U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 07:36 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,727,171 times

Advertisements

i'm just saying that when people have the luxury of being choosy, they should be. a bad fit is not good for the employee OR for the employer, and should be avoided by both. i'm not saying that anyone has an infinite capacity to be picky or anything. sheesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 07:44 PM

i mean, for instance, in my last job search i could be choosy because i have a job and i've been looking for a new one. i was looking long distance but with a flexible timeline for moving.

i had an offer a few weeks ago, but the job had issues - there were things i liked a lot about it but it was a contractor job with no benefits, the hours varied with the seasons and summer (when i'd be moving) was the slow time. some people here urged me to just take it because who knew when i'd get another offer. but i ended up turning it down.

well, i just got an offer for a job that pays the same only NOT as a contractor (so really, it's like 1 1/2 to 2 times the pay) and will eventually be full time (right now it's 75% FTE), has amazing benefits, and is a great career move for me with potential for advancement. it's the kind of place i might want to stay for the rest of my career. i'm so glad i didn't just accept the first offer i got, even though it was tempting to just settle.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:48 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,361,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i mean, for instance, in my last job search i could be choosy because i have a job and i've been looking for a new one. i was looking long distance but with a flexible timeline for moving.

i had an offer a few weeks ago, but the job had issues - there were things i liked a lot about it but it was a contractor job with no benefits, the hours varied with the seasons and summer (when i'd be moving) was the slow time. some people here urged me to just take it because who knew when i'd get another offer. but i ended up turning it down.

well, i just got an offer for a job that pays the same only NOT as a contractor (so really, it's like 1 1/2 to 2 times the pay) and will eventually be full time (right now it's 75% FTE), has amazing benefits, and is a great career move for me with potential for advancement. it's the kind of place i might want to stay for the rest of my career. i'm so glad i didn't just accept the first offer i got, even though it was tempting to just settle.

I was picky too and didn't have a job so not only the employed can be picky. It's all about knowing what you want and bring to the table

Old 07-03-2013, 07:51 PM

did i say only the employed can be picky? did you even read the last few posts in this thread?

you have a really hard time distinguishing between "here is 1 example" and "here is the only way things can be".

Old 07-03-2013, 08:51 PM

589 posts, read 538,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The followup in this case insures your resume will be deep-sixed for any future openings at the company. It isn't going to change the present decision, but it will kill your chances off at any future opportunities.

It shows you cannot accept bad news, and are childish.
Haha, that's if you actually believe your resume (which may be 1 of hundreds or thousands) will actually be "kept on file for future positions." Hint: All these resumes are going to the recycle bin and will never be mentioned again, but that would be terrible to put in a rejection letter. That followup was still the best bet for her resume to get a real look-over.

The jobseeker's followup did not seem childish. If you're interviewing with a hiring manager and he says you are unqualified for the position, I can bet you wouldn't say "you're right" and leave. You'd sell yourself and say why you can do the position. That jobseeker shows initiative and will likely have a job real soon.

Do people just like being perverse on here?

Old 07-03-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
Haha, that's if you actually believe your resume (which may be 1 of hundreds or thousands) will actually be "kept on file for future positions." Hint: All these resumes are going to the recycle bin and will never be mentioned again, but that would be terrible to put in a rejection letter. That followup was still the best bet for her resume to get a real look-over.

The jobseeker's followup did not seem childish. If you're interviewing with a hiring manager and he says you are unqualified for the position, I can bet you wouldn't say "you're right" and leave. You'd sell yourself and say why you can do the position. That jobseeker shows initiative and will likely have a job real soon.

Do people just like being perverse on here?
there's a big difference between "showing initiative" and sending what was clearly an angry screed demanding explanations and telling the company they are wrong for rejecting you. most employers really don't want to hire people who flip out like that. maybe there are exceptions. although really, i can't think of a way to respond to a form rejection like that without coming across as either desperate, delusional, or bitter and angry.

and it's pretty obvious to me, at least, that bobtn was talking about future applications being rejected,nothing to do with companies saying they will keep your resume on file. i agree that that rarely actually happens, although i did once have a company get back to me months later about a different position so it's not unheard of.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:04 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,361,358 times
Quote:
did i say only the employed can be picky? did you even read the last few posts in this thread?

you have a really hard time distinguishing between "here is 1 example" and "here is the only way things can be".

The way you posted seemed like you were saying that only people with jobs can be picky when seeking work and I just wanted to point out that is not always the case.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:24 PM

you obviously weren't looking at the context of my post because i JUST said, multiple times, that unemployed people could be choosy about jobs under certain circumstances (such as being on unemployment) and a couple of people were disagreeing with me. i said that the reason that *i* could be picky was because i had a job, i didn't say that was the only possible reason and i'm not sure how you could infer that from what i said.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:32 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,085,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
Haha, that's if you actually believe your resume (which may be 1 of hundreds or thousands) will actually be "kept on file for future positions." Hint: All these resumes are going to the recycle bin and will never be mentioned again
Perhaps yours would, our corp has hired 3 people this year alone who previously applied for, interviewed for, but were not hired for other positions. They impressed us despite not being the candidate hired than, so today, we employ them.

My godson just started with one of the nation's largest private corps, same scenario..not hired for the spot they initially interviewed him for, but recommended to another division based on the great impression he had made in that round of interviews.

Again I do not doubt you'd end up in the recycle bin. Not all of us, though.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:52 PM

589 posts, read 538,167 times
Quote:
although really, i can't think of a way to respond to a form rejection like that without coming across as either desperate, delusional, or bitter and angry.
There's your problem.

Quote:
and it's pretty obvious to me, at least, that bobtn was talking about future applications being rejected,nothing to do with companies saying they will keep your resume on file.
Considering there are numerous companies to choose from, I'd say the risk is well worth it to get any live person to look over your resume. Job requirement inflation and computerized application screenings have left many near-perfect jobseekers unemployed. Jobseekers may not have the perfect background but anyway of getting a real person to read your resume and make an exception is worth the risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or