U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 10:55 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,772,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Has anyone had this happen?

We had a job open. HR sent us a group of pre-screened resumes. We interviewed and made our pick. The candidate is excellent.

Today I got an email from someone I never heard of (how they found me I am still investigating) disputing the form letter HR sent them last week saying that they didn't have the qualifications we were looking for. This woman sent me a very vehement email saying she wanted "specific details of the process and factors that prevented (her) resume from being referred (to me)" and that "I DISAGREE with the statement in the email sent to me that I am not qualified for your position. My goal is to secure an interview with your company."

I asked for her resume and took a look but she is missing 2 out of the 5 things we stated we were looking for. I am floored by the gall of this woman. We had over 100 applicants for this job. I had a 18 excellent resumes forwarded to me. This woman would not have made that cut if I or anyone on our team were looking at her credentials. She just doesn't have it.

Has anyone ever behaved in this way? I have no intention of interviewing this person and frankly if I see her name again, I will put her application in the trash. How on earth could anyone think these sorts of rude demands could lead to a job?
I pity the poor fools who actually hire this woman! If that's what she's like when she's trying to impress you, imagine what she's like on all the other days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 10:57 AM

8,602 posts, read 11,093,754 times
I don't get people. Life is not an online Forum (no offense) where you can bully your way through stuff.

If the rejected person had gone to the OP in a constructive format, "I know I was passed over, if you have the time could you please let me know specifically what I need to work on to be a successful candidate in the future, blah, blah" they may have gotten the feedback, and possibly even a potential ally in their job search. As the OP is clearly connected, and a positive impression does wonders.

Now the searcher has actually poisoned that well, and if the OP hears the name again, they'll be hit with the "Oh, that's that crazy one..." story.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:08 AM

2,946 posts, read 4,879,965 times
She may be trying to build a case for discrimination in some way. She wants proof from you that her qualifications are not good enough. She wants you to put in writing what it is, exactly, that makes her unqualified. If she can prove that she meets all of the qualifications listed and still didn`t get an interview, she may be thinking of some sort of legal action. But, as you say, she doesn`t meet the listed qualifications then she wouldn`t have a case. Unfortunately, there are people like that in the world. Always trying to prove some sort of discrimination when they don`t get what they want or are fired for their behavior.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:20 AM

799 posts, read 1,319,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
She may be trying to build a case for discrimination in some way. She wants proof from you that her qualifications are not good enough. She wants you to put in writing what it is, exactly, that makes her unqualified. If she can prove that she meets all of the qualifications listed and still didn`t get an interview, she may be thinking of some sort of legal action. But, as you say, she doesn`t meet the listed qualifications then she wouldn`t have a case. Unfortunately, there are people like that in the world. Always trying to prove some sort of discrimination when they don`t get what they want or are fired for their behavior.

I thought about this and have referred her email back to HR. We think that she knows someone who does freelance work for us and that is how she got my info. My name was never put on anything that was advertised. I am allowing our HR team to respond. Its clear she doesn't have all of the skills we listed in the announcement and her resume is a mess in terms of formatting and spelling. I am not touching this one.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:24 AM

3,881 posts, read 7,312,942 times
Entitlement issues.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:41 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,353,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
This was in an email. I did not respond.

Oh ok, I was thinking you were on the phone and wondering why you wasn't like."this conversation is over"

lol

Old 06-26-2013, 12:03 PM

17,004 posts, read 20,701,668 times
Quote:
I was going to say this. The fact that she asked in an email why she wasn't qualified sounds suspect. She wanted the OP to respond so she had it in writing. OP was smart to not respond and turn it over to HR.

A few weeks ago a teenage boy in FL decided on the last day of school to wear make up and he was sent home, his parents are a lesbian couple. I thought how odd for him to "stir the pot" on the last day of school, the parents made a big issue out of it and of course let it be known they were a lesbian couple.

My first thoughts were are they behind in their mortgage.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:43 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,500,597 times
Reminds me of the American Idol contestants who sing like a tired, mentally challenged Basset Hound in their audition then refuse to leave the room because they think they are the greatest singer ever.

Pretty good chance she is setting up a discrimination complaint.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:27 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,975,374 times
This happens all the time in my world, we just handle it in a professional and routine manner. As earlier posters said, go ahead and tell or email her with a statement that would hold up in court. In this case it would be easy, she wasn't close to qualification.

People like this usually aren't motivated by entitlement, but by either: a) aggression/pro-activeness, or b) ignorance... they fail to realize what the qual requirements are and how competitve the position is (they're always shocked and dismayed when you tell them 200 other people applied.)

Old 06-26-2013, 01:43 PM

5,510 posts, read 6,141,367 times
Quote:
This was my first thought as well. Referring the email back to HR was likely the best move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or