U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 11:11 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,681,103 times

Advertisements

[quote=whatisthedealwith;30201991]My name was never put on anything that was advertised.quote]

When I know of a position I really want, whether it is online or not, I make it my business to find out about the company, search LinkedIn for anyone in the company either already in my connections or in HR, and once I find out what the suffix of their email is, I will Google that until I hit a couple people's email addresses. It's not that hard.

But I don't badger them, I simply write a compelling cover letter stating what I bring to the table and why they can't do without me, how much money I will save them, along with my references. I don't email again.

She sounds like Trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 11:22 AM

8,929 posts, read 8,390,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Good point.

When you interject the human aspect of it all (the fact that everyone is different), essentially job applicants can't win for losing.
That is the glass is half empty viewpoint.

On a more positive note, half of all applicants eliminate themselves because their attitudes are incompatible with a company's culture. If you are compatible, your competition has been cut in half.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:37 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,889,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Perhaps the way you see it, but it's still the truth.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:57 PM

15,726 posts, read 26,753,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Has anyone had this happen?

I asked for her resume and took a look but she is missing 2 out of the 5 things we stated we were looking for.
That would have eliminated it for me. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. To make everything fair if we require 5 items like you did and anyone that applies is missing any of the 5 items, we don't even look at them. Case closed.

Since she is persistant, I would ask her about the missing things that you required. State that her resume did not include the information and ask her to produce it. I would do this just for fun at this point, since you are not going to hire her anyway. When she tells you she doesn't have them then you can tell her that is why she was not considered.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:09 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,482,089 times
I was talking to a friend recently who is hiring. She sent rejection letters out to a number of interviewees. A couple of days later the wife of one of the applicants came to my friend's office unannounced and proceeded to beg, plead, cry and list all the reasons her husband should be given the job. The applicant's wife also said she was sure my friend would do this for their spouse and when my friend inquired if the applicant was aware their spouse had come there to beg she was told "Yes, of course!"

The rejection letter stands.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:13 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,706,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I was talking to a friend recently who is hiring. She sent rejection letters out to a number of interviewees. A couple of days later the wife of one of the applicants came to my friend's office unannounced and proceeded to beg, plead, cry and list all the reasons her husband should be given the job. The applicant's wife also said she was sure my friend would do this for their spouse and when my friend inquired if the applicant was aware their spouse had come there to beg she was told "Yes, of course!"

The rejection letter stands.
man, it's bad enough to do that yourself, but having your spouse do it? that's just bizarre.

there are some good stories about this kind of thing here (both in the blog posts and in the comments):

job rejections and vitriol
job rejections and vitriol, part 2

Old 06-28-2013, 01:30 PM

17,000 posts, read 20,661,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post
I didn't go through the entire thread of responses so this may have already been covered, but you do not want to respond to this candidate directly. You have a recruiting and HR function to handle this. You want to make sure this information gets forwarded to them for their files, and perhaps they will take the initiative to better word the template response.

I empathize with both you and the woman in your story. From her point of view (and the point of view of all rejected applicants), there is no feedback as to why we they are rejected, and many people in this economy receive the template several times every single day and they are left wondering why they were not even selected for a phone call. It is a frustrating cycle. Think about it, you gave us more information in a short post on a message board than this person will ever receive. I've been on both ends of this type of exchange. It's no fun for anybody.

But seriously, you do need to alert your HR to what has been done. It is imperative that you cover yourself and your company. You should not be responding to this person directly AT ALL in regards to this position.

Why have empathy for the woman? She didn't get selected for an interview, she didn't put the time and energy into the interview and than never hear back.

She took a few minutes and emailed her resume and I assume a cover letter, and got a form letter back stating she wasn't what they were looking for. She should be lucky she even heard back from them. That is unheard of these days, that just sending in a resume gets you any feedback.

There are people posting on here who go on 2 and even 3 interviews for a position, and than never hear back. Or travel a long distance and never hear back.

She has no reason to be angry or needs any empathy. She probably spent less than 5 minutes sending off this resume/cover letter.

IMO it sounds like she is looking to file a lawsuit against this company, which is why she contacted the OP by email. She was hoping something in the response would have her running to a lawyer.

If she was that upset she would have called, she was trying to trap them by sending the email. The OP was smart to ignore her and turn it over to HR.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:12 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,606,588 times
Don't get baited into answering her with specific details in an email.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:17 PM

805 posts, read 1,011,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

On a more positive note, half of all applicants eliminate themselves because their attitudes are incompatible with a company's culture. If you are compatible, your competition has been cut in half.
How do you determine if someone's attitude is incompatible with a company's culture?

Old 06-28-2013, 07:36 PM

8,929 posts, read 8,390,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
How do you determine if someone's attitude is incompatible with a company's culture?
Since both attitude and culture are malleable, there is only a fuzzy answer. During an interview you try and determine if the opinions on work:life balance match, are they micromanagers vs your independent thinking, etc.

My earlier point was really to highlight an earlier poster with a defeatist attitude, who looks at everything as if companies are out to get him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or