U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 09:59 PM

589 posts, read 537,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Perhaps yours would, our corp has hired 3 people this year alone who previously applied for, interviewed for, but were not hired for other positions. They impressed us despite not being the candidate hired than, so today, we employ them.

My godson just started with one of the nation's largest private corps, same scenario..not hired for the spot they initially interviewed him for, but recommended to another division based on the great impression he had made in that round of interviews.

Again I do not doubt you'd end up in the recycle bin. Not all of us, though.
Oh lord, he brought out the anecdotal evidence. I concede.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 10:02 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,082,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
Oh lord, he brought out the anecdotal evidence. I concede.
You should. Corps hire second tries far more than most realize.

All this candidate accomplished was showing herself to be a classless jerk, unworthy of future consideration.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i can't think of a way to respond to a form rejection like that without coming across as either desperate, delusional, or bitter and angry..
I'd question if the applicant is mentally stable. Suitable for hire-no doubt, no, no, never, ever, ever.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:11 PM

9,010 posts, read 8,433,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
You should. Corps hire second tries far more than most realize.

All this candidate accomplished was showing herself to be a classless jerk, unworthy of future consideration.
Except when they don't. We only consider applicants who have applied for a specific job. If they are not hired, they are not considered for alternate positions unless they apply.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Except when they don't. We only consider applicants who have applied for a specific job. If they are not hired, they are not considered for alternate positions unless they apply.
Our second tries formally applied in 2 cases-in the third one, the first hiring manager emailed the candidate suggesting he try for this second one. In all 3 cases, the recommendations of the people involved in the first process was the key factor in why they were hired the 2nd time.

All were fine candidates who simply were less than perfect fits for the initial position they applied for.
Had any of the 3 hassled us over not being the one hired the first time, we'd never have considered them again..for any position.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:50 PM

4,399 posts, read 9,067,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
jdm2008 and bobtn, you can be as snarky as you like but sending a follow up to a rejection letter is not obnoxious or negative when the alternative is your resume completely going to the trashbin. Or as they like to call it, "being kept on record for future openings." Ha.

Her followup made him (the actual hiring manager) personally view her resume. That in itself gives a jobseeker a much higher chance of being picked up if they don't have the exact qualifications our wonderful computer screening systems are looking for.
Followuping is not obnoxious in of it itself. Demanding to know the details of how HR screens is obnoxious and certainly did not increase her chances of getting hired. Didn't you read the response from the OP that said she would not be considered for employment at said company.
If she was smart she could have just asked that he take a second look because of whatever and included her resume and cover letter. She would probably not have gotten herself disqualified from all future opportunities, as she has.

Last edited by jdm2008; 07-05-2013 at 02:34 PM..

Old 07-05-2013, 02:41 PM

799 posts, read 1,319,461 times
Still not understanding the basic premise of why a job applicant thinks he/she is owed ANY explanation of why they were not selected.

Applying for a position is COMPETITIVE. That means its has, by its nature, someone who prevails and "wins" the competition, and lots of others who competed but failed. This is NORMAL and there is absolutely nothing personal in it. Companies have the ability to choose who they want, set the bar where they want it and inform that candidate. Anything else is merely a courtesy and should not be treated as an entitlement. This is how it works, like it or not.

Sometimes we do consider outstanding applicants for other positions if they are not a fit on the first try. But I will tell you right now-- anyone who comes in demanding to know why they were passed over and asking that we reconstruct our methods for disqualifying them has automatically shown themselves to be unfamiliar with the basic tenets of competitive employment. Therefore, this person will very likely complain every time they are not feeling favored with their boss's undivided attention, the promotion they want, etc. That alone is enough to make me sure we did the right thing by passing on her.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:11 PM

371 posts, read 621,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Still not understanding the basic premise of why a job applicant thinks he/she is owed ANY explanation of why they were not selected.
I don't know what more we can tell you.

We can agree that you don't owe an applicant any explanation of why they weren't selected. Unfortunately, if you were accurate in your original post.....................

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
.......Today I got an email from someone I never heard of (how they found me I am still investigating) disputing the form letter HR sent them last week saying that they didn't have the qualifications we were looking for. This woman sent me a very vehement email saying she wanted "specific details of the process and factors that prevented (her) resume from being referred (to me)" and that "I DISAGREE with the statement in the email sent to me that I am not qualified for your position. My goal is to secure an interview with your company."...........?
...............you gave them feedback and specifically said that they didn't have the qualifications you were looking for. If that is true, it potentially opens the door to be challenged on it. I doubt it will ever get anywhere, but basically you told her she was DQ'd because she doesn't have skills she thinks she has.

Instead of being bothered by this and the inevitable like situations that will happen in the future if you do nothing with your process you can:
A) Stop giving feedback at all (it doesn't seem to be helpful anyway)
B) Modify the message to make it more generic like I have previously suggested.
C) Figure out how this person got your information and plug that leak in your process if there is one.

I don't see people disagreeing with you. What I have tried to do with my posts is:
1) Speculate on the other side of the equation, not for justification, just for empathy
2) Provide you a nickel's worth of free advice on how to handle the current situation
3) Provide you a nickel's worth of free advice on how to prevent a similar situation in the future.

Have a good one.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:54 PM

9,010 posts, read 8,433,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post

...............you gave them feedback and specifically said that they didn't have the qualifications you were looking for. If that is true, it potentially opens the door to be challenged on it. I doubt it will ever get anywhere, but basically you told her she was DQ'd because she doesn't have skills she thinks she has.
There is no way that this is actionable. Any reasonable person understands that the rejection is a form letter, and that the real implication is that others met the qualifications better than the jilted applicant.

Add the complainers email address to your junk file and move on.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:10 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,513,899 times
i'd say she's desperate for the job and I'd give her an ''E'' for effort.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or