U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 06:01 PM

2,609 posts, read 3,849,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
I think you are responding to the wrong post.
Lol I did, sorry! I am on my phone and by the time I noticed he had already responded. My bad.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:58 PM

2,801 posts, read 1,835,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Lol I did, sorry! I am on my phone and by the time I noticed he had already responded. My bad.
Hey that's cool, I almost jumped the gun, but read your entire post and thought, oh wait, she isn't talking to me.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:55 PM

5,511 posts, read 8,176,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
But a person who only qualifies for a job like that won't have internet access or knowledge of how to complete a online application.
I haven't read through this whole thread, but unfortunately, like probably many have said, in this competitive society, I guess a person better take one of those free courses they offer at their public library on how to use the internet & then stay at the library & use the computer to apply or jobs online, no matter how menial they are.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:58 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,376,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I haven't read through this whole thread, but unfortunately, like probably many have said, in this competitive society, I guess a person better take one of those free courses they offer at their public library on how to use the internet & then stay at the library & use the computer to apply or jobs online, no matter how menial they are.

For a dishwasher job I just thought you would see a sign in the window of the store saying "we are hiring" and to be there at a certain time.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:59 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,701,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
No one should need a course on how to use the internet -- 18 month old babies can now use the internet.

It's not any harder filling out an on-line application than it is a paper one, easier actually because you can just stay home in bed and do it.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:01 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,376,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No one should need a course on how to use the internet -- 18 month old babies can now use the internet.

It's not any harder filling out an on-line application than it is a paper one, easier actually because you can just stay home in bed and do it.

Some sites require you to create a password and username before applying and some maybe have a problem with that.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:06 PM

3,966 posts, read 9,424,951 times
lol @ an application for washing dishes. The place asking for that **** is a failure. There are plenty of restaurants and places that will accept "I am interested in the job" email or going in person to fill out your name and minor experience.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:16 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,701,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Some sites require you to create a password and username before applying and some maybe have a problem with that.
Well -- that's almost like someone not knowing how to read and write I think -- you have to know the basics for the times you live in.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:38 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,730,330 times
i've done tech support for people with literally no computer skills (like teaching them to copy and paste over the phone!), and i once helped a woman who worked as a cleaner at my work set up a gmail account and an account in our hr program to apply for a job with the hospital (our cleaners work for a different company). it took like 10 minutes before she was confident in what she was doing and was not a big deal.

the tech support stuff was sometimes a big deal, but they were doing much more complex stuff than online applications. still, even if people don't have computer skills, they know someone with computer skills who can help them.

my stint as a dishwasher was before online applications were common, but i still had to fill out a paper application. it was for a chain restaurant.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:39 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,628,789 times
That just means they want someone with a degree to wash their dishes! (They must think their dishes are very important, and they want a certain "class" to wash them!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or