles and $47,000 doesn't go very far over here. I'm still going through the interview process, but it's really frustrating to hear how little it pays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 12:00 AM

607 posts, read 1,388,328 times
At least he told you upfront before you go through the interview process. This gives you a chance to decide whether or not you want to continue to pursue this job. I wish all employers did this, but unfortunately, most don't. I can't tell you how many interviews I've been on where salary was the last thing they told me. If the salaries were terrible, it always angered me because I had then wasted my time going through the whole interviewing process when if I knew beforehand what the salary was, I would've not wasted so much time. Unfortunately, the rule is that you don't ask about salary upfront. It's always supposed to be the last thing asked in the interview.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:02 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,620,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
At least he told you upfront before you go through the interview process. This gives you a chance to decide whether or not you want to continue to pursue this job. I wish all employers did this, but unfortunately, most don't. I can't tell you how many interviews I've been on where salary was the last thing they told me. If the salaries were terrible, it always angered me because I had then wasted my time going through the whole interviewing process when if I knew beforehand what the salary was, I would've not wasted so much time. Unfortunately, the rule is that you don't ask about salary upfront. It's always supposed to be the last thing asked in the interview.
yeah, i've had a phone interview and 2 in person interviews (which i had to drive 8 hours to) at the place i'm waiting to hear back from now, and salary still hasn't come up. i have a feeling it will be at least adequate, and i do know that the benefits are amazing (100% employer paid medical, etc). but i would really like to know! i guess i will soon if they make me an offer, but geez. why waste everyone's time, yknow?

i would have just asked before the second interview if i hadn't already been planning to be in the area. and some employers are fine with telling you if you ask, but i've also had communication totally cut off for asking (in order to decide whether to spend money and time and time off from work coming out to interview). ridiculous. it's like you're supposed to pretend that you're working just for the joy of it and the money you make has no relevance to your decision.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:15 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,356,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post

^^^This.

And I also wish more employers would be more upfront about this.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:59 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,070,663 times
Ouch!! In LA?? I wish jobs would post the salary range when they post all the other details about the position. It would save all parties a lot of time. I found some jobs that sounded fantastic, but the pay was lower than I willing to accept.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:50 PM

244 posts, read 632,175 times
Happened to me once in 2009. I interviewed to be the General Manager of a Hotel Gift Shop in a high end Hotel in the city. This was a Hotel store that made several million dollars for the hotel and had the potential to do much more. This was in New York City. I had a great first interview and at the end she volunteered the salary range which would be between $40-45k. I was shocked. In NYC? This wasn't a $500k business on Long Island. I passed.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:23 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,396,795 times
I am fortunate in that in sales they usually say upfront, or it's not frowned on to ask. I ask them the range and tell them the min I will consider for base.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:41 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,924,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I am fortunate in that in sales they usually say upfront, or it's not frowned on to ask. I ask them the range and tell them the min I will consider for base.
I interviewed yesterday and found the interviewer to be rather dry and humorless. My heart wasn't really in it, so just basically went for the experience and to milk industry info from him. It's hard to live on $47,000 gross in Los Angeles. An illegal gets better pay than that.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:45 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,396,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I interviewed yesterday and found the interviewer to be rather dry and humorless. My heart wasn't really in it, so just basically went for the experience and to milk industry info from him. It's hard to live on $47,000 gross in Los Angeles. An illegal gets better pay than that.
I agree I grew up in OC, CA.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:00 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,512,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
If you're a single person you can certainly live OK on 47K a year in LA.

And be thankful they told you up front what the pay was. Nowadays salaries seem to be a big mystery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search