Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 01:16 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,668,801 times

Advertisements

i remember reading a while back that the people who are best with computers are people under 40 or so and people who were retired when computers came into common use. basically, people who grew up with computers and/or had the time to mess around with computers and learn how to use them. the worst are people who were working when computers became common. cause they were too busy working to learn.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:18 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
See the post above yours.
I am only too well aware that many "older" people don't know computers. It's 2013, and you need to know them. Computers have been in workplaces since the 1980s, and there is no excuse not to have a basic understanding of computers.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:20 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i remember reading a while back that the people who are best with computers are people under 40 or so and people who were retired when computers came into common use. basically, people who grew up with computers and/or had the time to mess around with computers and learn how to use them. the worst are people who were working when computers became common. cause they were too busy working to learn.
This seems to be close to my experiences. My old boss was a biologist and he just struggled with how everything was done now. He is a great biologist and super nice guy, but for the first 15-20 years he did his job he didn't have to use a computer.

My moms career doesn't require the use of a computer so she has never really picked up how to use one beyond basic functions.

My grandparents don't even own computers though lol.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:22 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,736,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
I am only too well aware that many "older" people don't know computers. It's 2013, and you need to know them. Computers have been in workplaces since the 1980s, and there is no excuse not to have a basic understanding of computers.
See post #254.

You don't NEED to know anything about computers if you have no use for them.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:22 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,324 times
No one ever said all older people don't know how to use computers.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
My dad is a perfect example. He could not care to learn a computer to save his life. He is FINALLY learning how to use apps on his feature (or dumb) phone such as learning to use music. My mother worked with computers but she only knows what she worked with such as e-mail, web searches, online ordering (relatively), Microsoft Office suite. Now yes, basic functions but it was what she did on her jobs.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:50 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
My dad is a perfect example. He could not care to learn a computer to save his life. He is FINALLY learning how to use apps on his feature (or dumb) phone such as learning to use music. My mother worked with computers but she only knows what she worked with such as e-mail, web searches, online ordering (relatively), Microsoft Office suite. Now yes, basic functions but it was what she did on her jobs.

And here's a flash-that's all she needs to know for her job. Why should she learn applications she will, in all probability, never need in either her professional or personal life?

I drive and so does most everyone. What's the percentage of drivers who can rebuild an engine or transmission? I don't know but I'll bet it's less than 10%. Why? Knowing how to do those things aren't needed for the task of driving.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:55 PM

398 posts, read 1,365,377 times

1994: "Today": "What is the Internet, Anyway?" - YouTube

Old 06-29-2013, 02:37 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
See post #254.

You don't NEED to know anything about computers if you have no use for them.
Perhaps not at home, but the original post was about finding a job. In today's technological society, you do need to know computers. Because most jobs are posted online now, and even if there is no online application you usually need email to send your resumes. Very few resumes are sent "snail mail" now.

Many retailers require applying online now. You also need to fill out those ridiculous questionnaires that they have. It must be done on the computer. I know that it is stupid, but that is how it's done now.

When I was hired for a retail job about 10 years ago, during "register training" we were trained on computers, not on the actual registers (which are computerized, BTW). There was one man who clearly had never been on a computer before. He had no idea what a mouse was. He couldn't do the training, and he had to leave.

And where are these job applicants going to write their resume? On a typewriter? On a 3x5 card?

Times have changed. Keypunch operators are now data entry clerks. Blue collar jobs in manufacturing very definitely require computer skills noways. Drafters work on computers on specialized software.

I know that it's sad that your average blue collar worker just can't arrive at a company and fill out a paper application by hand. I know that it is sad that they must apply online. I know that it is sad that they must have a resume (years ago resumes were only for executive jobs).

Yes, I know that a dishwasher may not need computer skills on the job. But he will need it to GET the job.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:50 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,736,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Perhaps not at home, but the original post was about finding a job. In today's technological society, you do need to know computers. Because most jobs are posted online now, and even if there is no online application you usually need email to send your resumes. Very few resumes are sent "snail mail" now.

Many retailers require applying online now. You also need to fill out those ridiculous questionnaires that they have. It must be done on the computer. I know that it is stupid, but that is how it's done now.

When I was hired for a retail job about 10 years ago, during "register training" we were trained on computers, not on the actual registers (which are computerized, BTW). There was one man who clearly had never been on a computer before. He had no idea what a mouse was. He couldn't do the training, and he had to leave.

And where are these job applicants going to write their resume? On a typewriter? On a 3x5 card?

Times have changed. Keypunch operators are now data entry clerks. Blue collar jobs in manufacturing very definitely require computer skills noways. Drafters work on computers on specialized software.

I know that it's sad that your average blue collar worker just can't arrive at a company and fill out a paper application by hand. I know that it is sad that they must apply online. I know that it is sad that they must have a resume (years ago resumes were only for executive jobs).

Yes, I know that a dishwasher may not need computer skills on the job. But he will need it to GET the job.
Why would older folks, many of whom are retired or about to retire, need to apply for a job?

And even if they did need to apply for one, I'm sure they have children or grandchildren to help them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search