U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 02:54 PM

2,683 posts, read 3,414,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Why would older folks, many of whom are retired or about to retire, need to apply for a job?

And even if they did need to apply for one, I'm sure they have children or grandchildren to help them out.
I'm not sure if the OP is talking about older workers, though. He was talking about being surprised that potential dishwashers would need to fill out online applications. I don't think that he was specifying a certain age.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:58 PM

503 posts, read 1,033,110 times
Quote:
Why would older folks, many of whom are retired or about to retire, need to apply for a job?

And even if they did need to apply for one, I'm sure they have children or grandchildren to help them out.
Does everybody magically receive free money to pay rental costs, groceries, transit, utilities, medical and so on once they hit 65?

Does everybody's family magically rush to their aid wherever they are whateber they're doing when someone turns 65?

Old 06-29-2013, 03:05 PM

2,683 posts, read 3,414,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
Does everybody magically receive free money to pay rental costs, groceries, transit, utilities, medical and so on once they hit 65?

Does everybody's family magically rush to their aid wherever they are whateber they're doing when someone turns 65?
Exactly.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:10 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,891,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post

Ever heard of retirement packages and SS/Medicare?

Old 06-29-2013, 03:14 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,710,164 times
Quote:
living on social security is not an option most people want to take. it's a tiny amount of income. and some people don't have retirement packages.

my mom is turning 65 in a little over a month and she has no plans to retire. she's not getting a pension from her work. she might actually keep her health insurance instead of going on medicare because a medicare supplement may be more expensive than what she gets through work. my dad is already 65, and he's going to retire next month but continue to work as a part time contractor for his current employer. he hasn't been there that long - just a few years, and i'm not sure how much of a pension he's built up with them. he was laid off by his employer of 20+ years before that.

i mean, just look around you when you're in the grocery store or whatever. there are plenty of older people who are still working, and at entry level jobs too. most of them are not doing it for fun.

plenty of people are able to retire comfortably, but many, many people are not.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:15 PM

503 posts, read 1,033,110 times
Quote:
Ever heard of retirement packages and SS?
Not everybody is sitting on a fat retirement package. Not a single person in my family has a survivable "retirement." My parents are close to "retirement age." My father will be working until death and if my mother's health keeps declining she won't be able to keep her job and won't get health insurance in retirement (and cancer is rampant in her family.)

Old 06-29-2013, 03:15 PM

2,608 posts, read 3,844,004 times
Quote:
Uh... Have you seen the news over the last few years? Many people close to retirement lost a lot of their retirement fund when the market crashed. Social security isn't much if anything. Medicare does not cover all medical or prescription costs. My grandmother had to move in with my mom. She receives social security and retirement but between the two she receives about $1,500 a month. Medicare only covers a small amount of her prescriptions, she has about $900 a month in medication costs after insurance.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:16 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,891,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
living on social security is not an option most people want to take. it's a tiny amount of income. and some people don't have retirement packages.

my mom is turning 65 in a little over a month and she has no plans to retire. she's not getting a pension from her work. she might actually keep her health insurance instead of going on medicare because a medicare supplement may be more expensive than what she gets through work. my dad is already 65, and he's going to retire next month but continue to work as a part time contractor for his current employer.

i mean, just look around you when you're in the grocery store or whatever. there are plenty of older people who are still working, and at entry level jobs too.

plenty of people are able to retire comfortably, but many, many people are not.
Some people may not be able to afford to retire (and continue to remain on their jobs). There are also those who, after retirement, may take on a part time job. But I imagine they're not the norm.

Just as well, even though unemployment is high and there are folks struggling to find work, there are many in the workforce (80-90% of it actually) who continue to do ok in this economy.

Keep in mind in the midst of this conservation, no one has said anything about ALL older people.

Last edited by 313Weather; 06-29-2013 at 03:25 PM..

Old 06-29-2013, 03:25 PM

2,608 posts, read 3,844,004 times
Quote:
Some people may not be able to afford to retire (And continue to remain on their jobs). There are also those who, after retirement, may take on a part time job. But I imagine they're not the norm.

Keep in mind in the midst of this conservation, no one has said anything about ALL older people.
Actually, it's becoming increasingly prevalent that people are having to put off retirement.

Strapped for retirement, more hope to work longer - Washington Post

One in three people aren't even saving for retirement. Only 57% of people surveyed were actively saving for retirement. I know a lot of people who won't be retiring for a long time. It's not because they want to keep working, but social security is so minimal and many people don't even think of saving for retirement until they're older. Plus, a lot of people use their retirement accounts as a savings account.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:27 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,710,164 times
Quote:
Some people may not be able to afford to retire (And continue to remain on their jobs). There are also those who, after retirement, may take on a part time job. But I imagine they're not the norm.
Many older workers can't afford to retire

Quote:
Workers are not saving enough to retire comfortably. A survey this month by the Employee Benefit Research Institute, a think tank, found that 57 percent of workers reported less than $25,000 in total savings other than the value of a home or a defined-benefit pension. That included 28 percent with less than $1,000, up from 20 percent in 2009.

Savings as a percentage of disposable personal income fell from more than 10 percent in the mid-1980s to 2.4 percent in January.

Fewer private-sector workers can expect a traditional defined-benefit pension. About 15 percent are in a plan now, versus 30 percent three decades ago. About 85 percent of public-sector workers have one. A survey by the Center for Retirement Research at Boston College in 2010 said 55 percent of workers have neither a pension plan nor a defined-contribution plan such as a 401(k).
The Greatest Retirement Crisis In American History - Forbes

Quote:
Just as well, even though unemployment is high and there are folks struggling to find work, there are many in the workforce who continue to do quite well in this economy.

you said "why would older folks need to apply for a job?"

that certainly implies that it would never happen. or if they were having trouble financially, surely their kids will help out! well what if they don't have kids, or if their kids are struggling too?

my parents are intelligent, educated people and hard workers, both from upper middle class backgrounds. they have always lived comfortably enough, not extravagantly but just fine. they are not desperately poor people. but they can't just retire with no thought of making money ever again. from my personal experience, i don't think this is so unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or