U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 09:08 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,764,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I obviously failed to make my point but am amazed that MY generation is being so summarily dismissed as being totally computer illiterate.
Who said any generation was "totally computer illiterate?" Not one person said that!

Old 07-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 19 days ago)

10,483 posts, read 14,316,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Actually, most of the time they are NOT recording. It's only when something is going on then they actually record. Same with banks. How do I know? Work in retail long enough and you learn a lot.

Proving an employee is a thief is VERY hard unless they're on a register and it's seriously short repeatedly.

Most of those fancy cameras you see aren't being monitored most of the time. If stores have security, it's one guy. he works 40 hours a week. Don't forget he gets sick and has vacation. Stores are also open more than 40 hours a week. The poor guy gets lunch as well. One the massive big box stores even have security guys. Most stores just have the cameras and most are fake or not actually doing anything. They're there to be a deterrent.
Going OT, but...
don't be too sure of that. I have access to 12 cameras recording during regular hours, plus a few more that only LP can view, and we are not a big box store, just a small chain location. Our local PD probably has a box full of DVD's we've burnt for them to use as evidence.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:37 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,399,658 times
Quote:
Who said any generation was "totally computer illiterate?" Not one person said that!
Insinuated in Post #250.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:08 AM

2,609 posts, read 3,844,923 times
Quote:
Insinuated in Post #250.
It says:

There are older folks who don't know how to use a computer.

Granted, they don't need to know. Most of them are already comfortably retired and paid their dues.

Nowhere is it even implied that the older generation was entirely computer illiterate. In fact the way the post was worded clearly shows that the poster knows that not all of the older generation has trouble with computers.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
It says:

There are older folks who don't know how to use a computer.

Granted, they don't need to know. Most of them are already comfortably retired and paid their dues.

Nowhere is it even implied that the older generation was entirely computer illiterate. In fact the way the post was worded clearly shows that the poster knows that not all of the older generation has trouble with computers.
Good grief. Amazingly enough, even at my advanced age I can both read and comprehend. No need for a repeat on something that was already hashed out to the max in previous posts. My humble apologies for having dared to not put a big smiley after my comment. I'll try and remember in future. (insert as necessary after each sentence).

Old 07-01-2013, 12:32 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,300,864 times
Quote:
The longer you remain fixated on how you think things "should be" the more disappointed you'll be. It's the way things are whether you like it or not. I do hope that when some of your "clients" apply for what you consider "menial" jobs you don't dissuade them from applying because of an online application process but rather assist them with it and guide them through it.

I try to provide job leads from referrals and the philly daily news so they can fax or email.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen View Post
I have experience in those job fields as well, that is what my resume is targeted for and that is all I have been applying for. Therefore I am not sure where or why you believe that those who are not getting called back are just randomly applying; those are my primary fields. I'll just chalk it up to the economy being better where you are as opposed to Atlanta even though it seems people are making mass exoduses from up north (NYC, NJ, MD, etc) to come here without jobs and with the knowledge the unemployment rate is high.

There are some who said they applied to 100 jobs and that just sounds to me they applied to anything. If someone says 8 or 9 then that sounds more like they took their time and read the ad to determine if they are a good fit.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, this works extraordinarily well for mortgages, rent, food, electric/gas, etc.
: smack:

It works for gas, phone, and electric.

Not CABLE, RENT, and FOOD

Old 07-01-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
You mean FedEx? Well the closet FedEx location to me is well over an hour away. How exactly is that easier than sitting on my couch to fill ou an application?

You do realize that many people don't have a FedEx location in their backyard, neighborhood, town, or even county, right? And, no, I don't live in a corn field in the middle of Nebraska. Those in Nebraska or who live near corn fields that comment was not not meant to be a slight on you. It was just meant to show that people can live in an area without being in the middle of nowhere and still not have services.

Where I live, one of my street is in the city limits. The other end is in the town and considered rural. There isn't cable on one end of the street. Phone lines are also limited - no real high speed. My street is about a mile long. There's plenty of rural past that, but it's not 100 miles to the closest Walmart or Wegman's. Somehow people have survived here for hundreds of years - literally - without a FedEx.......somehow we'll keep chugging on I suppose.

So that means you would seek out those jobs ads that only require

1. Simple Online Process...5 mins or less

2. A direct email with resume attached to a HR rep

Old 07-01-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I try to provide job leads from referrals and the philly daily news so they can fax or email.
Are you saying that you avoid giving them leads to positions for which they might qualify if those leads require an online application?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or