Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 11:06 AM

799 posts, read 1,544,377 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had this happen?

We had a job open. HR sent us a group of pre-screened resumes. We interviewed and made our pick. The candidate is excellent.

Today I got an email from someone I never heard of (how they found me I am still investigating) disputing the form letter HR sent them last week saying that they didn't have the qualifications we were looking for. This woman sent me a very vehement email saying she wanted "specific details of the process and factors that prevented (her) resume from being referred (to me)" and that "I DISAGREE with the statement in the email sent to me that I am not qualified for your position. My goal is to secure an interview with your company."

I asked for her resume and took a look but she is missing 2 out of the 5 things we stated we were looking for. I am floored by the gall of this woman. We had over 100 applicants for this job. I had a 18 excellent resumes forwarded to me. This woman would not have made that cut if I or anyone on our team were looking at her credentials. She just doesn't have it.

Has anyone ever behaved in this way? I have no intention of interviewing this person and frankly if I see her name again, I will put her application in the trash. How on earth could anyone think these sorts of rude demands could lead to a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 11:12 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,446,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
How on earth could anyone think these sorts of rude demands could lead to a job?
Those are the types of people who often DO make it.

In some ways I admire her. In your case, it might not have worked out, but being aggressive versus passive might open doors. She couldn't care less if you trash her resume. She'll move on to dozens of other employers' requisitions some of which she may be qualified for; Maybe four out of five next time and with her kick down the doors attitude, she might be a great employee depending on what needs to get done. A lot of people might like someone as aggressive as she.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:18 AM

I work in the film industry and the job in question is a highly technical one. EVERYONE wants to break in. I understand being aggressive. But this is rude and demanding, entitled even. What makes her think she is any different than the 80 odd other candidates who were rejected? Why should I take time out of my day to assuage her ego? Research her resume? Reconstruct the hiring process?

Its a tough old world out there. You get more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:21 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,895,202 times
Quote:

We had a job open. HR sent us a group of pre-screened resumes. We interviewed and made our pick. The candidate is excellent.

Today I got an email from someone I never heard of (how they found me I am still investigating) disputing the form letter HR sent them last week saying that they didn't have the qualifications we were looking for. This woman sent me a very vehement email saying she wanted "specific details of the process and factors that prevented (her) resume from being referred (to me)" and that "I DISAGREE with the statement in the email sent to me that I am not qualified for your position. My goal is to secure an interview with your company."

I asked for her resume and took a look but she is missing 2 out of the 5 things we stated we were looking for. I am floored by the gall of this woman.
I'd ignore her, but if she emails again, I'd tel her "You only have 3 of 5 qualifications we are seeking, and that is just 60%. In most schools, they call that a D-below average. Stop wasting our time".

Old 06-26-2013, 11:27 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,007,479 times
I'd ignore it too but if she keeps it up, I'd send something like "We've reviewed your work experience and qualifications and stand by our decision. If there is another job opening you're interested in, please feel free to apply online." and then apply email filter.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:28 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,427,456 times
I kind of admire her moxie. Okay, she may very well know she doesn't have ALL the requirements but she's also determined enough to try and get your attention. In this case it backfired but I'm thinking at some point an interviewer will see her just out of curiosity.

These days, being nice and sweet all the time doesn't get you anywhere.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:31 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,446,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I kind of admire her moxie. Okay, she may very well know she doesn't have ALL the requirements but she's also determined enough to try and get your attention. In this case it backfired but I'm thinking at some point an interviewer will see her just out of curiosity.

These days, being nice and sweet all the time doesn't get you anywhere.
That's kind of what I wrote. I am just playing devil's advocate and I completely understand the original poster's position.

But, in life, there is black and there is white and then there is the gray area. It's those who work the gray area that are often the most successful. (Google "perfectly legal" some day and find out all the "perfectly legal" ways to work the system.)

Old 06-26-2013, 11:35 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,895,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I kind of admire her moxie. Okay, she may very well know she doesn't have ALL the requirements but she's also determined enough to try and get your attention. In this case it backfired but I'm thinking at some point an interviewer will see her just out of curiosity..
Someone might interview her to waste her time, bu that would be the only reason.

Moxie with brains might be a good duo. Moxie without brains is beyond dumb. She is in the latter group.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:38 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,797,374 times
Quote:

I asked for her resume and took a look but she is missing 2 out of the 5 things we stated we were looking for. I am floored by the gall of this woman. We had over 100 applicants for this job. I had a 18 excellent resumes forwarded to me. This woman would not have made that cut if I or anyone on our team were looking at her credentials. She just doesn't have it.

Has anyone ever behaved in this way? I have no intention of interviewing this person and frankly if I see her name again, I will put her application in the trash. How on earth could anyone think these sorts of rude demands could lead to a job?

Why was that conversation that long anyway? It was no point in even discussing why she wasn't selected for a interview.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Why was that conversation that long anyway? It was no point in even discussing why she wasn't selected for a interview.
This was in an email. I did not respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search