U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 10:52 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,353,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
So you would rather watch an episode of some program like The Jeffersons you have already watched a dozen times or go to some fetish site than apply for a job?

How much time do you advise your "clients" to spend on their job search?

At our local Library branch, you could stay on the computer all day if there wasn't anyone waiting.

Job search should consist of

65% researching
25% networking
10% applying

The End

Old 07-04-2013, 10:55 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,725,318 times
you didn't answer the question.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
you didn't answer the question.

My TV was off between 9am and 6pm when I was unemployed. Only the radio for background sound

Old 07-04-2013, 11:35 AM

2,609 posts, read 3,848,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I don't give cliche advice instead I give the advice that landed me my job. Understand what I am trying to explain to you?
I have helped people on this actual site get a job where I live. I worked as a staffing manager and hired for numerous companies, some of them huge multi-billion dollar corporations. I ran background checks, I did drug testing, I looked at actual applications and was able to decide who was a good candidate and who was not. I know how to help people get real work. I have actually hired and helped hundreds of people get work.

I understand what you are saying just fine, which is why I think you give terrible advice.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I have helped people on this actual site get a job where I live. I worked as a staffing manager and hired for numerous companies, some of them huge multi-billion dollar corporations. I ran background checks, I did drug testing, I looked at actual applications and was able to decide who was a good candidate and who was not. I know how to help people get real work. I have actually hired and helped hundreds of people get work.

I understand what you are saying just fine, which is why I think you give terrible advice.

Telling people to research and network more than applying is bad advice?

As my grandmom used to say................"I SEE" lol

Old 07-04-2013, 12:31 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,481,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I simply cannot believe you are an employment counselor. The amount of terrible advice you give is astounding.
Absolutely stunning too.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Absolutely stunning too.
You still sound mad but I guess you will accept it one day

Old 07-04-2013, 12:44 PM

503 posts, read 1,034,358 times
Could be worse. I've read articles written by recruiters who "play with their food" to make them look busy in front of their boss so they don't actually have to do their job.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:29 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,441,490 times
Default I Agree with Seain Dublin & WestPhillyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
If you can look left and right, you can pretty much round up carts in a parking lot.

There is no reason to do a full background check for jobs like this. With cameras everywhere, if someone is stealing from the stockroom they will get caught.

JMO, unless someone is applying for a job that involves driving a bus, company vehicle, truck, etc or they're going to be operating heavy/dangerous machinery, I think drug testing is a bit much.

It certainly is to stock shelves and run a cash register.

I wonder how much money Target wastes on drug testing and background checks in regards to their turnover for these low level jobs. I guess it is passed on to the consumer.
I agree. Low-paying or simple jobs requiring all of this jumping through hoops doesn't make sense to me either. They've hired people who passed all the drug and background checks and yet these companies still experience employee theft, poor work performance, and high turnover. So what was the point?? Meanwhile, people who aren't computer-savvy, who have made bad decisions in the past (PAST being keyword), people who have paid their time for their crimes (ex-cons), smoke marijuana occasionally, or those elderly who aren't computer-literate won't get hired. What are they supposed to do?? They need to work and earn an income just like the upwardly mobile. If they're not allowed to legally earn an income then they will continue to need to be totally supported by Uncle Sam (which is our tax money), work off the books (which means they pay NO taxes so they rest of carry that tax burden), or the person resorts to crime. None of these are decent options for people who want to work. I say these foolish background checks for low-level jobs are ridiculous and hurt more then they help the general public and the economy overall.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:15 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,441,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl25 View Post
Just quit being so snooty and disrespectful of people with lower paying jobs. Some people have more than one job and own a computer. Not everyone is qualified for an office job. Even people who have office jobs should probably be dishwashers instead of what they are doing.

Aside from teens and felons, there are probably a few others who would want to be a dishwasher. For instance, someone going through culinary school. Culinary school is expensive and you would typically want to work in a place where you could get your foot in the door at a restaurant and be able to pay tuition. Yet you aren't yet qualified to be a chef or prep cook. And working in an office would be useless and impractical to them because that's not the career they want.

Besides it is hard work. It's not an easy job. I doubt WestPhillyDude would be able to stand on his feet for 10 minutes much less 10 hours and do what they do. Dishwashing is a lot harder than surfing the internet and finding jobs. That's really easy and anyone can do that. I was on the internet for 5 minutes and helped someone find 10 different jobs. Big deal. Do we really need government workers to do that? What a waste of taxpayer money.

I beg to differ with the statement that I bolded. Dishwashing is physically harder but not necessarily harder as far as being more mentally challenging. Just as not everyone can do dishwashing jobs due to the physical requirements not everyone can help or assist people in finding jobs (lack of people skill, knowledge of the job market, impatience, etc.) That would explain why job recruiters make much more money than dishwashers. YES, we do need workers, whether gov't or private sectors, TO DO THAT! It's good you were able to help a person find ten different jobs in five minutes but just because you chose to perform a valuable skill for free doesn't mean there should be persons paid to do this. It's providing a valuable service so it's a legitimate job. There is no sector of employment where people won't need help of some kind in one way or another (which is why there are head-hunters for education, medical, legal, and corporate managerial and executive positions) at some point in their lives. So why should employment recruiters be looked down upon just because they're employed by the gov't? I don't get that. I would rather the gov't work to assist people (even the lower class) in finding employment than just allowing them to remain on gov't handouts and entitlements. I really don't get the reasoning for the negative comments toward the OP's occupation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or