Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 01:27 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Unemployed folks should be looking for work , at least, 40 hours per week.the same amount a full time employee works.

Waiting for an available pc should not be an issue when you have all your time free.
EMPLOYERS AREN'T POSTING 40 hour a week jobs. You are lucky if you get anything over 30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
You wasn't supposed to search for jobs all day because that's not productive. you find the right jobs which is about a 2 hour activity and spend the rest of the day

networking online
sending cold emails
creating new resumes
creating new cover letters
researching inside contacts for companies
First off finding jobs an applications will only take two hours if you apply to one job.
Second off, those other job search activities could very well take up a good amount of the day. I am not sure if this is a part of the job search but you should not just limit activities to the job search. Get out and do stuff and try to have some fun if not for a little while.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:22 AM

503 posts, read 1,171,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Get out and do stuff and try to have some fun if not for a little while.
Fun? What is this strange word. A noun? Sounds like fungus...

Old 06-28-2013, 04:50 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,476,176 times
Quote:
Because to do less is a disservice to the taxpayers and employers paying for their life on the dole.
You make an assumption that every unemployed person is collecting unemployment insurance or some other government money.

What about unemployed folks that aren't on unemploment insurance or any other kind of program? Do you expect that they look for work 40 hrs a week?

Old 06-28-2013, 05:05 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
EMPLOYERS AREN'T POSTING 40 hour a week jobs. You are lucky if you get anything over 30.

First off finding jobs an applications will only take two hours if you apply to one job.
Second off, those other job search activities could very well take up a good amount of the day. I am not sure if this is a part of the job search but you should not just limit activities to the job search. Get out and do stuff and try to have some fun if not for a little while.

you do that on the weekends

Old 06-28-2013, 05:08 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,859,955 times

Old 06-28-2013, 05:14 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,815,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargamer6 View Post
Hi. It's not 1950 anymore.
Never said it was. I was born in 50 - I was always ahead of my time...and still am. You might have total faith in progress but the point I was making not everything gets BETTER as you march forward in time. Washing dishes really does not exist anymore as far a job. You would work in an assembly line manner and load and unload and industrial dish washing machine...it's kind of a factory job where you do not manufacture product...Dish washing positions are for kids...but what kid is even going to apply for something that can be done by an new immigrant?

Old 06-28-2013, 09:24 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,780,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Some people who have expressed interest in dishwashing jobs and some of the ads I have come across requires you to complete a online application??? I mean someone who has a interest in being a dishwasher probably wouldn't have a computer at home or computer experience so to fill out a online application is beyond nuts.

clerical or customer service I can see but a job that does not require the use of a computer?? Now I can see how someone can turn to illegal ways of making money because for a dishwasher job you should just be able to fax a resume. You definitely didn't see ads like this in 1999.
The hiring manager probably got a hundred or more applications for each position.

Something wrong with his doing a little screening in advance, to find out which applicants had the interest and motivation to possibly move up out of that job later... such as applicants who went (for free) to the local library, were smart enough to use the typing skills they learned (for free) in high school, and filled out the application (for free) on the library's computer?

If you're absolutely stunned, it's usually because you haven't been paying attention or thinking.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:49 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
Quote:
In the McJob world, you are correct. In the professional world, you are wrong.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:50 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
What about unemployed folks that aren't on unemploment insurance or any other kind of program? Do you expect that they look for work 40 hrs a week?

No. If not on the dole, what they do is no one elses' business.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:28 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
In the McJob world, you are correct. In the professional world, you are wrong.
Which there aren't too many non-McJobs out there. Many professional positions are perma-temp these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search