U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 04:08 PM

10,078 posts, read 14,049,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I don't take it personally. People who are desparate, misguided, socially inept or simply too aggressive occasionally contact me after being rejected.

I take simple effective steps to eliminate future contact and move on. There is nothing personal in my decision and I do not have a personal stake in having been contacted.

Yes, it is easier to take from the position of a HM than an applicant, but the theory holds. For what it is worth, I try really hard to never be rude to any applicant. I am guilty of not responding to every applicant who applies to temp positions I post on Craigslist, but other than that I do try to notify people in a timely and professional manner.
I wasn't singling you out, I actually appreciate yours and Hemlock's post they add value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 04:26 PM

9,023 posts, read 8,443,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I wasn't singling you out, I actually appreciate yours and Hemlock's post they add value.
Thank you.

I wasn't really worried about being called out, but in the interest of being thorough felt that I should address the rudeness issue.

I realize that some HM are rude. So are some applicants. People in general are sometimes rude, but I personally feel that it is generally improper and should be minimized. In a situation where you are very literally deciding on a persons future, you have a moral obligation to be particularly careful in how you deal with them.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:04 AM

7,238 posts, read 10,910,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
If the rejected person had gone to the OP in a constructive format, "I know I was passed over, if you have the time could you please let me know specifically what I need to work on to be a successful candidate in the future, blah, blah" they may have gotten the feedback, and possibly even a potential ally in their job search.
I doubt it.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Can I ask you an honest question? Not you specifically, but most HM like yourself on this board, tell us not take it personally when we are treated rudely by HM and yet you seem to take this quite personal
Double standards of course.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:11 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,821,743 times
I would have simply forwarded the note to HR. I'm pretty sure this person would not get a response and would not be invited back for any type of interview ever.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:23 AM

371 posts, read 621,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Has anyone had this happen?

We had a job open. HR sent us a group of pre-screened resumes. We interviewed and made our pick. The candidate is excellent.

Today I got an email from someone I never heard of (how they found me I am still investigating) disputing the form letter HR sent them last week saying that they didn't have the qualifications we were looking for. This woman sent me a very vehement email saying she wanted "specific details of the process and factors that prevented (her) resume from being referred (to me)" and that "I DISAGREE with the statement in the email sent to me that I am not qualified for your position. My goal is to secure an interview with your company."

I asked for her resume and took a look but she is missing 2 out of the 5 things we stated we were looking for. I am floored by the gall of this woman. We had over 100 applicants for this job. I had a 18 excellent resumes forwarded to me. This woman would not have made that cut if I or anyone on our team were looking at her credentials. She just doesn't have it.

Has anyone ever behaved in this way? I have no intention of interviewing this person and frankly if I see her name again, I will put her application in the trash. How on earth could anyone think these sorts of rude demands could lead to a job?
I didn't go through the entire thread of responses so this may have already been covered, but you do not want to respond to this candidate directly. You have a recruiting and HR function to handle this. You want to make sure this information gets forwarded to them for their files, and perhaps they will take the initiative to better word the template response.

I empathize with both you and the woman in your story. From her point of view (and the point of view of all rejected applicants), there is no feedback as to why we they are rejected, and many people in this economy receive the template several times every single day and they are left wondering why they were not even selected for a phone call. It is a frustrating cycle. Think about it, you gave us more information in a short post on a message board than this person will ever receive. I've been on both ends of this type of exchange. It's no fun for anybody.

But seriously, you do need to alert your HR to what has been done. It is imperative that you cover yourself and your company. You should not be responding to this person directly AT ALL in regards to this position.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:45 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,730,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post
I empathize with both you and the woman in your story. From her point of view (and the point of view of all rejected applicants), there is no feedback as to why we they are rejected, and many people in this economy receive the template several times every single day and they are left wondering why they were not even selected for a phone call. It is a frustrating cycle. Think about it, you gave us more information in a short post on a message board than this person will ever receive. I've been on both ends of this type of exchange. It's no fun for anybody.
i think it's great that you can have empathy for the woman, and i think this is a perfect example of why the "if you get rejected, it's a problem with YOU" attitude can be harmful. certainly people should always be looking for ways to improve as candidates, and in this case the candidate had a clear-cut reason why she wasn't selected. but it's also a fact that the numbers are against you, and qualified people do get rejected without even a phone screen, let alone later in the process. accepting that can make rejection easier to take, and lessen the chances of the frustration building up til you lose it and freak out on a hiring manager, which is never a good idea.

like, i'm a finalist for a job right now, and i'm waiting to hear back from them. i know they really like me, all of my references have said they sound really interested in me. i feel like my chances are good. but i don't know who my competition is. if i get rejected, i'll be upset, and i'll evaluate myself and maybe ask for feedback (realizing i may not get it) to see if there was anything i could have done differently. but in the end i'll do my best to not take it personally. i know i'm a great candidate for this position. but that doesn't mean there isn't someone else just as good or better out there.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:33 AM

7,288 posts, read 13,521,159 times
You might not believe it, but some companies have an adversarial culture and they attract people of that nature. Your company might not be one of them, but they'll make a gem of an employee for some other place. Some hiring managers don't even bother with people who play by the more usual rules.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:38 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,730,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
You might not believe it, but some companies have an adversarial culture and they attract people of that nature. Your company might not be one of them, but they'll make a gem of an employee for some other place. Some hiring managers don't even bother with people who play by the more usual rules.
ugh, i wouldn't want to work at a place like that! which i guess works out since i'm sure a place like that wouldn't hire me. i don't need any cut-throat machiavellian crap in my life, if i can avoid it.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Good point.

When you interject the human aspect of it all (the fact that everyone is different), essentially job applicants can't win for losing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or