Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 10:07 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Some may wonder why it took you a year(or was it longer?) to find a job ... Not for most of us .... When was it you rejected a job because it was too far away for you?(more than 15min) March of last year comes to mind.

That 45min "is too long to spend on an application" ... For a person that is unemployed .. is beyond your normal craziness.

It don't matter how long it took me to find a job, all that matters that I;m working now and happy

The End

Old 07-06-2013, 10:14 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
It don't matter how long it took me to find a job, all that matters that I;m working now and happy

The End
Tick-Tock ... Tick-Tock ...

Old 07-06-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Tick-Tock ... Tick-Tock ...

you sound mad too

Old 07-06-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
you sound mad too
Mad ? No ... Surprised you can keep a job giving the advice you do ...

Old 07-06-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Mad ? No ... Surprised you can keep a job giving the advice you do ...

My job is to promote HOPE that jobs are out there and give resume advice not place people in jobs

Old 07-06-2013, 11:05 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,324 times
Quote:
My job is to promote HOPE that jobs are out there and give resume advice not place people in jobs
And it shows. As someone who's job was to actually place people in jobs and make sure they got paid, your advice comes across as absolutely terrible. Personally, if I was looking for employment and I had the option of taking advice from someone who couldn't get a job for a year then got a job as an employment counselor who doesn't actually hire anyone OR someone who's actually hired people I'd take the latter.

But that's just me.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
If you tell people don't spend a lot of time with applications you are doing them a disservice.

What advice do you give regarding employment tests? General knowledge, Knowledge of the job, Psych, etc. How much time should they allow for THAT?

Old 07-06-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
And it shows. As someone who's job was to actually place people in jobs and make sure they got paid, your advice comes across as absolutely terrible. Personally, if I was looking for employment and I had the option of taking advice from someone who couldn't get a job for a year then got a job as an employment counselor who doesn't actually hire anyone OR someone who's actually hired people I'd take the latter.

But that's just me.

It can't be too terrible I was hired

Old 07-06-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
If you tell people don't spend a lot of time with applications you are doing them a disservice.

What advice do you give regarding employment tests? General knowledge, Knowledge of the job, Psych, etc. How much time should they allow for THAT?

All the jobs leads I provide involves

emailing their resumes directly to someone
faxing their resumes directly to someone
mailing their resumes directly to someone

Not too often I am giving out a lead that requires them to complete a online application because of how annoying they are. I don't express that to them I just act like online applications don't exist

Old 07-06-2013, 11:24 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,324 times
Quote:
It can't be too terrible I was hired
Hey, good for you getting hired.

It doesn't mean you give sound advice. People should spend equal amounts of time networking, researching, and applying. If you don't apply then you will never get a job. From my experience, many of the people you need to network with won't even speak to you until you've filled out the application. When I hired people I wouldn't spend more than 5-10 minutes talking to you until you've filled out an application. Once you filled out an application I had a better idea of what I could offer you and I would spend much more time speaking to you. Even if I couldn't hire you I could oftentimes point you in the right direction of where you needed to apply and who you needed to speak to. But without seeing an application I was unable to gauge your experience or what positions would work best for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search