U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 12:33 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,361,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Which there aren't too many non-McJobs out there. Many professional positions are perma-temp these days.
yeah I saw a article saying "The era of Temps" lol

Old 06-28-2013, 01:08 PM

27,395 posts, read 15,816,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
yeah I saw a article saying "The era of Temps" lol
And they don't really have the bargaining power when it comes to the wage game.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:20 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,581,975 times
Quote:
But you have so many other opportunities with your experience. Dish washing jobs should only be for those who have criminal backgrounds and looking for a 2nd chance or a older person with limited work experience.
So now you want to limit who can apply for what jobs? I understand people with criminal backgrounds needing a 2nd chance, believe me. I have a brother who fits that criteria, but even so -- once we start saying that only a person with such and such situation should be able to apply, not basing it on ability, that leads to all sorts of problems. For example, I know a guy with a trust fund. Nice house, paid for. Brand new mustang. Plenty of money to live on.

He works as a bagger at our local grocery, because he is mentally disabled and can't do much more than that. He doesn't "need" the job though. My son could do that job and my son NEEDS the job. So what if we required someone to prove they NEED a job before allowing them to apply? As much as I wish he'd quit and leave that job to someone who needs it, we can't think like that.

And as was explained, I don't have the opportunities based on my experience because of my schedule limitations as a student. There are a handful of 3rd shift data entry jobs in town, but they are rare.

Quote:
So there are no other jobs with little interaction besides dish washing?
There aren't many jobs, in general, that allow for little interaction.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:44 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,361,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
So now you want to limit who can apply for what jobs? I understand people with criminal backgrounds needing a 2nd chance, believe me. I have a brother who fits that criteria, but even so -- once we start saying that only a person with such and such situation should be able to apply, not basing it on ability, that leads to all sorts of problems. For example, I know a guy with a trust fund. Nice house, paid for. Brand new mustang. Plenty of money to live on.

He works as a bagger at our local grocery, because he is mentally disabled and can't do much more than that. He doesn't "need" the job though. My son could do that job and my son NEEDS the job. So what if we required someone to prove they NEED a job before allowing them to apply? As much as I wish he'd quit and leave that job to someone who needs it, we can't think like that.

And as was explained, I don't have the opportunities based on my experience because of my schedule limitations as a student. There are a handful of 3rd shift data entry jobs in town, but they are rare.

There aren't many jobs, in general, that allow for little interaction.

What about telemarketing? I think that would be a good option which stregthens marketing skills and present the chance for bonuses

Old 06-28-2013, 01:47 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,581,975 times
Quote:
What about telemarketing? I think that would be a good option which stregthens marketing skills and present the chance for bonuses

Ewww. No. Not a job for an introvert. I've done it, and I would do it again if I HAD to but at this point I don't HAVE to so I will pass.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:52 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,932,688 times
It's not unusual for restaurants to hire people into the entry jobs -- bussers, dishwashers, etc, and later promote them into roles with more responsibilities.

It also occurred to me that by having dishwasher applicants complete an online application, they may be trying to screen for the ability to read/write English.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:25 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,907,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
It's not unusual for restaurants to hire people into the entry jobs -- bussers, dishwashers, etc, and later promote them into roles with more responsibilities.
That is more likely to happen in a good economy though, when there's a dearth of qualified/experienced talent on the outside and there's plenty of money to waste.

In this economy however, I'd say they better get used to being a dishwasher for a while. That's why so many people are job hopping these days.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:53 PM

9,735 posts, read 18,447,923 times
Do all or most employers require a online application ?

Old 06-28-2013, 06:53 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,085,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Which there aren't too many non-McJobs out there. Many professional positions are perma-temp these days.
Corporate wide, at dozens of facilities, we utilize perma temps for less than 2% of all professional positions, and almost exclusively at entry level. My last employer-also with a 5 figure headcount, has the same pattern. Temps, used to fiill spots, are few and far between.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:46 PM

10,582 posts, read 8,291,523 times
(Duplicate post)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or