U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 12:36 PM

2,609 posts, read 3,845,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Now wait a second here, wasn't there a discussion a while back that the only way to apply IS on-line?

Wow you really are doing your clients a disservice, maybe one of your bosses is reading this thread.
I don't work anymore, my husband wanted me to stay home so I do.

I've told you twice now that people need to spend equal amounts time applying, researching, and networking. Focusing too much on one area and too little on another will hinder a job hunt. Online job applications are by far the easiest way for any HR to handle the application process. You wouldn't understand this because you don't actually hire anyone.

I don't think I'm the one doing the disservice, especially since it was my old boss (who still manages and does the actual HIRING, unlike you) who put the focus on getting an application done before we moved to anything else.

You help people look for jobs but you don't hire them. This automatically means there are things about the hiring process you do not understand. Though honestly, if you wanted too you probably could. It appears more like you're sticking your hands over your ears, closing your eyes, and going "lalalala" whenever anyone else brings up legitimate complaints about your "advice".

Old 07-06-2013, 12:44 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I don't work anymore, my husband wanted me to stay home so I do.

I've told you twice now that people need to spend equal amounts time applying, researching, and networking. Focusing too much on one area and too little on another will hinder a job hunt. Online job applications are by far the easiest way for any HR to handle the application process. You wouldn't understand this because you don't actually hire anyone.

I don't think I'm the one doing the disservice, especially since it was my old boss (who still manages and does the actual HIRING, unlike you) who put the focus on getting an application done before we moved to anything else.

You help people look for jobs but you don't hire them. This automatically means there are things about the hiring process you do not understand. Though honestly, if you wanted too you probably could. It appears more like you're sticking your hands over your ears, closing your eyes, and going "lalalala" whenever anyone else brings up legitimate complaints about your "advice".

I do know the hiring process today for most places is a joke. And online applications shouldn't have to be so long and annoying for some places which makes most people frustrated

Old 07-06-2013, 12:45 PM

27,328 posts, read 15,780,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I agree. Low-paying or simple jobs requiring all of this jumping through hoops doesn't make sense to me either. They've hired people who passed all the drug and background checks and yet these companies still experience employee theft, poor work performance, and high turnover. So what was the point?? Meanwhile, people who aren't computer-savvy, who have made bad decisions in the past (PAST being keyword), people who have paid their time for their crimes (ex-cons), smoke marijuana occasionally, or those elderly who aren't computer-literate won't get hired. What are they supposed to do?? They need to work and earn an income just like the upwardly mobile. If they're not allowed to legally earn an income then they will continue to need to be totally supported by Uncle Sam (which is our tax money), work off the books (which means they pay NO taxes so they rest of carry that tax burden), or the person resorts to crime. None of these are decent options for people who want to work. I say these foolish background checks for low-level jobs are ridiculous and hurt more then they help the general public and the economy overall.
Exactly. What you end up with is people who are on some type of govt. assistance(or more govt. assistance) due to the fact that they get excluded from these types of jobs.

And you know companies like Target that do these drug, background, and credit checks are passing the costs along to the customer.

I was floored when the Target cashier told me that they don't fire these people who blow off a shift the first time it happens....LOL.

But they better not smoke pot, need a certain credit score, and better never have written a bad check when they were 17.

But blowing off work is OK.

IMO, people who don't show up for work and don't even bother to call that they're not coming to work are much worse than someone smoking a joint on their own time.
"Blowing off work is hit or miss" I worked in a place where you couldn't no-call/no-show any more than three times. I only did it once mainly because it was the first DST that was in March so I went to work late but ended up being two hours late. Sometimes blowing off work is not as easy as I don't feel like getting in. Don't get me wrong, it should be a good ding but it shouldn't be a fire-able offense.

Don't get me wrong, I agree drug, and credit checks are not necessarily needed for the jobs they are and ultimately we all end up taking the brunt of these costs as well as employees who face lower pay.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:46 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,419,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Correct, there are not rules for job searching you just have to be creative.
Very funny! That's a total contradiction to almost everything you post where job searching and unemployment is concerned where you poo-poo the opinions of everyone who actually has experience hiring and then come up with specific lists of (erroneous) dos and don'ts ending with a dismissive, "THE END".

Old 07-06-2013, 12:51 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,419,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Sometimes blowing off work is not as easy as I don't feel like getting in. Don't get me wrong, it should be a good ding but it shouldn't be a fire-able offense.
If there ever comes a day when you become a business owner or manager you will likely end up feeling very differently. It's not OK and it is cause for dismissal.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I do know the hiring process today for most places is a joke. And online applications shouldn't have to be so long and annoying for some places which makes most people frustrated
It is, a lot of places seem to not realize that the juice from getting a low wage job through an hour long application and maybe a month or two waiting out to get the job.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It is, a lot of places seem to not realize that the juice from getting a low wage job through an hour long application and maybe a month or two waiting out to get the job.

While someone who has the skills for a job paying so much more only has to send a email. Makes no sense

Old 07-06-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
While someone who has the skills for a job paying so much more only has to send a email. Makes no sense
No not at all. You would think it would be reverse to prevent false fits because the costs of replacing higher level employees is much higher.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:19 PM

2,609 posts, read 3,845,693 times
Quote:
Online applications are not for the applicant, they are for HR.

I highly doubt you know much about the hiring process. Based on your own posts you actually seem to be fairly clueless about what actually goes on.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Online applications are not for the applicant, they are for HR.

I highly doubt you know much about the hiring process. Based on your own posts you actually seem to be fairly clueless about what actually goes on.

Yeah it makes things easier for HR who already have jobs while making things harder for the unemployed

What a joke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or