Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 07:20 AM

103 posts, read 167,726 times

Advertisements

Ok so some of you have helped me this last week in updating my resume. I have an interview for an IT logistics technician job tomorrow. It is for the city and I have never had an interview with the city so not sure what to expect. Any ideas or tips and questions I can ask to do good on the interview for anyone that was worked for their county/city. Here is a description of the job. Ultimately I want to be on the software side of things but right now all i need is a foot in the door.

Receives, confirms, and records all delivered information technology and telecommunications hardware and software; issues information technology and telecommunications hardware and software; set up and maintain receiving/inventory, product/vendor databases; maintain organized, clean, stockrooms or storage facilities; coordinate/participate in the loading/unloading of information technology materials and equipment onto/off trucks or other vehicles and transport to various locations; assist with hardware and software audit activities and obtaining quotes; prepare information technology and telecommunications for surplus, ensuring all County information has been removed and the necessary documentation has been completed and submitted; ensure information technology and telecommunications hardware and software is secure, and that locks and cameras and alarms are operational and in use; report any discrepancies immediately.Employment Standards:

Education/Experience*- Any combination of education and experience that could likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills and abilities would be:Completion of two years of college coursework in computer science or related field AND one (1) year as a County of Tulare IT Logistics Technician I OR two (2) years of experience in information technology or telecommunications equipment stockrooms, warehouses, or storage yards operations.
Knowledge of*– Methods of receiving, storage, and delivery of materials; methods of material handling and safe driving practices; types and uses of information technology and telecommunication equipment.

Skill/Ability to*– Provides excellent customer service; establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, other County personnel, and vendors; understand and carry out oral and written instructions and documented procedures. Sit/stand/walk or drive for extended periods; maintain records.
License*–*Must complete all County requirements as a forklift operator within 6 months of hire.Must possess or have the ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver's license.

Additional Information:Other Requirements– This position may work in County law enforcement and detention facilities. Applicants*must*undergo a non sworn law enforcement background investigation and receive security clearance from the Tulare County Sheriff’s Department and maintain that clearance for the duration of employment.DESIREABLE

QUALIFICATIONSKnowledge of*– Microsoft Office Suite

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 07:35 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
i don't know much about your specific job, but these are general questions i ask at interviews that are pretty universally well-received (i often get "wow, that's a great question!)

- how would you describe the organization's culture/your management style? are there work or personality styles that fit in particularly well here?
- how would my performance be measured in this role?
- what would you expect the person in this role to accomplish in their first year?
- is there anyone who had this job in the past who did a particularly great job? what set them apart?
- what is your timeline for the hiring process/what are the next steps?

other than that, just listen to what they're telling you in the interview and make a mental note (or an actual note) of any questions about the specific work that you can ask.

i went through a testing and interview process with a city government once, the only real difference i noticed between that and the nonprofit/private sector is that it was super bureaucratic. the interviewer may have a list of questions that they can't deviate from, but a lot still depends on the individual interviewer and what their style is.

good luck with your interview!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search