U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 11:30 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,293,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Hey, good for you getting hired.

It doesn't mean you give sound advice. People should spend equal amounts of time networking, researching, and applying. If you don't apply then you will never get a job. From my experience, many of the people you need to network with won't even speak to you until you've filled out the application. When I hired people I wouldn't spend more than 5-10 minutes talking to you until you've filled out an application. Once you filled out an application I had a better idea of what I could offer you and I would spend much more time speaking to you. Even if I couldn't hire you I could oftentimes point you in the right direction of where you needed to apply and who you needed to speak to. But without seeing an application I was unable to gauge your experience or what positions would work best for you.

I said people should network and research more than applying to jobs and you are telling me that's wrong???

Old 07-06-2013, 11:38 AM

2,801 posts, read 1,830,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I said people should network and research more than applying to jobs and you are telling me that's wrong???
Your ratios is what is wrong.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:40 AM

2,801 posts, read 1,830,736 times
Quote:

Not too often I am giving out a lead that requires them to complete a online application because of how annoying they are. I don't express that to them I just act like online applications don't exist
Now wait a second here, wasn't there a discussion a while back that the only way to apply IS on-line?

Wow you really are doing your clients a disservice, maybe one of your bosses is reading this thread.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Your ratios is what is wrong.

Researching.............helps someone find out where the jobs are and how to do well on interviews

Networking.................gets your name to certain people and your resume in the right hands

Applying to jobs is a 50/50 chance of hearing something back

So why would someone not spend more time networking and researching??? Talk to me

Old 07-06-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Now wait a second here, wasn't there a discussion a while back that the only way to apply IS on-line?

Wow you really are doing your clients a disservice, maybe one of your bosses is reading this thread.

I said ONLINE APPLICATIONS. You can still apply to jobs online without completing a application

Old 07-06-2013, 11:49 AM

27,306 posts, read 15,772,260 times
Quote:
If you tell people don't spend a lot of time with applications you are doing them a disservice.

What advice do you give regarding employment tests? General knowledge, Knowledge of the job, Psych, etc. How much time should they allow for THAT?
He does a disservice in other ways too. Just look through this thread and you'll see them. The fact is part of the problem with job searches is unless you actually get a job, something is wrong even if you are doing everything right because other candidates can always be better, the jobs didn't really exist or you are over-qualified. Being over-qualified is not really something you can control. The fact is many jobs people are perfectly qualified either don't exist or the criteria for these jobs are too specified.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
All the jobs leads I provide involves

emailing their resumes directly to someone
faxing their resumes directly to someone
mailing their resumes directly to someone

Not too often I am giving out a lead that requires them to complete a online application because of how annoying they are. I don't express that to them I just act like online applications don't exist
And that works but in some cases doing things online does help as well. There is no right answer for which method is the best. Plus some work in some areas and others work in others. No job search method is perfect unless it is the one that gets you the job.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And that works but in some cases doing things online does help as well. There is no right answer for which method is the best. Plus some work in some areas and others work in others. No job search method is perfect unless it is the one that gets you the job.

Correct, there are not rules for job searching you just have to be creative.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:18 PM

17,002 posts, read 20,672,524 times
[quote=Klassyhk;30330000]I agree. Low-paying or simple jobs requiring all of this jumping through hoops doesn't make sense to me either. They've hired people who passed all the drug and background checks and yet these companies still experience employee theft, poor work performance, and high turnover. So what was the point?? Meanwhile, people who aren't computer-savvy, who have made bad decisions in the past (PAST being keyword), people who have paid their time for their crimes (ex-cons), smoke marijuana occasionally, or those elderly who aren't computer-literate won't get hired. What are they supposed to do?? They need to work and earn an income just like the upwardly mobile. If they're not allowed to legally earn an income then they will continue to need to be totally supported by Uncle Sam (which is our tax money), work off the books (which means they pay NO taxes so they rest of carry that tax burden), or the person resorts to crime. None of these are decent options for people who want to work. I say these foolish background checks for low-level jobs are ridiculous and hurt more then they help the general public and the economy overall.[/QU

Exactly. What you end up with is people who are on some type of govt. assistance(or more govt. assistance) due to the fact that they get excluded from these types of jobs.

And you know companies like Target that do these drug, background, and credit checks are passing the costs along to the customer.

I was floored when the Target cashier told me that they don't fire these people who blow off a shift the first time it happens....LOL.

But they better not smoke pot, need a certain credit score, and better never have written a bad check when they were 17.

But blowing off work is OK.

IMO, people who don't show up for work and don't even bother to call that they're not coming to work are much worse than someone smoking a joint on their own time.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Researching.............helps someone find out where the jobs are and how to do well on interviews

Networking.................gets your name to certain people and your resume in the right hands

Applying to jobs is a 50/50 chance of hearing something back

So why would someone not spend more time networking and researching??? Talk to me
In a perfect utopian world I would say it is 50/50. We are VERY far from utopia these days. The only somewhat utopia was the economy that existed in the 50's, 60's and early 70's when you had Esinehower and Kennedy/Johnson economics along with the US sending out exports to a war-torn and recovering Europe and Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or