U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-27-2013, 07:42 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,361,358 times
Reputation: 9451

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I did not read the 13 pages of this thread.

I am 41 with a computer and internet and plenty of other experience, and I'd wash dishes for 2 reasons:

1. It is most likely to be a job where I could choose a shift that fits with my school schedule as I am a full time student. I need evenings and weekend work. Sure, I qualify for higher paid office work but generally that kind of work is only available 8 to 5 and that does not currently fit my employment needs.

2. I would much rather wash dishes, a relatively "solo" sort of task, than work in the front of a restaurant having to deal with customers! ::shudder:: Last thing I want is to move on to cook, waiter, etc. Yuck. I want a job where I can quietly do my job, focus on the task, and be pretty much left alone. When I worked in places with heavy customer contact and dishes needed washing I always volunteered!

I don't quite get dishwashing jobs requiring a year of experience though.

But you have so many other opportunities with your experience. Dish washing jobs should only be for those who have criminal backgrounds and looking for a 2nd chance or a older person with limited work experience.

 
Old 06-27-2013, 07:44 AM
 
1,102 posts, read 1,572,747 times
Reputation: 1136
take home message = choose pride over paying bills
 
Old 06-27-2013, 07:56 AM
 
17,004 posts, read 20,705,411 times
Reputation: 33994
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
But you have so many other opportunities with your experience. Dish washing jobs should only be for those who have criminal backgrounds and looking for a 2nd chance or a older person with limited work experience.

Did you read Sally Sparrow's comments?

She is a FULL TIME student who can only work nights and weekends, she DOESN'T want to interact with other people and especially mentioned that being a waitress was out, I would imagine store clerk is also of no interest.

The only other position might be a part time janitor that would have the hours she wants and lacks any interaction with people. Or maybe a security guard in an empty building.

It's not about what she is qualified for, being a full time student who can only work limited hours, and not wanting interaction is going to limit her choices.

And she seems to be both aware and fine with that.
 
Old 06-27-2013, 07:58 AM
 
2,091 posts, read 6,269,051 times
Reputation: 2159
Once again op, your "should" has no basis in the reality of other people's lives.
 
Old 06-27-2013, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Texas
1,324 posts, read 1,109,996 times
Reputation: 1837
good point. there are a percent who won't be able to go for the job simply because of the technology.
 
Old 06-27-2013, 08:41 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,361,358 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Did you read Sally Sparrow's comments?

She is a FULL TIME student who can only work nights and weekends, she DOESN'T want to interact with other people and especially mentioned that being a waitress was out, I would imagine store clerk is also of no interest.

The only other position might be a part time janitor that would have the hours she wants and lacks any interaction with people. Or maybe a security guard in an empty building.

It's not about what she is qualified for, being a full time student who can only work limited hours, and not wanting interaction is going to limit her choices.

And she seems to be both aware and fine with that.

So there are no other jobs with little interaction besides dish washing?
 
Old 06-27-2013, 08:43 AM
 
1,102 posts, read 1,572,747 times
Reputation: 1136
 
Old 06-27-2013, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,602 posts, read 11,096,185 times
Reputation: 10316
 
Old 06-27-2013, 09:22 AM
 
1,923 posts, read 2,073,091 times
Reputation: 1818
I told you guys about the experience I had. I filled out the online application, and the next day got an email saying I wasn't being considered for the job as dishwasher. This is a slap in the face to the people who are always saying "such and such is ALWAYS hiring, go fill out an application".

Last edited by parried; 06-27-2013 at 09:30 AM..
 
Old 06-27-2013, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Illinois
827 posts, read 944,688 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I told you guys about the experience I had. I filled out the online application, and the next day got an email saying I wasn't being considered for the job as dishwasher. This is a slap in the face to the people who are always saying "such and such is ALWAYS hiring, go fill out an application".
No it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top